WBBL|06

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect Brisbane will move Grace Harris to the top of the order with Mooney gone. Has absolutely slaughtered the bowlers in the Qld Premier Cricket T20's the last few weeks. 472 runs at 118 at a SR of 165, including a 69 ball 162.

I suspect Brisbane will move Grace Harris to the top of the order with Mooney gone. Has absolutely slaughtered the bowlers in the Qld Premier Cricket T20's the last few weeks. 472 runs at 118 at a SR of 165, including a 69 ball 162.

Seems like the plan especially with Sammy Jo Johnson gone too (Thunder)

Plenty of extensive previews are being churned out by the likes of cricket.com.au and 7Cricket, but there’s a fair bit of fence-sitting to sift through.

I can answer the 7Cricket part of this equation at least given I'm the one doing it - purposefully done to give a general overview feel and hopefully appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Then as the season goes the plan is to get more into specific stuff once there's more data to work with and fans are in the flow of things. Fingers crossed anyway.

I'd be surprised if Redmayne isn't given the first shot at replacing the similarly-styled Mooney at the top of the order, with the Heat seeing if they can replicate a winning formula. Grace seems more likely to be fighting with Green for the other opener spot, especially considering some non-committal interviews I've read on the topic with her and Noffke. And SJJ vacating the middle-order is more a case to resist promoting GHarris, I would've thought.

Not sure how much anyone else has seen of Darcie Brown, but I think she's on course for a huuuge season.

She's a real livewire, ball, bat and field
Personally heard more than seen (which is about 2 seconds) at this point. With it confirmed that Stafanie Taylor will miss the first game and possibly the second (against the Hurricanes and Sixers, so the results of those matches have a decent chance of remaining unaffected), it should just about guarantee Brown or Falconer start the season in the Strikers XI imo. Assuming those days aren't washed out, of course.

I can answer the 7Cricket part of this equation at least given I'm the one doing it - purposefully done to give a general overview feel and hopefully appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Then as the season goes the plan is to get more into specific stuff once there's more data to work with and fans are in the flow of things. Fingers crossed anyway.
Ahh well then I probably have an unreasonable amount of follow-up questions that I'm tempted to ask. But yeah I was thinking about it after my previous post: there must be something of a precarious tightrope that broadcasters/commentators walk when it comes to covering women's sport, where I'm guessing the audience's familiarity with players/teams is much more varied at this point. It would be my preference if everything was catered to the hardcore fan (me), but obviously there's also a bigger picture to consider.

I'm predicting the Sixers will beat the Scorchers in the final.

Ánd I'm hoping Ashleigh Gardner has a break out season. An amazing talent whose temperament and technique has probably slowed her progress after a amazing opening to WBBL/03, but her form in the recent Internationals suggests that may be she has improved both and she could be the weapon the Sixers need to get back to the top.

With it confirmed that Stafanie Taylor will miss the first game and possibly the second (against the Hurricanes and Sixers, so the results of those matches have a decent chance of remaining unaffected), it should just about guarantee Brown or Falconer start the season in the Strikers XI imo.
Fwiw it certainly won't be Falconer coming into the team. Only until shortly after this post did I learn that she has stayed behind in Adelaide due to a foot injury. Not a great start to the Strikers' campaign with Bates also set to miss the first few games, NZ's Katie Perkins comes in as a replacement while WNCL captain Shoota takes the T20 leadership reins for the time being.

Also interesting to note the Stars have added Rosemary Mair to their official squad for the weekend, looks like Katherine Brunt will be carefully managed as per ECB wishes. Same reason she missed last season entirely. Same reason the shoulder-troubled Ecclestone missed last season too (and I feel it's safe to assume that's why she's not here again, with just a few exhibition games in India rather than a dozen or so full-on WBBL matches deemed more appropriate for her fitness at this point in time).

Schutt takes two wickets with the first two (legal) deliveries of the match at Hurstville. Priest and Matthews apparently unaware she bowls inswingers.

On an actual surprising note, the Heat didn't pick de Klerk and Mooney is reportedly going to keep for the Scorchers instead of Jones.

This should be an interesting litmus test for the Scorchers bowling. Would've been 150+ if not for the Mooney run out, but nobody else made it look like an easy pitch to score quickly on. Nicole Bolton, tell ya story walking pal, no sympathy for bad lbw calls when the batsman is goofing around instead of hitting them ten rows back over mid-wicket.

Looks like Redmayne is a worthy replacement for Moons so far. Watched her make 146 for Gold Coast live a couple weeks ago which was an absolute treat.

The Scorchers have been a little disappointing today, they never accelerated with the bat after a positive start, and their bowling line up looks a little out of their depth after Devine, Glenn and perhaps Graham.

It's only the first game, but Redmayne looks like a brilliant replacement for Mooney.

The Scorchers have been a little disappointing today, they never accelerated with the bat after a positive start, and their bowling line up looks a little out of their depth after Devine, Glenn and perhaps Graham.

It's only the first game, but Redmayne looks like a brilliant replacement for Mooney.

Scorchers were overrated all pre season. They aren’t winning. Without Lanning their batting is paper thin and their bowling well jeez

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolvaardt middled them from the get, asserting herself early as a recruit of the season contender. But as is the case for South Africa, the joke is on the Strikers if they don't use her as an opener. Grace Harris at the top of the order would also be straightforward if she could guarantee that same level of composure as she showed today.

Scorchers are the same prospect as last year, only with a slightly higher degree of dubious captaincy. Jemma Barsby didn't bowl an over today, that's hard to understand.

Geez the Canes were awful. You've picked that one Teen Wolf.
Well if you make enough predictions...

But I guess, if there's one positive, even I don't think they're gonna continue to get 1 run from 3 of their top 4 in future matches.

This is why you don’t play a tournament in Sydney....

It's only those soft Sydney teams, the Melbourne girls have no problems playing in this hellhole

But it seems CA made the mistake deciding the Sydney derby is the only one worth broadcasting, FTA gets no play and the other ground the game is going alone fine. Too Sydney centric as usual

It's only those soft Sydney teams, the Melbourne girls have no problems playing in this hellhole

But it seems CA made the mistake deciding the Sydney derby is the only one worth broadcasting, FTA gets no play and the other ground the game is going alone fine. Too Sydney centric as usual

Melbourne match has been washed out too.

Shame but this was always happening today

Melbourne match has been washed out too.

Shame but this was always happening today
Was meant to be played at 10:30am at NSO but for some reason it got moved to later at Hurstville.. if it was a payed in the actual scheduled slot then it Very disappointing especially since it was meant to be played in the morning and got moved.. if played in the morning the game would have gone ahead it never would have been washed out...

Was meant to be played at 10:30am at NSO but for some reason it got moved to later at Hurstville.. if it was a payed in the actual scheduled slot then it Very disappointing especially since it was meant to be played in the morning and got moved.. if played in the morning the game would have gone ahead it never would have been washed out...

Maybe but 3 games at NSO was always dumb scheduling. They moved one from NSO and it was always going to be unlucky whichever one they moved. There was weather around everywhere today. Renegades should be thankful they were never chasing what would have been 170+

There were never 3 games scheduled at North Sydney today. The Gades-Stars simply got straight-up swapped with the Scorchers-Heat. CA can plan a pretty picnic but they can't predict the weather (and even so, two matches were still gonna get washed out).

Then again, yes, they could've not held the tournament in Sydney. I have to say though, the village set-up in SOP was built for this sort of event and looks pretty cool from what I've seen. Perth would've been able to deliver all 59 matches in full on vastly superior pitches, but so many more factors have to be considered that I find it hard to begrudge the ultimate decision.

I do hope that if a non-Sydney team like the Strikers end up "hosting" the final, they actually get to play it in Adelaide in front of a home crowd. Not sure there's a good reason to stop that from happening.

Strikers nearly bailed out by the weather, but not even rain could wash away the insane decision to have Penna come in at 3. Coaches outsmarting themselves with the batting order, my pet hate. It a) invariably costs the team the game, and b) is totally unfair on the elevated player. They were 4/14 before Patterson could face her second ball and go on to ignite the innings, setting a respectable total in familiar fashion.

I should also add a couple of really sharp catches from the Sixers was also pivotal in setting up the match. Anybody who's spent back-to-back days hanging out in the sheds, waiting for the covers to come off, would appreciate the difficulty of being switched on in the field from the moment you finally get out on the park.

Has the waterlogged portion of the program concluded? Forecast for the weekend is still not great, though I'd be surprised if scattered showers prevent any of the 8 scheduled matches from getting a result.

Strikers nearly bailed out by the weather, but not even rain could wash away the insane decision to have Penna come in at 3. Coaches outsmarting themselves with the batting order, my pet hate. It a) invariably costs the team the game, and b) is totally unfair on the elevated player. They were 4/14 before Patterson could face her second ball and go on to ignite the innings, setting a respectable total in familiar fashion.

I should also add a couple of really sharp catches from the Sixers was also pivotal in setting up the match. Anybody who's spent back-to-back days hanging out in the sheds, waiting for the covers to come off, would appreciate the difficulty of being switched on in the field from the moment you finally get out on the park.

Has the waterlogged portion of the program concluded? Forecast for the weekend is still not great, though I'd be surprised if scattered showers prevent any of the 8 scheduled matches from getting a result.

After Thursday it should be fine. Tomorrow and Wednesday aren’t pretty though.

We are only at the opening weekend and we’ve already had the most washouts for a season ever recorded.

There has been 5 washouts this season and before this season there was only 5 washouts all together in WBBL01-05

Remove this Banner Ad

Back