WBBL|06

Remove this Banner Ad

We are only at the opening weekend and we’ve already had the most washouts for a season ever recorded.

There has been 5 washouts this season and before this season there was only 5 washouts all together in WBBL01-05

Will be fine after Thursday anyway it’s just unlucky that’s all

carefully managed as per ECB wishes. Same reason she missed last season entirely. Same reason the shoulder-troubled Ecclestone missed last season too (and I feel it's safe to assume that's why she's not here again, with just a few exhibition games in India rather than a dozen or so full-on WBBL matches deemed more appropriate for her fitness at this point in time).
Alas no, in her own words, it was her own decision to pass on the WBBL due to "bubble fatigue". Such a bad look to complain about 14-day quarantines imo, as if it actually equates to true hardship. Even more so in women's cricket, considering the knives came out in advance from players to warn CA and the ECB against cutting back on investing when things get difficult.

Plus, it's also just a downright dumb decision by Ecclestone, given that she's going to do six days iso for 2-3 matches in Dubai that won't help develop her game (or the game in general) one iota. Oh well, her loss, Sarah Glenn's gain.

To be clear, I suspect Danni Wyatt's absence is an entirely different situation, because a) she had to leave the international series early for personal reasons (perhaps the same reasons that prevented her from being able to fully commit to 8 weeks away from home); b) she's been coming here and supporting domestic cricket for the better part of ten years, even when there was no money in it; and c) she doesn't act like a flog on the field.

Alas no, in her own words, it was her own decision to pass on the WBBL due to "bubble fatigue". Such a bad look to complain about 14-day quarantines imo, as if it actually equates to true hardship. Even more so in women's cricket, considering the knives came out in advance from players to warn CA and the ECB against cutting back on investing when things get difficult.

Plus, it's also just a downright dumb decision by Ecclestone, given that she's going to do six days iso for 2-3 matches in Dubai that won't help develop her game (or the game in general) one iota. Oh well, her loss, Sarah Glenn's gain.

To be clear, I suspect Danni Wyatt's absence is an entirely different situation, because a) she had to leave the international series early for personal reasons (perhaps the same reasons that prevented her from being able to fully commit to 8 weeks away from home); b) she's been coming here and supporting domestic cricket for the better part of ten years, even when there was no money in it; and c) she doesn't act like a flog on the field.

Very harsh on Sophie. Every individual situation is different who knows she may have just wanted to spend some time with family and what’s wrong with that?

Very harsh on Sophie. Every individual situation is different who knows she may have just wanted to spend some time with family and what’s wrong with that?
I'm just going by her own words where she clearly indicates that an extra eight days of quarantine was the sticking point. Pissweak.

I'm just going by her own words where she clearly indicates that an extra eight days of quarantine was the sticking point. Pissweak.

And again you are being way too harsh. Unlike us they seldom get to spend time with their family, the women do more but Joffra Archer is the same and he's not doing the BBL. I feel we have to be realistic during this period where not everyone is the same. Some players will cop the quarantines and be happy enough. Others may pick and choose which ones. Both are fine. We have to be a bit understanding this is a weird time.

And again you are being way too harsh. Unlike us they seldom get to spend time with their family, the women do more but Joffra Archer is the same and he's not doing the BBL. I feel we have to be realistic during this period where not everyone is the same. Some players will cop the quarantines and be happy enough. Others may pick and choose which ones. Both are fine. We have to be a bit understanding this is a weird time.
Plenty of us are separated from our families and deprived of work right now, so spare us the sob story about athletes being in a unique situation from we lowly common folk. As I already explained, players dealing with problems back home or mental health issues is a different story to a pampered little princess worried about being bored in her hotel room for a week.

And the difference with Jofra Archer is that a big chunk of his wage is directly funneled to the likes of Sophie Ecclestone, based on the understanding that women's cricketers will actually make their best efforts to grow the game when presented opportunities.

It's a pity you couldn't demonstrate this same cautious level of sensitivity for Phillip Hughes. Sorry buddy, I'll get my lectures on human decency from somewhere else.

Plenty of us are separated from our families and deprived of work right now, so spare us the sob story about athletes being in a unique situation from we lowly common folk. As I already explained, players dealing with problems back home or mental health issues is a different story to a pampered little princess worried about being bored in her hotel room for a week.

And the difference with Jofra Archer is that a big chunk of his wage is directly funneled to the likes of Sophie Ecclestone, based on the understanding that women's cricketers will actually make their best efforts to grow the game when presented opportunities.

We don’t know how these athletes are coping. It’s not exactly an easy situation. If a player needs a break that is fine. It is similar to Barty skipping every tournament this year. I’ll give Barty the benefit of the doubt, similarly I’m more than comfortable with Sophie choosing which tournaments to play if that means the one with the shorter quarantines then that’s her call.

Of course it had to be the $corchers who were looking to sign her

Seriously, where have they found this cash? Was Lanning tied up on a massive salary or something?

A potential way for a one-team state to free up WBBL cap space would be to have your local players all on below-average contracts, and compensate them with inflated WNCL contracts where necessary. The flow-on effect of this would obviously limit your ability to recruit strongly for the 50-over comp, and ultimately also squeeze out some of your higher-profile locals.

Does that apply to Perth/WA? Fair to say the Western Fury's squad is very weak. And I think it's pretty likely Heather Graham will be leaving the Scorchers once her current contract is up (think this is her last year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd estimate the bowler most similar to D-Bag (apparently that's what Darcie Brown's teammates call her...) is Stella Campbell, who maxed out at about 118km/h for the Sixers last season.

That is a little bit above average, for those new to the women's game (if trying to gauge it from a bloke's cricket perspective, the "80 percent rule" works pretty well, so 118km/h woman = 147km/h man).

But the Strikers will be televised on Saturday, if all goes to plan, so we should get to see some of her speedgun numbers then.

The weather in Sydney has cleared up a bit, so there's a good chance of getting some results.

Yeah beat me to it there Grozzy. Was in the middle of typing: Looks like a good chance of a result and even the full 40 overs for the first and last game today. Middle two matches should be touch-and-go but the forecast has improved since yesterday's bleak outlook.

Strikers with the first delivery of the weekend in t minus 30.

Darcie Brown's average speed across her first two overs today was 118.5km/h, with her last ball coming up at 125.7km/h, so pretty rarefied air even if it's not her typical pace. Certainly extracting some extra bounce too, which you'd expect. Though I must correct a rather dopey blunder by Julia Price in commentary, it was of course Maitlan Brown who sent one past Meg Lanning's visor last weekend.

Early signs suggesting a pretty nice batting deck at Giants land, for a change.

It's a miracle the Strikers didn't leak 200+ after the way they bowled to Knight. Particularly poor stuff from McGrath. And I think Shoota missed a trick by not giving Penna at least one over, she often seems to be a tricky prospect to adjust to for the first time.

Thunder might've actually ended up with a subpar score, considering the slow start, if they didn't keep getting legside freebies. 170-180 would've been a very interesting target on this surprising deck, not sure Adelaide have the composure to break a record without Bates. But we're only scratching the surface on Wolvaardt, so who knows (that music video they showed... wowee, something else).

My other pet peeve is teams repeating previous mistakes. Patterson and Taylor both coming to the crease well after the match was down the toilet, not that it would have mattered today. Batting didn't look as easy in the 2nd innings, but 160 still seems like a minimum winning score.

Pitch at Drummoyne much truer to form, green like a fairway and slow as quicksand. Gades crawling to 105, and only getting that much because of a trademark Wareham cameo plus 4 dropped catches (Scorchers haven't changed on that front).

Slats doing the Heat-Canes game, oh goodie.

People from Sydney really say their weather is better than Melbourne’s 🤣

Look at the Shield and I don’t think weather has intervened once and in the WBBL there has been 7 no results in 11 games

Really frustrating especially seeing it looks tonight’s match is also going to washed out and yet another Stars match is going to be abandoned.. a year full of promise but it doesn’t help when your first three matches are all abandoned! Will make it incredibly hard to qualify for finals now...

Match called off....

I'll be so annoyed if tomorrows match vs the Caines is also called off. That would be four matches in and no result in each match....

Seems to me these washouts don't appear to have hurt the Stars' chances of making finals at all. They are equal-fourth on the ladder right now. The equation remains the same as it has always been: win more than lose and you'll qualify.

I'm just going to expect 4 NRs today and allow myself to possibly be surprised. If today also goes to s**t, CA should do their best to add four games to the schedule across Tuesday and Wednesday. Good weather is forecast then, and who knows if we're going to lose more days later on in the tournament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back