WBBL|06 Final: Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder - Saturday, 28 November 2020 (7.10pm AEDT)

Winner and margin

• Haynes and co. by split-decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stars by a furlong/Ferling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The sixth championship decider comes down to the Stars and Thunder. A familiar feeling.

Date: Saturday, 28 November 2020
Time: 7.10pm AEDT
Venue: North Sydney Oval, NSW
Broadcast: Live on 7Mate, Fox Cricket and Kayo (check local guides)

Melbourne Stars (1st, 8-3-3)

Possible XI
Meg Lanning* 🇦🇺
Elyse Villani
Mignon du Preez 🇿🇦
Nat Sciver 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Annabel Sutherland 🇦🇺
Katherine Brunt 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Erin Osborne
Tess Flintoff
Alana King
Nicole Faltum+
Sophie Day

Injury concerns
Osborne was still noticeably troubled by a hamstring issue at times during Wednesday's win, though it didn't seem to hinder her output with the ball or in the field.

Semi-final form
King starred with her leg spin, taking key wickets for relatively few runs. Sciver and Sutherland stamped out any potential Scorchers miracle comeback with an easy 67-run partnership in ten overs to guide the Stars into their first-ever final.

The most ominous thing about the win is that Lanning only got out to some sort of sorcery and du Preez was removed cheaply with a pretty good nut too.

Big Bash Final history
Three current Stars have played in a WBBL final before:
  • Osborne in WBBL|01 for the Thunder, was named Player of the Match in a 3 wicket defeat of the Sydney Sixers.
  • Brunt & Villani in WBBL|02 for the Perth Scorchers, losing a nail-biter to the Sixers.
  • Brunt, Sciver & Villani in WBBL|03 for the Scorchers, copping a thrashing to the Sixers.

Sydney Thunder (3rd, 7-5-2)

Possible XI
Tammy Beaumont 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Rachel Trenaman
Heather Knight 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Rachael Haynes* 🇦🇺
Phoebe Litchfield
Sammy-Jo Johnson
Tahlia Wilson+
Lauren Smith
Hannah Darlington
Shabnim Ismail 🇿🇦
Samantha Bates

Injury concerns
Trenaman appears to be carrying a crook shoulder.

Semi-final form
Beaumont has got three 20+ scores in three games now, finally looking more like herself but she still got out in a very soft fashion. Haynes was crucial with 48*. Overall, you'd expect a better showing from the Thunder with the bat tomorrow night.

With the ball, I've already pumped up Darlington too much for a young player, and what more really needs to be said about her after last night. Bates got a bit of tap but came through with the poles when it mattered most. And I have to also mention Ismail who is great to watch for many reasons, including how she shows the kind of smarts you'd expect of somebody with such experience, thereby allowing her to visibly work out a batsman in the space of an over.

Big Bash Final history
Three Thunder players have appeared in WBBL finals:
  • Haynes top-scored in the Thunder's WBBL|01 victory (Bates was a member of the squad but missed the second-half of the season with a broken wrist).
  • Smith played in heaps with the Sixers (I think all four).
  • Johnson is aiming for a three-peat across two teams, having gone back-to-back with the Heat.

Words of wisdom

Reportedly the same pitch is being used for the final as the semis. I don't know what the curator can do, just hoping it quickens up a bit and we get a 160-a-side game.

This was the match-up I was hoping for heading into this week, liked the way both teams have played throughout. It's too hard to go past a team with two players in Megastar and Bruntforce, who'll still be spoken about as all-timers 100 years from now. But... 6/12, anything is possible.

Grozzy

Debutant
Feb 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I missed the double 5 years ago because it was too short notice but I am going to this final.
The definition of optimism is a long term Thunder Supporter. It doesn't happen much but getting to the final is much more special.
Stars deserve to be favourites but in T20 anything can happen.

Yeah, least it's at night this time around for the sold out crowd--which should be a WBBL standalone record of about 8k unless CA have over-reduced capacity, or North Sydney doesn't hold as many people as several sources claim.

Grozzy

Debutant
Feb 6, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
When you get in early, several weeks ago expecting a decent seat. This is my view. Fortunately I was able to move
PXL_20201128_072125065.MP.jpg

When you get in early, several weeks ago expecting a decent seat. This is my view. Fortunately I was able to moveView attachment 1019854
And the "Watch me" tagline printed on the very structure blocking your view, oh the irony.

Why do they even need it up for a night game (maybe they're gonna take it down, but I'd have moved too, not worth the risk).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Would have given Johnson another over with the ball moving around

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Terrific spell from Ismail

Back