Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
Pick 50 Port Adelaide take Kane McAuliffe

View attachment 1847714

An enforcer on the inside, Kane McAuliffe does plenty of grunt work through midfield and has a deceptively powerful athletic profile.”

Tested athletically at the combine very well, which swayed my hand over another big bull which is still surprisingly still on the board. Whilst it’s not an area of need adding to the midfield for Port it’s a player too good to walk past.
Yep solid, was my next pick if he’d lasted

GWS - Pick 43
Billy Wilson - Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays/Dromana JFC - DOB: 16/06/05 - 183cm/72kg - defender/mid

Dependable and a hard worker, Wilson put up some good numbers at the Vic state combine to move him up draft boards - he ran the 20m sprint in 2.938 seconds and recorded the biggest vertical and running vertical jumps. He could move up onto a wing in time, but will likely start out down back.

Why him? Has a claim to be best available, but I was trying to pick some different sorts of players - Watson as a creative forward, DeMattia as a future midfielder and now Wilson as a rebounding defender. The fact he and DeMattia are Stingray teammates doesn't hurt, as it will help retain them in the future.

Who else? I was watching to see if Freijah or Lual made it this far, not realising that the Bulldogs had rights to the latter if he got past 40. With both of them gone, I also considered Clay Hall and my nephew Koen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Write up for Collingwood Pick 35 - Angus Hastie (190cm/74Kgs)

I was looking to go a tall here originally. I really wanted Goad but he was gone. I like Logan Morris but the Pies don't need another mid sized forward. I strongly considered Weatherill but I had him in the next tier down. (I also has Simpson, Delean and Freijah on the list)

In the end, I stuck with the brief the Pies fans gave me and went for more speed and huge upside.

I'm a big fan of players with a basketball background (hey, it's the only sport I managed to play at a high level so some bias there) but the skills a transferrable without a doubt.

The kid only got serious last year and had already come on leaps and bounds. Very agile and quick, also a very good 1v1 defender with huge upside. Kicking can be a little bit off from time to time but he's very new to the game and I think this will be rectified.

A real exciting young talent.

Name
PositionAgeHeightMassArmHandRunVJ_L20mAgil2Kmin2Ksec
Hastie, AngusTall Defender18.1189.673.882.920.6833.0588.2040623

1699399690979.png

Last edited:
Geelong select

Kade De La Rue
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
FWD, 183cm, 79kg

Talent League: 8 games, 20.5 disposals, 0.7 goals

De La Rue is a smart and agile forward offering great decision-making with ball in hand. His football IQ is what sets him apart from the other mid-forwards in the draft, able to create opportunities for his teammates with skill and class.

Carbine Chaos

Bit of a tricky one here. I haven't quite gotten the range of player types that I wanted, but at the same time I didn't want to reach for particular positions if I didn't deem them worthy. Hopefully we can find a way to add a Livingstone for free at the end.

I also believe we have a real hole on the list - mid-aged players - and picking up a mature player here helps fill that void a little.

Pick 55 - West Coast - SHAUN MANNAGH

Werribee Football Club, 175cm, 80kg, FWD/MID

god7kW3z.jpg

Even though they lost the VFL Grand Final, the 26-year old Mannaghed to win best afield honours with 28 disposals and 6 goals. He's ready to contribute straight away and is more than capable of playing AFL, as suggested by the highly respected Michael Barlow...

Barlow said half-forward Mannagh would comfortably be in most teams' starting 22.

"If you take a half-forward-mid from an AFL list, and you put them in a VFL season and they have to play the whole year, maybe five per cent of them are having games like Shaun Mannagh has," Barlow said.

"I'd be willing to say he is in the best 22 of a lot of sides at the moment.

"Disregard the age. [He's] 26, that's still a four-to-five-year career to come for someone who's great culturally, got a great work ethic and is a great person."

An excitement machine capable of dashing through the lines and hitting the scoreboard reguarly, Mannagh would work well in conjunction with the younger mids we have developing, while being able to step aside for them and contribute up forward as well.

ThePuma #9 I believe you're up again.

Bit of a tricky one here. I haven't quite gotten the range of player types that I wanted, but at the same time I didn't want to reach for particular positions if I didn't deem them worthy. Hopefully we can find a way to add a Livingstone for free at the end.

I also believe we have a real hole on the list - mid-aged players - and picking up a mature player here helps fill that void a little.

Pick 55 - West Coast - SHAUN MANNAGH

Werribee Football Club, 175cm, 80kg, FWD/MID

god7kW3z.jpg

Even though they lost the VFL Grand Final, the 26-year old Mannaghed to win best afield honours with 28 disposals and 6 goals. He's ready to contribute straight away and is more than capable of playing AFL, as suggested by the highly respected Michael Barlow...

An excitement machine capable of dashing through the lines and hitting the scoreboard reguarly, Mannagh would work well in conjunction with the younger mids we have developing, while being able to step aside for them and contribute up forward as well.

ThePuma #9 I believe you're up again.

Great choice. Should have been Woodcock but great choice all the same.

Still one guy (not Woodcock) that I'd like to see drafted

Which brings the final West Coast haul to...

Harley Reid - MID/FWD
Zane Zakostelsky - KPD/RUC
Cooper Simpson - MID
Lachie Charleson - FWD/MID
Shaun Mannagh - FWD/MID

I'd have loved to have added a key forward, but didn't fancy any of the ones available. I suppose if Williams is likely to play more forward this season it isn't such a pressing need. Would have considered Mitch Edwards strongly with the Simpson pick had he slid, and ultimately the haul probably would have been more balanced had that eventuated.

I was disappointed to miss out on Hastie, and had considered Philactides with my last pick, but he was already taken. I think speedy defenders are a real area of need that I sadly didn't address.

Ultimately I'm comfortable that I went best available according to my own rankings, even if a couple may be considered reaches by others. The pace and skill mix in the list above is one I'm very pleased with.

This will be Geelong Cats last selection as i'm passing after this but the Geelong Cats select

Harvey Johnstone

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

MID/FWD, 183cm, 79kg

Talent League: 13 games, 17.5 disposals, 0.5 goals

A midfielder-forward with a lovely sidestep, Johnstone has had a consistent top-age campaign culminating in the Talent League premiership. He always has time on his side thanks to brilliant evasiveness, and he makes good decisions with ball in hand.

Rounding out the Cats selections as

12. Nate Caddy (Tall Fwd)
29. Archie Roberts (HBF Def)
54. Kade De La Rue (Sml Fwd)
56. Harvey Johnstone (Mid/Fwd)

Mop you're on the clock.

Easy.

St Kilda select George Stevens from the Greater Western Victorian Rebels.

An easy pick and a bit of a surprise he’s still here. A possible high quality mid with some injury risks. At this point this is a free hit on what could be a bang

Remove this Banner Ad

Back