Competitions WCE Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. Brisbane - Will Ashcroft (F/S bid matched)
2. GWS - Aaron Cadman
3. North Melbourne - George Wardlaw
4. North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel
5. Essendon - Elijah Tsatas
6. Gold Coast - Oliver Hollands
7. Hawthorn - Jhye Clark
8. Geelong - Jedd Busslinger
9. West Coast - Mattaes Phillipou
10. St Kilda - Cam Mackenzie
11. Carlton - Bailey Humphrey
12. Western Bulldogs - Reuben Ginbey
13. West Coast - Elijah Hewett
14. Melbourne - Matt Jefferson
15. Sydney - Isaac Keeler
16. GWS - Olli Hotton
17. Collingwood - Harry Barnett
18. Brisbane - Jaspa Fletcher (F/S bid matched)
19. Sydney - Brayden George
20. GWS - Henry Hustwaite

ROUND 2 :

21. GWS - Lewis Hayes
22. Essendon - Alwyn Davey Jnr (F/S bid matched)
23. West Coast - Darcy Jones
24. Essendon Match Davey bid
24. Western Bulldogs - Josh Weddle
25. Adelaide - Jakob Ryan
26. Hawthorn - Coby Burgiel
27. Collingwood - Lachie Cowan
28. West Coast - Ed Allan
29. Collingwood - Charlie Clarke
30. St Kilda - Jacob Konstanty
31. Carlton - Nick Sadler
32. Fremantle - Mitch Szybkowski
33. North Melbourne (traded from GWS) - Max Gruzewski
34. Adelaide - Max Michalanney (F/S bid matched)
35. St Kilda - Sam Gilbey
36. Port Adelaide - James Van Es
34. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
35. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
37. Melbourne - Jackson Broadbent
38. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid

ROUND 3 :

38. Western Bulldogs - Anthony Munkara
39. GWS (traded from North Melbourne) - Taj Campbell-Farell
40. Hawthorn - Jaxon Binns
41. Sydney - Adam D'Aliola
42. North Melbourne - Kaleb Smith
43. Fremantle - Harry Lemmey
44. Gold Coast - Tom McCallum
44. Adelaide Match Michalanney bid
45. St Kilda - Kobe Ryan
46. Hawthorn - Phoenix Foster
47. Carlton - Harry Rowston
48. Hawthorn - Blake Durry
49. Collingwood - Jaidon Magor
50. Hawthorn - Finn Emile-Brennan
51. Richmond - Corey Tregenza-Cashell
52. Essendon - Tom Scully
55. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
56. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
53. GWS - Jed Hagan
54. Geelong - William Dowling

ROUND 4 :

55. North Melbourne - Pass
56. Port Adelaide - Max Knobel
57. GWS - Pass
58. Essendon - Jack Cleaver
59. Essendon (Points surplus from matched Davey bid) - Ethan Phillips
60. Richmond - Will Verall
61. Geelong
62. Hawthorn - Pass
63. Carlton
64. Fremantle

END DRAFT

Last edited:
Awesome...Thanks dajesmac !!!

NM - Pick 33
Max Gruzewski

I'm eating dinner at the moment. Write up and reasoning to follow soon.

He has a lot of Georgiades qualities to me. I really wanted to land him and very happy I did!
I didn't think he'd last to my next pick. I think he'll be one of the better players from this draft.

Hook461123 - You're up mate

Awesome...Thanks dajesmac !!!

NM - Pick 33
Max Gruzewski

I'm eating dinner at the moment. Write up and reasoning to follow soon.

He has a lot of Georgiades qualities to me. I really wanted to land him and very happy I did!
I didn't think he'd last to my next pick. I think he'll be one of the better players from this draft.

Hook461123 - You're up mate
Is he the kid who stopped to help Lewis Hayes finish his 2km?

Seems like a good fella.

Elijah Tsatas (profile)​

Height -:-186 - 188cm (depending on what you read)
Weight -:- 76 - 80kg
Oakleigh Chargers
Midfielder

Tsatas 2.png

His boyish good looks saw many a maiden bedded in a tent to ensure the reputation of the Oakleigh Chargers was upheld.
Undoubtably would have been the number 1 pick this year had a foot fracture not taken him away from the game for 3 months.
Won the Oakleigh Chargers Fairest and Best from a mere 6 games on the field. Has a good balance of inside outside game in his midfield role and is blessed with Judd like breakaway speed from the centre. Picks off team mates with ease with his deadly accurate kicking and has the handball skills of the great Polly Farmer. Defensive skills are allegedly something he needs to work on but is yet to be proven as no-one can catch him.

TSATAS.png

Nooo I wanted him

Saints bid on Max Michalanney, has he nominated the crows?
Falco
If Adelaide match they will lose pick 44 and carry a 25 point deficit into next years draft

With pick 35 the St Kilda football club selects Sam Gilbey

188cm/71kg
Medium Defender
Claremont

Sam is a classy left footer with a nice kick who makes good decisions when rebounding. He’s an athletic medium defender who reads the play exceptionally well and is a good intercept marker. He often plays above his weight and holds his own through contact.
Unfortunately due to a bout of glandular fever and then a broken leg we are yet to see the best of him. However, Sam has the potential to work his way into the midfield or onto a the wing with his high upside.

Your up Yeo_Check_Out_ma_Flow

Cheers Hook461123

With pick 36, the Port Adelaide Football club select James Van Es. Could be considered a bit of a reach for some, however James shot up the draft board due to his strong showing at the combine, and he fits an area of need for Port. I was also considering a ruck, but Barnett was gone and I considered the risk on Broadbent at 36 too great. Key Forward was also considered, but likewise too risky to take Lemmey and not convinced about Scully. Van Es is built like a brick shithouse and ready-made for the AFL, if he can put it all together in a professional environment.

Height: 196cm

Weight: 97kg

D.O.B: 07-08-2004

gettyimages-1233403962-2048x2048.jpg

Courtesy of Rookie Me Central -

SNAPSHOT: “James Van Es is an intercept marking machine for the GWV Rebels, with his positioning and strength one-on-one among his best traits”

James Van Es is a strong key defender with upside for the future given his remarkable athleticism that could still be further implemented on-field to add extra weapons to his game. The Greater Western Victoria (GWV) Rebels defender is a natural leader who was impressive for St Patrick’s College in the Herald Sun Shield Grand Final loss to Whitefriars College.

Van Es is a reliable backman who earned Vic Country representative honours, often being a critical interceptor, but also one who could play on an opponent and nullify them. Being a strong defender who had athletic traits makes him a player who has potential if a club can give him a chance. He averaged 11.3 disposals, 4.0 marks and 3.3 rebound 50s at the AFL Under 18 Championships, and was able to have a mix of defending one-on-one and finding space to step into.

In a draft crop where there are strong defenders, and then athletic defenders, Van Es is a player who could be a mix of both, but he could further showcase his athleticism – mainly his 2.91-second 20m sprint – on-field. Overall though his year has been a successful one for his draft stocks, with the 197cm and 99kg prospect developing strongly in a GWV Rebels side that produced the best bigman in the draft crop in Aaron Cadman.

STRENGTHS:
  • Intercept marking
  • Positioning
  • Rebounding
  • Strength
  • One-on-Ones

IMPROVEMENTS:

• In-game athleticism
  • Ground balls

James Van Es is a potentially value selection lower down in the AFL Draft order, but is the type of player that could raise interest from certain clubs depending on what they are looking for. On face value, Van Es is just a strong key defender who reads the ball well, positions himself accordingly behind the play, and then holds onto big grabs with consistency. Though on-field he does not always look like being overly athletic, Van Es is a player who has the upside to impact more offensively as per his superb testing results at the National Draft Combine.

At the recent testing event, Van Es topped all-comers in the running vertical jump (98cm) and second in the standing vertical jump (75cm), while ranked second from the key defenders who tested in terms of his agility. Combine that with his 2.91-second 20m sprint, and Van Es on paper is a well-rounded athlete. When he is able to really start punishing teams more by using that on-field, he can take his game to another level. Right now he can leap consistently and easily beat his opponent in that area, but is often a one-on-one defender without a lot of freedom other than when receiving uncontested in the back pockets.

Van Es is a long kick, who will often look to put it down the line or to high percentage positions. He has seldom had stints up the other end of the field, but has been such a rock solid player in the back 50 for both the Rebels and Vic Country. A more readymade option than most to play in that defensive third, Van Es has some of the safest hands behind the ball and has the smarts to peel off his opponents when required.

Another area where Van Es could improve include is his ground balls, which is not a surprise for a player of his size who can impact so effectively in the air. Often most of his touches come from intercepting aerially, averaging the 1.8 tackles per game at NAB League level. It is not a major flaw for a player who has hands as safe as the Rebels defender does, but is a way to further enhance his game.

Though those areas are ways to improve, Van Es does have that rare balance of readymade strength, smarts and scope for athletic improvement. If it can all come together for him, then Van Es could prove a value selection. However it would not be a shock if the Rebels defender was taken earlier in the draft given his testing success and consistent year at an intercepting key defender.

eaglespremiers you're up mate.

Mop has offered to step in for eaglespremiers to select for Melbourne

So to keep this draft moving can you provide the Melbourne selection please Mop

In a shock move, Melbourne select Jackson Broadbent from Peel Thunder (ruck - 201cm/100kg) with pick 36

Justification to come

Carbine Chaos
You ruined my plan Mop!

original.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I watch the Dogs I do think a big hole on their list is that small/medium forward range - half the time they're lumped with spuds like Vandemeer, or pigeon-holing midfielders like West or Garcia in there. This may be seen as a bit of a reach/punt, but as he's a member of Essendon's NGA, I believe I have to take him within the first 40 picks or he's gonzo, so I select...

ANTHONY MUNKARA

68b6ef23b094f01af520c4113954c409

SNAPSHOT: “A widely skilled forward with immense talent and athleticism, capable of delivering X-factor in spades.”

One of the most prolifically talented prospects in this year’s draft pool is Anthony Munkara. The Tiwi Islands native plays with freedom and enjoyment, which rubs off on onlookers as he sets games alight with instinctual skill and a deep bag of tricks.

With senior NTFL experience under his belt, Munkara has most often been sighted tearing up South Australian college football with Westminster, but also linked up with West Adelaide for a couple SANFL Under 18 outings this year.

The leading Northern Territory talent and Essendon Next Generation Academy member also donned Australian colours as part of this year’s AFL Academy, and continued his representative experience with the Allies.

While he may not have the same amount of high-level exposure or experience as other players in his range, there is little doubting Munkara’s ability as one of the crop’s most promising forwards.

STRENGTHS:

• Aerial ability
  • Athleticism
  • Dual-sided
  • Goal sense
  • Skills
  • X-factor

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Consistency
  • Limited exposure
  • Raw

The sample size may be relatively small, but there is little doubting the extent of Munkara's talent. At his best, he can win games off his own boot with dynamic work inside forward 50, leaning on a wide range of skills and his athleticism to produce highlight reel plays.

He earned his SANFL Under 18s berth this season with a pair of games in the first two rounds, shaking off early nerves to boot four goals from 14 touches on debut. Between those outings, and his exciting showing for the AFL Academy, Munkara looked every bit a top-end prospect.

Among the traits on display were his speed and goal sense, as well as the ability to pull off a range of kicks off both feet from all angles and distances, and the strength to fend off opponents while being tackled - just ask Collingwood's Arlo Draper. Nearing the 190cm mark, he fares well aerially too.

Even while warming up, there's a sense of excitement around what Munkara can do. He seems like a genuine entertainer who thrives on showing off to the crowd just what he's capable of.

The 17-year-old looks at home up forward, but also played in the ruck for Westminster College, such is his explosive athletic ability. On the odd play he would take the ball from the ruck, land like a cat, and take off with running bounces and one-two chains before setting his sights on goal.

Though there is plenty to like about his game, there are also a range of question marks left to answer. Since his five-disposal, three-mark outing for the Allies, Munkara did not return to the representative or SANFL scene for the rest of the season, leaving a gap in his top-age development.

In terms of improvement to be made, building an endurance base and lifting his consistency levels are two which can be worked on in elite environments. His limited exposure at high levels leaves him as a raw prospect who has an enormous skillset, but will have to figure out how to best utilise it in a more restrictive AFL system.

Many videos on YouTube of this kid worth checking out.

dajesmac is up

I'm pretty rough past the top 30 prospects so this one is probably a bit left field. I'll pick a genuine mid though on need.

With pick 38, GWS select Taj Campbell Farrell. 185cm midfielder from the Dandenong Stingrays who averaged 27.3 disposals a game in the Nab league this year.

Having lost Hopper and Taranto, I wanted to add some genuine mids in this draft. That rounds out a draft haul of Cadman, Hotton, Hustwaite, Hayes and Campbell-Farrell. The best KPF in the draft, the second best KPD, a talented midfielder forward, plus two mids. Happy with that mix.

AsterixTheGaul is up with Hawthorn.

With pick 40, Hawthorn select Jaxon Binns​

Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country – Midfielder/forward, 182cm, 72kg​

Binns breaks lines and cuts up the opposition going forward with his vision and execution by foot. And his hands are pretty quick in tight spaces, too.​

Eastcoasteagle

MELBOURNE RECRUITER SPEAKS - EXCLUSIVE TO BIGFOOTY.COM

Melbourne

NEW Demons lead recruiter Mop has spoken to Bigfooty.com reporter Keyser Soze about the slightly surprising pick of Peel Thunder and WA ruck prospect Jackson Broadbent at pick 36.

"Yeah, look Keys, we always rated Jackson very highly. With the loss of the other, inferior Jackson (the Luke kind), we felt the need to replenish our future ruck stocks were a priority and we had two key targets in the area and we've landed Jackson Broadbent which we're delighted with. We were delighted he slid to us at 36 after a strong early showing, we weren't sure he'd make it to us initially so we're glad the cards fell the way he did.

We know he's not quite the all around extra midfielder-type player the less loyal Jackson was, however we feel they fill a similar mould and being a bottom ager, having two of the best rucks in the comp in Maxy and Brodie Grundy showing him the ropes, he may well be a star for the future. He's already 100kgs, so he's ready to compete, as he has done a few times in the WAFL against grown men, we feel as if he'll fit in nicely at the Paddock "

At the moment Broadbent is best described as a pure mobile Ruckman, the Demons will look to develop his all around forward game to create a modern ruck capable of threatening in the middle or in front of the sticks

Mop wasn't originally due to be at the draft night, however the sudden resignation of eaglespremiers led to a change in personnel at the the Demons. Hopefully for them, the big West Australian can pick it up quickly and replenish the stocks in the right areas for his new club.

Pick 41. Sydney Swans

Apologies, everyone I just noticed I was tagged as the next pick as I didn't get a notification!

I am genuinely shocked that this guy is still on the board, it borders on crazy. I checked the above draft board 3 times to make sure I didn't miss that he had been taken - he has not!
He is not a need for the Swans, but based on talent he simply has to be taken... Maybe everyone left him for me, as they know I like him.

Adam D'Aliola (Woodville-West Torrens)

The SA captain is ultra consistent and rarely has a bad game, which led to him winning the SA Championships MVP.
Outside Wardlaw, he is the best ball winning midfielder in this years draft - elite for ground ball gets and hands in tight to feed outside players. This guy wills himself at the contest and provides much needed grunt around the ball - he is the perfect pairing with midfielders with great skills as he'll win you the ball and feed it out to elite ball users. He's a nice J.Kennedy replacement.
His knock comes on his kicking, it looks a tad unconventional but IMO is still effective. He'll need to remove the odd snap out of congestion, but otherwise he's the exact Swans prototype midfielder.

ArdentEagle you're up

Pick 41. Sydney Swans

Apologies, everyone I just noticed I was tagged as the next pick as I didn't get a notification!

I am genuinely shocked that this guy is still on the board, it borders on crazy. I checked the above draft board 3 times to make sure I didn't miss that he had been taken - he has not!
He is not a need for the Swans, but based on talent he simply has to be taken... Maybe everyone left him for me, as they know I like him.

Adam D'Aliola (Woodville-West Torrens)

The SA captain is ultra consistent and rarely has a bad game, which led to him winning the SA Championships MVP.
Outside Wardlaw, he is the best ball winning midfielder in this years draft - elite for ground ball gets and hands in tight to feed outside players. This guy wills himself at the contest and provides much needed grunt around the ball - he is the perfect pairing with midfielders with great skills as he'll win you the ball and feed it out to elite ball users. He's a nice J.Kennedy replacement.
His knock comes on his kicking, it looks a tad unconventional but IMO is still effective. He'll need to remove the odd snap out of congestion, but otherwise he's the exact Swans prototype midfielder.

ArdentEagle you're up

You have done well I am amazed that he was still on the board at 41.

I'm just on the toot at work 😂

I know I'm meant to take Harvey here but I'm not a fan. NM supporters have ask for another tall or running defender.

With the in mind I'll take Lachlan Cowan.
The the post above, I can't believe he's still available. What a score 🥳

Full write up for all picks this weekend.

Can someone please tag next one up for me please 🙏

Lol. He's taken.
I'll take Kaleb Smith please (SG broken leg has me worried)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back