WBBL|07

Remove this Banner Ad

Give us some credit. We are young and the ball is wet..

Healy is just too good tonight.

To a degree, total was never enough Meg and Sutherland crabbing like it was a test match really went swell

Very poor batting, you shouldn’t be 1 down setting a target you haven’t gone hard enough

To a degree, total was never enough Meg and Sutherland crabbing like it was a test match really went swell

Very poor batting, you shouldn’t be 1 down setting a target you haven’t gone hard enough
With the batting, we are low on depth after losing Sciver, Du Preez, and to some extent King and Brunt. This means we are relying on our top 3 and if we lose them early we are stuffed.

The Sixers bowled as many wides and no balls as the Stars.

Both bowled poor but when you are defending a poor total let’s be real it was 30 short you can’t give up a stack in extras. That’s the game there.

Lost it with the bat though

With the batting, we are low on depth after losing Sciver, Du Preez, and to some extent King and Brunt. This means we are relying on our top 3 and if we lose them early we are stuffed.

If anything that makes it even more stupid that Sutherland opened. Let a youngster go up and bat with an experienced player. Have Sutherland to finish

If anything that makes it even more stupid that Sutherland opened. Let a youngster go up and bat with an experienced player. Have Sutherland to finish
If we lost Lanning and Villani early then we lose our two best players and have Sutherland left without any experienced head to calm the storm.

If we lost Lanning and Villani early then we lose our two best players and have Sutherland left without any experienced head to calm the storm.

Each to their own you are not getting the best out of Sutherland opening. If anything I know she’s in rubbish form but Lanning opens with Villani and go from there.

Each to their own you are not getting the best out of Sutherland opening. If anything I know she’s in rubbish form but Lanning opens with Villani and go from there.
Let's agree to disagree but it is giving Sutherland experience opening up. give her a few more games at it- she will get better. If it isn't working we can revert back to Lanning/Villani

Someone like Katie Mack would be great to have. She is a worker of the ball and grinds it out in the middle similar to Du Preez but sadly we have lost both of them.

Based on our batters,
M. Lanning- 2498 S.R. 122.15
Villani- 2464 S.R. 114.87
Sutherland 466 S.R 99.36
Osborne- 871 S.R. 97.43
Bouchier- 22 in 2 WT20I
A. Lanning- 371 S.R. 87.29
Flintoff- 84 S.R 102.44
Faltum- 95 S.R 102.15

Instead of 'wasting' our two best batters together at the front then being exposed if they both fall early, we will then still have one of them if the two openers fall especially early with the new ball.

From the reports I read, the Melbourne Stars could have signed Dane van Niekerk if they wanted to. And players only tend to go elsewhere because their team isn't prepared to do enough to keep them.

So this 'woe is us' act isn't going to fly when it's really a case of a team making calculated decisions about list priorities, rather than reacting to some set of uncontrollable circumstances foisted on them.

From the reports I read, the Melbourne Stars could have signed Dane van Niekerk if they wanted to. And players only tend to go elsewhere because their team isn't prepared to do enough to keep them.

So this 'woe is us' act isn't going to fly when it's really a case of a team making calculated decisions about list priorities, rather than reacting to some set of uncontrollable circumstances foisted on them.
Okay so it’s our fault now is it that we lost Sciver and Brunt?

King I was shattered left but given her contract ended and she was playing WNCL and living in Perth it was kind of understandable why she left although I really miss her and wish she would’ve stayed. I fear the same thing might happen with Villani and Tassie/Hurricanes when her current contract is up. I hope I’m wrong though

Okay so it’s our fault now is it that we lost Sciver and Brunt?

King I was shattered left but given her contract ended and she was playing WNCL and living in Perth it was kind of understandable why she left although I really miss her and wish she would’ve stayed. I fear the same thing might happen with Villani and Tassie/Hurricanes when her current contract is up. I hope I’m wrong though
It's not the Stars' fault that Sciver and Brunt are unavailable, but they've made the choice to bank on Sutherland and Garth to fill the void rather than to get... Marizanne Kapp, for example. No different to the Renegades: It's unfortunate that Tahuhu is not available, but nobody forced them to sign both Kaur and Rodrigues rather than getting an established T20I pace bowler like Shikha Pandey.

du Preez and King leaving, and the possible inadequate replacement of them (remains to be seen 100%), is a result of the Stars' decisions, no doubt about it. Likewise if Villani leaves.

Both bowled poor but when you are defending a poor total let’s be real it was 30 short you can’t give up a stack in extras. That’s the game there.

Lost it with the bat though
I think nine an over in those conditions was pretty good, but I agree it was under par. I'm not sure twelve an over is a par score though, the Sixers never reached that level even when Healy was in full flight.

I do feel the Stars lost it when Sutherland was asked to open, but I'm not sure what other option they had if Meg was unwilling to open with Villani. Perhaps Sutherland is their best option, but if that's the case I can't see the Stars playing a major role at the end of the season.

In the end the difference was Healy. As good as Villani's innings was, and while the rest of the Sixers top order struggled, Healy dominated the Stars bowlers. Some of her lofted drives were a joy to watch, it's hard to believe she isn't the number one batter in the world when she is in form like that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do feel the Stars lost it when Sutherland was asked to open, but I'm not sure what other option they had if Meg was unwilling to open with Villani. Perhaps Sutherland is their best option, but if that's the case I can't the Stars playing a major role at the end of the season.
In an 11 over game I think Meg just had to open and don't see any logic as to why she wouldn't.

Look at how silly a full-strength Renegades batting order would be:

Molineux*
Jones
Rodrigues
Kaur
Webb
Dooley+
Duffin
Wareham
Leeson/Blows
Ferling/O'Donnell
Hayward/Falconer

Duffin-Wareham-Leeson at 7-8-9, huge potential boundary hitting wastage. Sounds like a luxury to have four pretty pure no.3s, though in reality at least one of them (Dooley) will get pushed down towards the tail most times where a world class quick ought to be. Ferling might be in and out with fitness issues, but even if O'Donnell is capable of carrying on her club cricket form from last season, she'll hardly get a chance with the bat and the team is still going to struggle to find 20 decent overs of bowling.

I'm also curious to see the Thunder line-up. Tahlia Wilson isn't playing the first game, in addition to Haynes out for the foreseeable future, which means something like:

Mandhana
Johnson
Litchfield
Hall
Learoyd/Peterson/Porter
Sharma
Darlington*
Wong
L. Smith
E. Smith+
Bates

They also have an 18yo fast bowler from Tamworth new to the squad, but I'm not sure she comes into calculations with that shaky middle-order, barring injuries to Wong and co.

It’s only game one but I’m not impressed with the Hurricanes batting, Carey and Stalenberg at 5 and 6 will put the brakes on any score they are aiming for.

"Georgia Wareham only took 3 wickets last year... how is that possible?"

"She just didn't have a good year."

Got injured and played 5 and a half games ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back