WBBL|07

Remove this Banner Ad

Updated fixture is online

Sad for me, the moe match is canned even-though regional vic is out of lockdown!

Yeah heard that, seems like the issue is getting players in and out with border closures and what not.

Yeah, it is all a bit messy up at the moment. I assume they are in the process of uploading fixtures.

Will be interesting to see what they do after the two weeks. Do they head to NSW or Victoria who will be relatively out of lockdown by then, or do they split it. WA won't be playing home games this year at least and SA would be highly unlikely.

Will be interesting to see what they do after the two weeks. Do they head to NSW or Victoria who will be relatively out of lockdown by then, or do they split it. WA won't be playing home games this year at least and SA would be highly unlikely.
I think what they have done is good- being open to the possibilities of retaining some portions of the season fixtured already.

Atm, the following 'hubs/carnivals' remain:
Lilac Hill Perth (30/31 Oct)
Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast (30/31 Oct)
KRO, Adelaide (5/6 Nov)
Junction Oval, Melbourne (6/7 Nov)
Nuriootpa, SA (7 Nov)
Blacktown ISP, Sydney (9/10 Nov)
Eastern Oval, Ballarat (13/14 Nov)
Blundstone Arena, Hobart (13/14 Nov)
GBR Arena, Mackay (19/20 Nov)
KRO, Adelaide (20/21 Nov)

I can speak from a Victorian perspective. We are going to start to open up after 70% double vax target. There is talk that the Spring Racing Carnival in late Oct/early Nov will be the first events to test the mandatory vax crowds etc. This could be around the same time we meet those targets. Dan will have more to say on our roadmap on Wednesday so will have more clarity then. This could mean there is a possibility that the Victorian games in Nov could go ahead but I don't think they will. I think it is more likely of the possibility of finals if Stars/Renegades qualify to host will be played in Victoria.

I think what they have done is good- being open to the possibilities of retaining some portions of the season fixtured already.

Atm, the following 'hubs/carnivals' remain:
Lilac Hill Perth (30/31 Oct)
Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast (30/31 Oct)
KRO, Adelaide (5/6 Nov)
Junction Oval, Melbourne (6/7 Nov)
Nuriootpa, SA (7 Nov)
Blacktown ISP, Sydney (9/10 Nov)
Eastern Oval, Ballarat (13/14 Nov)
Blundstone Arena, Hobart (13/14 Nov)
GBR Arena, Mackay (19/20 Nov)
KRO, Adelaide (20/21 Nov)

I can speak from a Victorian perspective. We are going to start to open up after 70% double vax target. There is talk that the Spring Racing Carnival in late Oct/early Nov will be the first events to test the mandatory vax crowds etc. This could be around the same time we meet those targets. Dan will have more to say on our roadmap on Wednesday so will have more clarity then. This could mean there is a possibility that the Victorian games in Nov could go ahead but I don't think they will. I think it is more likely of the possibility of finals if Stars/Renegades qualify to host will be played in Victoria.

I would be shocked if the WA or SA legs remain I just can't see those states relaxing the rules too much WA especially. Can see NSW coming out of lockdown by the 18th (might be the 11th with the vaccination rate). Think the crowd will be like the US Open tennis where it will be only vaccinated patrons at least for this season. They will want 80-85 across the whole of Australia before it's free entry for everyone. That is still a good 6 months away.

Well the gap has narrowed considerably in a short period of time, but it's still pretty significant.

In the first WBBL season, a six would be hit about every 120 balls. The next season it was down to 80. It has levelled off at around a six per 50 balls for the last few seasons, though some extenuating circumstances of recent times (for instance, about 20 matches at Blacktown and Drummoyne last year, the two worst scoring grounds used by the league) means it could still be on the move.

Compare that to the men's side of things, sixes in the BBL have reliably been hit once every 20 balls over the same timeframe.

Aside from the usual channels like Cricinfo etc, the easiest/most productive source for bits and pieces like this are probably hypocaust (covers a lot of women's cricket) and sirswampthing (during the Aus summer) on Twitter... or just from me or somebody else on here posting stuff of interest when discovered.
Cool resources thanks!
Part of the reason i ask was i read a book that i mentioned in the other thread that went in-depth into tactical aspects of the IPL and other men's t20 - it spoke of stuff I'd never thought much about previously like: powerplay bowling tactics, matchups, analysis of batters' weaknesses to try and set them up, using data to figure out a batter's tendencies (for example after a 4 or a few dot balls), how and when to change the pace of an innings, how and when to change batting orders, and a lot more. Was a really fun and great read.

Like I said on the previous page:
The fact that the Australian players weren't allowed "chose not" to play in the Hundred probably suggests there won't be English equivalents coming back the other way this season, even if the Pakistan tour was called off.
That's just the way the back-and-forth goes with CA and the ECB.

Maybe this time is different, regardless none of the 8 clubs would be banking on it instead of signing up the best available* players in the meantime.

*as in definitely available

Like I said on the previous page:

That's just the way the back-and-forth goes with CA and the ECB.

Maybe this time is different, regardless none of the 8 clubs would be banking on it instead of signing up the best available* players in the meantime.

*as in definitely available
The way I would put it. In England COVID cases were skyrocketing whilst here in Australia they are playing matches in locations that there haven’t been any COVID cases so it decreases the risk.

I desperately want Sciver and Brunt back at the stars. They make a huge difference. It doesn’t matter who you replace them with, no one will match that deadly duo! Having them in the side lifts our chances rapidly of winning the flag. It’s been such a disappointing off season losing our coach Trent Woodhill poached by CA, Holly Ferling, Alana King, Mignon Du Preez. We’ve lost Mignon who was our second leading run scorer last season plus Alana King who was our second leading wicket taker. Sciver also was our leading wicket taker. It’s not like we have been recruiting guns either to replace. We still have 5 spots left so hopefully we see some quality marquees signed. This includes 2 internationals unsigned and 3 aus contract spots up our sleeve

Last edited:
The way I would put it. In England COVID cases were skyrocketing whilst here in Australia they are playing matches in locations that there haven’t been any COVID cases so it decreases the risk.
That's not the reason, otherwise CA would have just come out and said it like they did with the cancelled South Africa tours.

The truth: ECB schedule a women's tour to Pakistan that would clash with the WBBL... CA respond by withdrawing players from the Hundred. Simple, and not unprecedented either.

I desperately want Sciver and Brunt back at the stars. They make a huge difference. It doesn’t matter who you replace them with, no one will match that deadly duo!
Evidently not, considering Heather Knight and Tammy Beaumont's team smashed them in the final last year. Or maybe that was only because the coach made tactical blunders, in which case there's no need to shed a tear over his departure.

The point is nobody's irreplaceable and all teams are in the same boat. Past winners have managed without their first choice overseas players, the Sixers did it against a team that had Sciver and Brunt.

Plenty of good players available. If the Stars can't find any, it's on them. The fact they got Garth should actually be reassuring to any knowledgeable follower who would agree she's far from a wasted marquee signing.

I was hoping a few of the Indian and West Indies girls would be playing but it seems like with only 3 weeks to go until the start of the comp. it may be too late to get them signed and because of COVID they will not play. Stefanie Taylor was one I always liked watching, great cricketer.

I was hoping a few of the Indian and West Indies girls would be playing but it seems like with only 3 weeks to go until the start of the comp. it may be too late to get them signed and because of COVID they will not play. Stefanie Taylor was one I always liked watching, great cricketer.
Signings were done months ago, announcements will be made in due course.

But even if Taylor has a contract, it's unlikely she and any other WI player will be available, considering the clash with the World Cup qualifier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow much outside of Aus. How has she gone against quality opponents?

Only made her England debut this month. Was fantastic in The Hundred (England’s version in WBBL).

hopefully she fires! I'm very nervous about this season for the Stars given the depth that we have lost.

No different to every other side. Same with Thunder at this stage we’ve lost Knight at least and she was half our batting side

No different to every other side. Same with Thunder at this stage we’ve lost Knight at least and she was half our batting side
She is one player. We have lost all our internationals as well as Alana King and Holly Ferling as well as our coach.

King and Du Preez are extremely underrated!

There won't be any English internationals in the WBBL. Just spoke to a parent of a player and he said that she told him that contracts with players have already been signed so there isn't room for the English Internationals i.e. Sciver, Brunt. Hopefully they return next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back