WCE 2021 Fixture

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Slight addendum: Buddy has been sidelined with injury for weeks prior, but miraculously gets up for our game.

Post game folding points:

"We can no longer play Gov and Barrass at the same time!"

"Why the f*ck are we still persisting with Ainsworth!?".

"Duggan is our best player and should be moved to the midfield".

"Kennedy is cooked".

"It was all Mitchell, Simmo has nfi"

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I've had a bit more of a think to this and all the way back to 2011 have a theory. Mostly we have played the wings offensively rather than the corridor for our marking and pressure game allowing us to protect as much of the ground as possible.

This falls down on both of these grounds for 2 different reasons.

1. The SCG is significantly shorter and relatively wider than other grounds. It means run and carry and quick kicks over the top and we just get us done time and again and contested ball and tackling is more important than any other ground.
2. At GMHBA it is a very long, narrow ground. Meaning our transition game takes an extra kick as we play the wing allowing for more fu** ups in the chain. The cats play the corridor from defence getting it to the offensive end of the ground as quickly as possible through kicking and protect the long kicks down the line with extras in defence. Takes out our efficient offence and also our marking game defensively as they have more at the fall of the ball / at the contest.

Are we playing sh*t or have as a club for over a ******* decade just not been able to play to the conditions of these grounds and the teams that play them.

The longer the stretch goes the more it looks like poor coaching and their inability to get the team to adjust to the grounds and conditions.

I agree with a lot of your points but I think the answer is probably a lot simpler.

it’s too much to point the finger at any one thing. Our poor record at these two grounds stretches across multiple coaches and multiple game styles.

Reality is Geelong and Sydney have been very good teams for the last 15-20 years and conversely we have had a few dips and fallen off a couple of times.

Good teams are hard to beat at home. Richmond have a poor record against us in WA (total of 4 wins). That’s not game plan, just that we were pretty good and they were outright s**t.

We should be beat Sydney at SCG this year simply because we are a good team and they are rebuilding.

GMHBA is tougher, as feeling will unfortunately be up around the mark again.

A big part of playing at gmhba is its hard to get one on ones in your forward line, due to the narrowness and length of the ground giving oppo extra time to get back and they have less space to cover.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
We legit just can’t afford to have blow out losses where we just don’t show up.

Yep, and we also need to have some larger wins. 20-30 point wins against bottom 3-4 sides is not good enough. Percentage isn't the only thing, but it does become important at the end of the season when teams are so closely matched. We've got to be more ruthless.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The AFL are also bare in mind as their collective skulls are empty.
After a few dry whites last night watching footy re-runs, I woke up this morning with a bear in my mind !!
That's a reasonable fixture, will never be perfect - although I would like to see Richmond's fixture, to see how many games they play at home and where their 'away' games are etc.
But I don't wish to open the lid on the 'Vic bias' box too early, it's a long season after all..!

Last edited:

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
After a few dry whites last night watching footy re-runs, I woke up this morning with a bear in my mind...
That's a reasonable fixture, will never be perfect - although I would like to see Richmond's fixture, to see how many games they play at home and where their 'away' games are etc.
But I don't wish to open the lid on the 'Vic bias' box too early, it's a long season after all..!
Well they start with 3 MCG games in a row. Play a total of 14 games there including 6 of their last nine and leave the state 6 times including 2x trips to Perth OMFG.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Well they start with 3 MCG games in a row. Play a total of 14 games there including 6 of their last nine and leave the state 6 times including 2x trips to Perth OMFG.

Richmond relative to other years got a much tougher draw. 6 times is the most a victorian side will leave victoria and they have port, brisbane and us away. The only bullshit things is as per usual their away match to geelong is at the MCG. But thats always been the case for high drawing games.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
If we have a good season and no major injury gluts we can easily finish 16-6 imo looking at those fixtures.

Of course how the lads go on the track and other factors mean that could change quick smart.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Round 5, Pies at Optus - what a cracker that promises to be!! Both teams be hammer+tongs!
Big test after that to fly to the Cattery the week after and get the job done?
But we "might" have a formidable team in place for 2021?

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Round 5, Pies at Optus - what a cracker that promises to be!! Both teams be hammer+tongs!
Turns out that I have a wedding that night! So disappointed. We'll probably smash them too.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Any time I see "v Geelong @ Kardinia Park" I just pencil in a "L"

May as well send our wafl team over for that one, because it's been a very long time since we've shown any type of resistance down there.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

May as well send our wafl team over for that one, because it's been a very long time since we've shown any type of resistance down there.
Me too. One day we will actually win and it will be a delighful surprise. Until then, I prevent myself from getting to upset with the inevitable pounding we'll receive.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Swans at the SCG I have as a L too, even if Sydney are a bottom 4 side next year. We just dont play well on their postage stamp ground unfortunately.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
We haven't played Melbourne at the MCG since round 2 2014, so swings and roundabouts boiz.

We've legit had 7 of the past 9 games against them in Perth. The other 2 were in Darwin.

Its not a swing and a roundabout

Melbourne are one of too many clubs in one city - we play them away from the mcg because they are one of the unsustainable vic clubs

Every year we dont play them at the g is a valuable mcg expereience game weve lost

Bare in mind i think that's more so the fault of the VFL not giving us MCG games very often.

Back