WBBL|06 Final: Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder - Saturday, 28 November 2020 (7.10pm AEDT)

Winner and margin

• Haynes and co. by split-decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stars by a furlong/Ferling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Heather Knight, the player deemed not worthy of the Hobart Hurricanes, smacks a six to win the cup. Ahh it's so nice when it happens good.

Just when Hobart couldn’t be more dumb

Haynes has also now achieved the rare double of winning the WBBL and the old WNCL T20 championship as captain. Ten years apart too, mind you.

A thrashing in the end, and from the beginning. Ismail is so often harshly overlooked for Player of the Match awards. Bowlers in general, actually. For her to be on the money straight away and get the validation tonight, probably my favourite thing about a final that otherwise fell way short of expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cricket.com.au is saying it was the first time she chose to bat first since WBBL|02.

Of course if they had just adapted to the conditions and played better, the toss could've been rendered irrelevant. But the uncharacteristic decision before the match looks to be more indicative of a deeper problem, that being where their heads were at as a group. Trent Woodhill saying "we saw what happened to the Heat the other night while chasing" suggests, to me, they psyched themselves out. Letting another team's failure dictate your own actions, poor mental preparation.

It's not as if I haven't seen Meg make runs when the ball and pitch are doing a bit, as opposed to looking totally frazzled this evening. It's not as if du Preez hasn't smashed that same junk Johnson delivery for a boundary throughout the tournament, as opposed to toe-ending the ground first then missing the pill by half-a-metre!

Especially considering the one-sided nature of the game, the TV ratings were very good for last night (429,000 all up). I think it was the second-highest rating match in WBBL history, behind the 479k of the WBBL|04 final which was an Aus Day morning/arvo thriller on 7's main channel (this year's final outperformed it on Fox Cricket by 20k, as a rough guide for how it might've done on a primary FTA station rather than 7mate).

The first semi was the highest rating SF to date. The outrageous second SF might've beaten that if the Front Bar Cricket Edition wasn't airing at the same time on 7 proper (though I note the only real difference in the numbers across the two nights occurred in Melbourne).

Haven't seen a crowd figure yet. Stands looked excellent, however it appeared as though they could've safely fit more people on the hill, but what do I know.

Add another to the list.
Go the `gades :)

Back