Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
Pick 47. Swans

Will Dawson (Gippsland Power)

200cm key defender, he is the other reason I didnt match Cleary. Swans fill another list need and really really need a KPD. He is raw but has plenty of athletic traits for his size, I'm very confident he'll be a good key defender in 4 years time.
Strong in the air, good contested mark and one on one.

Tinrattlers is up next.

Is this where I point out that you’d still have this pick if you had matched the Cleary bid because it came late

You’ve ended up with Sanchez over Cleary

Well I had to work for this one and still couldn’t find a decent KPD.
Just like in the first round the two talls I wanted went in the two preceding picks.

Really not sure with this pick so I’ve gone for an upside tall.
With pick 48 North Melbourne select Liam Fawcett.

Strong overhead, mobile and strong in the contest there’s definitely something to work with. He’s a danger inside forward 50 but while he’s shown glimpses of his potential he had a bit of up and down year. After a good underage campaign he started the year slowly but kicked 14 goals in the last 5 games in u18 SANFL.
Avg 3 marks and a goal a game in the champs in a struggling SA team. At 197cm will provide some much needed height and aerial ability in the North forward line.

Sorry North you’re just going to have to overpay a KPD 800k a year next year to find one.

West Coast are thrilled to add a second Noah Long to the list. Can't have too much of a good thing, right?

Pick 49 - West Coast - LACHIE CHARLESON

GWV Rebels/Vic Country, 177cm, 74kg, FWD/MID

r0_96_2067_1258_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

With Sanchez predictably gone after I went for Simpson instead, I always had my eye on Charleson here as a small forward option. A natural footballer with a strong defensive focus, his forward craft really improved when sent forward in the Talent League, kicking 17 of his 24 goals in his final 5 games of the season. He had played primarily as an inside midfielder to that point.

Best of all, sounds like he's got a bit of the old BSD about him...

Celebrating big and getting under his opponents' skin is another trademark Charleson trait.

The aforementioned season and overall potential were really capped off by a huge display in the match where Reid went off injured, with a casual 22 touches, 5 marks and 8 goals (12 total scoring shots). His efforts for Vic Country were a little quieter, hence why he has slid this far, but there's enough to work with that I think he's worth the punt here.

STRENGTHS:
  • Defensive pressure
  • Ground level game
  • Intensity
  • Speed

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Consistency
  • Conversion

eaglespremiers

Is this where I point out that you’d still have this pick if you had matched the Cleary bid because it came late

You’ve ended up with Sanchez over Cleary
I used the draft calculator and it was different points value. It had 584 points down to 467.

West Coast are thrilled to add a second Noah Long to the list. Can't have too much of a good thing, right?

With Sanchez predictably gone after I went for Simpson instead, I always had my eye on Charleson here as a small forward option. A natural footballer with a strong defensive focus, his forward craft really improved when sent forward in the Talent League, kicking 17 of his 24 goals in his final 5 games of the season. He had played primarily as an inside midfielder to that point.

The aforementioned season and overall potential were really capped off by a huge display in the match where Reid went off injured, with a casual 22 touches, 5 marks and 8 goals (12 total scoring shots). His efforts for Vic Country were a little quieter, hence why he has slid this far, but there's enough to work with that I think he's worth the punt here.

STRENGTHS:
  • Defensive pressure
  • Ground level game
  • Intensity
  • Speed

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Consistency
  • Conversion

eaglespremiers

Couple of his games at the end of the year particularly the one you mentioned were 👌🏼

I used the draft calculator and it was different points value. It had 584 points down to 467.

Thought I’d ****ed up for a moment

Points discount is 20% or 197 points, whichever is higher

So the matching points in this instance was 584-197=387

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STRENGTHS:
  • Defensive pressure
  • Ground level game
  • Intensity
  • Speed

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Consistency
  • Conversion

eaglespremiers

Incidentally he and Reid are good mates.
I walked between an "altercation" where Charleson was absolutely ribbing Reid at quarter time in the game you mentioned (when Charleson kicked 8) from 50m away claiming that Reid was too much of a rockstar and thought too highly of himself. Reid found this suggestion highly amusing.

Up to pick 50 now and players still being picked up with draftable characteristics.

I don't think this draft is shallow per-se. It seems a risk/reward kind of draft after 15 or so.
Really cool to look back on this in 5 or so years.
Yeah agree can make a case for plenty of players in the second and third round to swap positions. It’s either a dud draft or runs actually deep.

Up to pick 50 now and players still being picked up with draftable characteristics.

I don't think this draft is shallow per-se. It seems a risk/reward kind of draft after 15 or so.
Really cool to look back on this in 5 or so years.

I remember one of the interviews O’Brien did, the Gettable one I think, and he was asked if he thought the draft was shallow. Said that he thought it was even and that’s what I think this mock is proving

There’s a fairly clear top 10, another smaller group of about 5, another 5-10 and then you can throw a blanket over a much larger group of 25+

I was pretty certain we’d only use 4 picks but West Coast’s 5th pick in this mock is soon and there’s still some players I would’ve unhappy with to choose from

Pick 50 Port Adelaide take Kane McAuliffe

1699314465185.png

An enforcer on the inside, Kane McAuliffe does plenty of grunt work through midfield and has a deceptively powerful athletic profile.”

Tested athletically at the combine very well, which swayed my hand over another big bull which is still surprisingly still on the board. Whilst it’s not an area of need adding to the midfield for Port it’s a player too good to walk past.

Pick 50 Port Adelaide take Kane McAuliffe

View attachment 1847714

An enforcer on the inside, Kane McAuliffe does plenty of grunt work through midfield and has a deceptively powerful athletic profile.”

Tested athletically at the combine very well, which swayed my hand over another big bull which is still surprisingly still on the board. Whilst it’s not an area of need adding to the midfield for Port it’s a player too good to walk past.
I like this guy as a later pick for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back