WBD 2015 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bit of a worry given the midfield used to be the only area of the ground we were competitive.

It is. But for the first time in a long time the hardest part of a list is taking shape. The fwd line just looks like it will be awesome in coming years. Even this year it looks good. We just have to wait and see with the backs and the mids. This year will tell a lot re Talia, Roberts, Jong, Wallis, Stevens, Smith, Hunter, Hrovat, etc

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah the Saints might be in that mix as well, pretty much bottom 3 on exposed form you'd think. Even Carlton with Gibbs, Judd and Murphy have some seasoned class (but no depth)...
I'd even add West Coast to that conversation.

There's such a big difference between being good on paper and being good in reality. Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Thomas sounds good on paper but just never got it together. Conversely I'd say the sum of the Hawthorn midfield is greater than its parts.

Our midfield is potentially great on paper, but is currently poor in reality.

Last edited:

Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agreed. Has all the hallmarks of round 1 a couple of years ago when we played a very inexperienced Brisbane off the park. Must make the most of it.

^^They'd won the NAB cup too if i recall correctly.

Scott Selwood still under a cloud also from WCE. Our number one issue has been JJ Kennedy. Will be a good test for whoever plays on him.

We're still underdogs but I think WCE are ripe for the picking at Etihad in round one. No Emac, No Darling, Naitanui also under a cloud.
As well as Selwood, Wellingham and Ellis. They have had a shocking pre season injury wise.

spider1004

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
11025817_974320802585543_3633769891725271568_n.jpg

What a shocking Photo - looks like he should have a discus in his hand rather than a footy!o_O

spider1004

Debutant
Jul 31, 2009
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We wouldn't have Macrae, possibly not Bonts but we would still have Stringer. Stringer wouldn't have gone before pick 15 (where the cats wanted to get him) so we would still have him.

My guess is that because we have Ward we would have finished couple of spots higher allowing us either Freeman/McCarthy/Lennon

My guess is that if we had kept Ward a couple of dominos wouldn't have fallen. Think this the probable side we would have had, had he not left (fun to speculate on).

2016 side

Wood, Roughead, Morris
Murphy, Lonergan, JJ
Freeman, Ward (c), Griffen
Dahlhaus, Redpath, Dickson
Campbell, Stringer, Hrovat
Minson, Liberatore, Moyd

Calling into consideration as well, does Higgins and Cooney leave if we were contending for finals like this side would have been, probably not. Higgins might have but Cooney certainly wouldn't have.

Int: Cooney, Picken, + take your pick of Wallis/Stevens/Jong/Hunter etc.

Coach: Brendan McCartney

Better off in the short term, but probably doesn't get us to where we want in 2 - 5 years time.

If only .....How's you Auntie? [or is that your Uncle?]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hrovat24

Club Legend
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So I went to training not many down there , skills were poor was a slight breeze out of the few that impressed me I would say Dalhaus was moving well , McLean looks like he will become a very good player he also moves well and used the ball very well , the other that impressed me was Roarke smith looks quick and moves well also obviously hard to tell just from training but he may be a smokey in the future... The negatives probably clay smith and talias kicking both were let down by it , clay was moving good and getting a lot of ball just has a poor kicking action.. Macrae is just a star made a few poor desicions by foot but is a class above the rest, jongs kicking has improved was great to see , Campbell and Roberts are big units both will get a chance this year , little caleb Daniel battles hard tries all day just hope his height isn't an issue :(

I also went along this afternoon, unfortunately I got called away on more pressing real life matters after about 30 minutes, so cant add much in the way of player reports. I did manage to take a couple of snaps in that time tho.

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

Hrovat24

Club Legend
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I also went along this afternoon, unfortunately I got called away on more pressing real life matters after about 30 minutes, so cant add much in the way of player reports. I did manage to take a couple of snaps in that time tho.
Hope everything is alright mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back