WBBL|06 Semi-final 2: Brisbane Heat vs Sydney Thunder - Thursday, 26 November (7.10pm AEDT)

Who wilt rain supreme?

• Sydney Thunders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reigny Weathers (BOM says 0% chance, but this is 2020 after all)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The teal tonkers come up against the crowd favourites in this second knockout fixture.

Date: Thursday, 26 November 2020
Time: 7.10pm AEDT, 6.10pm AEST
Venue: North Sydney Oval, NSW - Tickets
Broadcast: Live on 7Mate, Fox Cricket and Kayo (check local guides).

Brisbane Heat (2nd, 8-4-2)

Possible XI
Georgia Redmayne+
Grace Harris
Jess Jonassen* 🇦🇺
Georgia Voll
Amelia Kerr 🇳🇿
Laura Kimmince
Charli Knott
Nadine de Klerk 🇿🇦
Delissa Kimmince 🇦🇺
Georgia Prestwidge
Courtney Sippel

Injury concerns
I didn’t hear the reason for Nicola Hancock missing Sunday’s game, if she was just being rested then I’d expect her to come into the team for Knott.

On song
Kerr has the lowest economy rate of the tournament, but she’s also right up there for most wickets in spite of the general league-wide attempt to play her more watchfully. Also coming off a responsible unbeaten knock that basically sealed the Heat’s seventh-straight win.

Off the boil
I kinda feel bad for suggesting Maddy Green ought to be dropped after Saturday’s game, since that is indeed what happened to the mar-Kiwi on Sunday. But not too bad, as they brought in Prestwidge like I hoped and she took 4 wickets.

Last 5 matches (most recent first)
Win v Gades by 43 runs
Win v Stars by 3 wickets (4 balls rem.)
Win v Scorchers by 4 wickets (4 balls rem.)
Win v Sixers by 3 wickets (13 balls rem.)
Win v Canes by 10 wickets (50 balls rem.)

Sydney Thunder (3rd, 7-5-2)

Possible XI
Tammy Beaumont 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Rachel Trenaman
Heather Knight 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Rachael Haynes* 🇦🇺
Phoebe Litchfield
Sammy-Jo Johnson
Tahlia Wilson+
Lauren Smith
Hannah Darlington
Shabnim Ismail 🇿🇦
Samantha Bates

Injury concerns
Bates - TBC

On song
Knight has made the Hurricanes look silly, not that it was ever in doubt. And Darlington has been even more impressive bowling at the death in a year when you’d expect her reputation to catch up and bring about a sophomore slump.

Off the boil
Obviously Beaumont has had a mare, but with two decent starts on the weekend, maybe the tide is turning.

Last 5 matches (most recent first)
Win v Canes by 6 wickets (19 balls rem.)
Win v Strikers by 5 wickets (2 balls rem.)
Loss v Sixers by 4 runs
Win v Gades by 8 wickets (33 balls rem.)
Loss v Scorchers by 34 runs

Words of wisdom
The team in the hottest form late in the regular season typically takes home the trophy. The only exception in the WBBL to date would be its first edition when the Thunder did just enough in the final to scrape by a nine-on-the-trot Sixers.

For the most part, Brisbane bat like cavemen on crack, which was never more evident than that abbreviated run chase flop against Sydney on the tournament’s second weekend. I don’t really think they’ve changed anything since, so it’s just a question of whether they were unlucky then or are they lucky now.

5 overs chasing a ridiculous target.

Meanwhile when playing a proper 20 over match, Thunder were completely outclassed. They made less than the Scorchers tonight who you’re complaining about not being worthy of finals!
The only ridiculous thing about that run chase was the way Brisbane went about it. RRR of 9 and they were swinging for the fences like it was 20!

When Redmayne gets out early, it's an absolute lottery with this mob.

The only ridiculous thing about that run chase was the way Brisbane went about it. RRR of 9 and they were swinging for the fences like it was 20!

When Redmayne gets out early, it's an absolute lottery with this mob.

Chasing in a 5 over game you have all the favours too.

Well we got a ball game, that's as much as I'm willing to claim.

JJ prrrrobably shoulda bowled that last over. But at least she gave de Klerk the 19th, not sure why that was a surprise to the comm box.

Does Lauren Smith's bowling action resemble Travis Head's (but she actually turns it a bit) or am I crazy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a woeful shot from Kimmince, but how unlucky is she to drag that on?!

Kimmince out to the reverse sweep, that could be costly.

Dragging it on from nearly a metre outside off has cost them the game.

This is a choke for the ages. This is mens Melbourne Stars level choking.

Back