WBBL|07

Remove this Banner Ad

So she will be coming despite the timing of the World Cup Qualifier. How long is she staying? I guess I can't really speculate without knowing the requirements for people travelling to Zimbabwe.

10,000 at the Melbourne Cup and CA still say there cannot be any WBBL matches in Melbourne?
It's because the chances of one of the players catching COVID and shutting the comp down are higher and once they play in Melbourne basically every other state will make them quarantine if they come from Melbourne.

It's because the chances of one of the players catching COVID and shutting the comp down are higher and once they play in Melbourne basically every other state will make them quarantine if they come from Melbourne.
Even once borders open? They’d be fully vaccinated. We have had 2 seasons in a row with no home games. Last season we earnt a home final but had to play at the away teams home ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a bit riding on whether the Indian players stay for the whole time, no guarantees there. Same goes for the Scorchers if Atapattu has to skedaddle early, leaves them just one spinner in King.

So the safest bet is the Strikers at this stage, even though they haven't confirmed who'll captain yet.

Is there no WBBL fantasy this year?
Doesn't look like it :'(. Which is a shame as I really enjoyed the Dream 11 one last year.

You can play daily fantasy on the WBBL on Draftstars but it's obviously not the same thing.

Reluctantly, knowing more changes are possible, I finally took a closer look at the new full fixture. Here's what each team is facing in terms of travel, arranged from hardest to easiest (by far).

Sixers: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide > Mackay > Adelaide
Gades: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide > Mackay
Strikers: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide > Mackay > Adelaide
Thunder: Hobart > Launceston > Adelaide > Mackay
Heat: Hobart > Launceston > Adelaide > Mackay
Canes: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Mackay
Scorchers: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide
Stars: Hobart > Launceston > Adelaide

So the scummiest club with the whiniest supporters get the free ride yet again.

Reluctantly, knowing more changes are possible, I finally took a closer look at the new full fixture. Here's what each team is facing in terms of travel, arranged from hardest to easiest (by far).

Sixers: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide > Mackay > Adelaide
Gades: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide > Mackay
Strikers: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide > Mackay > Adelaide
Thunder: Hobart > Launceston > Adelaide > Mackay
Heat: Hobart > Launceston > Adelaide > Mackay
Canes: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Mackay
Scorchers: Hobart > Launceston > Perth > Adelaide
Stars: Hobart > Launceston > Adelaide

So the scummiest club with the whiniest supporters get the free ride yet again.
Give us a break mate. We have not played at home for two seasons now and were meant to play a home final instead was played at the venue of the opposition- the team who finished 3rd.

On another note, it has been a tough off season for us losing four of our first XI players as well as our senior coach to CA now everyone is against us even sportsbet has us finishing bottom. I hope we rub it into them and finish top!

GIVE US A BREAK!!

Give us a break mate. We have not played at home for two seasons now and were meant to play a home final instead was played at the venue of the opposition- the team who finished 3rd.
Hmm well I seem to recall the top-placed Sixers winning the WBBL|02 final at the WACA against Perth...

Maybe the Stars just weren't quite good enough last year. Probably flattered by a few No Results which actually robbed the Thunder of their rightful minor premiership. But in the end, justice was served.

On another note, it has been a tough off season for us losing four of our first XI players as well as our senior coach to CA now everyone is against us even sportsbet has us finishing bottom.
And we all shed a tear the first ten times you mentioned that. They lost five best XI players and two head coaches in the previous off-season, didn't seem to hurt too much.

Maybe just appreciate what you've got. To reiterate/elaborate on something I already said: Lanning will win more games off her bat than the Hurricanes as a whole.

Meanwhile the Renegades have made the same improbable gamble on pace bowling as last year, the Heat haven't sufficiently replaced Kerr and Kimmince, and who knows if/when Haynes will make it back for the Thunder. No good reason to think the Stars would finish lower than 4th or 5th.

Hmm well I seem to recall the top-placed Sixers winning the WBBL|02 final at the WACA against Perth...

Maybe the Stars just weren't quite good enough last year. Probably flattered by a few No Results which actually robbed the Thunder of their rightful minor premiership. But in the end, justice was served.

And we all shed a tear the first ten times you mentioned that. They lost five best XI players and two head coaches in the previous off-season, didn't seem to hurt too much.

Maybe just appreciate what you've got. To reiterate/elaborate on something I already said: Lanning will win more games off her bat than the Hurricanes as a whole.

Meanwhile the Renegades have made the same improbable gamble on pace bowling as last year, the Heat haven't sufficiently replaced Kerr and Kimmince, and who knows if/when Haynes will make it back for the Thunder. No good reason to think the Stars would finish lower than 4th or 5th.
The Hurricanes will join us in the Final. They have recruited quite strongly with Strano, Du Preez and Gosh.

I am confident about our team but we cannot just ignore the amount of talent that have walked out the door

2019 to 2020- Coach David Hemp did leave but he had his chances and couldn't get us to the finals. In terms of players, we did lose players but the influx of talent into the team was phenomenal. Hancock, Reakes, Rafferty weren't star players although we were disappointed to lose Penna and Beams. Penna I would've liked to keep but Beams retired and was getting towards the end of her career. Katey Martin never seemed to fire at the stars and Lizelle Lee is a one hit wonder hitting a few boundaries then getting caught trying to slog one too many times. Meg Lanning returned home to green, but Elyse Villani started to fire after a season of disappointing results. We also welcomed in Brunt and Sciver who were quality internationals. Internationals make or break a team. The better the internationals, the deeper the team goes into the finals. That proved itself last season with Mignon Du Preez also playing very solidly for the Stars along with the duo from England. So yes, we did lose players but we were able to more than cover them.

2020 to 2021- Trent Woodhill is a cricketing mastermind and it is going to be very hard to replace him. Alana King is underrated and singlehandingly won us the semi final vs the Scorchers last season. She has always been solid for the Stars and we will miss her dearly. I love Holly Ferling but she didn't really perform as strongly as we would've liked but she can still do some good things. Mignon Du Preez is a big loss as I have stated previously as is the English duo of Brunt/Sciver who held up our bowling lineup last season. Maddy Darke is quite young so wouldn't expect too many big things from her. I don't know too much about Kim Garth but she isn't a BIG NAME like Sciver or Brunt albeit she can perform. Don't know too much about Bouchier or Smith either but hoping they can fill the big shoes that have been left behind from our internationals last season. I was hoping for a big domestic signing but that didn't appear to happen although pleased that Sophie Day has recommitted. Gall, McKenna and Anna Lanning aren't guns either although Anna Lanning might play her role which would be helpful.

We really need to capitalise on Villani/Lanning combo this season because I am not too sure if Villani will sign on when her contract is up. I think it is almost a given she will join her partner Nicola Carey at the Hurricanes.

Last edited:
Sportsbet has the Stars favourite to win the wooden spoon. I think we we actually win the title beating the Hurricanes in the Grand Final

Can't believe the odds. There are stuff all between all the sides this year. All have lost quality. You can quote me but the Sixers won't do as well this season. We'll have a new champion.

Can't believe the odds. There are stuff all between all the sides this year. All have lost quality. You can quote me but the Sixers won't do as well this season. We'll have a new champion.
When I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes.

Scorchers, Sixers- $4.50
Thunder- $5.00
Heat- $7.50
Renegades- $8.50
Strikers, Hurricanes- $11.00
Stars- $13.00

When I saw it I couldn't believe my eyes.

Scorchers, Sixers- $4.50
Thunder- $5.00
Heat- $7.50
Renegades- $8.50
Strikers, Hurricanes- $11.00
Stars- $13.00

Well I'll have a dabble on the Strikers for sure, Sixers are poison odds. Both openers in awful form, Verma hasn't been fantastic either in the internationals and can't play spin. Strikers have a very good side and have the most in form bat in the country right now. Stars shouldn't be spoon favourites, they have bought well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back