Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
Which brings the final West Coast haul to...

Harley Reid - MID/FWD
Zane Zakostelsky - KPD/RUC
Cooper Simpson - MID
Lachie Charleson - FWD/MID
Shaun Mannagh - FWD/MID

I'd have loved to have added a key forward, but didn't fancy any of the ones available. I suppose if Williams is likely to play more forward this season it isn't such a pressing need. Would have considered Mitch Edwards strongly with the Simpson pick had he slid, and ultimately the haul probably would have been more balanced had that eventuated.

I was disappointed to miss out on Hastie, and had considered Philactides with my last pick, but he was already taken. I think speedy defenders are a real area of need that I sadly didn't address.

Ultimately I'm comfortable that I went best available according to my own rankings, even if a couple may be considered reaches by others. The pace and skill mix in the list above is one I'm very pleased with.
Speed out of defence seemed like a concern for me too, but I think if we can keep Cole and Burgiel on the park, to go with Hough and Jones we’re not in too bad of shape back there. I also really liked how Baker came on for us in the WAFL this season and I predict Harley to play a good portion of his TOG off the half backline to start for us.

Speed out of defence seemed like a concern for me too, but I think if we can keep Cole and Burgiel on the park, to go with Hough and Jones we’re not in too bad of shape back there. I also really liked how Baker came on for us in the WAFL this season and I predict Harley to play a good portion of his TOG off the half backline to start for us.
I definitely think Burgiel's future is on a wing, but can see him starting on a flank for sure.

I think Reid is nailed on to play FWD/MID from the off.

We've really lacked a cutting edge since Jetta left - while Jones is quick, he doesn't have the kicking skills to match.

I definitely think Burgiel's future is on a wing, but can see him starting on a flank for sure.

We've really lacked a cutting edge since Jetta left - while Jones is quick, he doesn't have the kicking skills to match.
I don’t think we’ve ever had anyone close to the kicking skills of Jetta off half back tbh.

I could see Reid getting the Sheezel treatment next year. Projects as a dangerous forward half player but in a s**t side maybe best played behind the ball to get used to getting his hands on it.

I'm not sure how much Reid will learn in 2024 with our low inside 50s

St Kilda select Will Lorenz from Oakleigh Chargers.

Dual tooled midfielder with inside and out qualities, a solid pickup at this late stage.

Will need time to get his body up to AFL standards as he’s only light, hence a possible reason for the slide.

At pick 60 Port Adelaide select Bodie Ryan

Two really good options left for Port here.

Jack Callinan who is a quality small Fwd from Tassie and an academy player from this year that had a really solid year both for the Allies and the Tassie U18 boys.

Bodie Ryan a defender from SA who actually was BOG for SA in two of there State games this year.

Both for me have a fit at Port and both deserve an opportunity on an AFL list but I’m going with Ryan.

SNAPSHOT: “Bodie Ryan is a resolute intercept defender who also helps launch attacks on the turnover.”

Having watched cousin Jakob make the AFL grade just last year, Bodie Ryan is a chance of being taken in the 2023 draft. The Glenelg defender was part of the Bays’ SANFL Under 18s premiership as a bottom-ager, and went on to produce a strong top-age campaign for club, school (Sacred Heart), and state.

Ryan was named best afield in South Australia’s last two games of the National Championships, proving a reliable member of the Croweaters’ back six. In the first of those outings, he was tasked with locking down Harley Reid after the top prospect booted three goals in the game’s opening 10 minutes.

The 18-year-old also broke through for senior experience late in the year, turning out twice for Glenelg’s Reserves. They weren’t just any two regular old games either, with Ryan coming in for the semi final and duly playing a part in the Bays’ premiership triumph.

St Kilda select Will Lorenz from Oakleigh Chargers.

Dual tooled midfielder with inside and out qualities, a solid pickup at this late stage.

Will need time to get his body up to AFL standards as he’s only light, hence a possible reason for the slide.
Rate him. Light yes, but outside run catch me if you can type qualities.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

At pick 60 Port Adelaide select Bodie Ryan

Two really good options left for Port here.

Jack Callinan who is a quality small Fwd from Tassie and an academy player from this year that had a really solid year both for the Allies and the Tassie U18 boys.

Bodie Ryan a defender from SA who actually was BOG for SA in two of there State games this year.

Both for me have a fit at Port and both deserve an opportunity on an AFL list but I’m going with Ryan.

SNAPSHOT: “Bodie Ryan is a resolute intercept defender who also helps launch attacks on the turnover.”

Having watched cousin Jakob make the AFL grade just last year, Bodie Ryan is a chance of being taken in the 2023 draft. The Glenelg defender was part of the Bays’ SANFL Under 18s premiership as a bottom-ager, and went on to produce a strong top-age campaign for club, school (Sacred Heart), and state.

Ryan was named best afield in South Australia’s last two games of the National Championships, proving a reliable member of the Croweaters’ back six. In the first of those outings, he was tasked with locking down Harley Reid after the top prospect booted three goals in the game’s opening 10 minutes.

The 18-year-old also broke through for senior experience late in the year, turning out twice for Glenelg’s Reserves. They weren’t just any two regular old games either, with Ryan coming in for the semi final and duly playing a part in the Bays’ premiership triumph.
Really like the look of this kid.

Charlie Edwards
#whitemencantjump 🤣

Name
DOTClubDOBPositionAgeHeightMassArmHandReachAbsVJAbsRunVJ_RAbsRunVJ_LVJ%Rank VJRunVJ_R%Rank RUN VJRRunVJ_L%Rank Run VJ L5m%Rank 5m10m%Rank 10m20m%Rank 20mAgil%Rank Agility2Kmin2Ksec2K%Rank 2kmTT
Edwards, Charlie08-Oct-23Sandringham Dragons18/5/200518.4191.18587.024.02483083053156016.9%570.0%679.4%1.12354.8%1.82664.2%3.13522.7%8.94617.0%62438480.8%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one like for the detailed info draft combine results above. That wasn't too easy to get you know.
Call yourselves draft enthusiasts.... ******* Philistines!!!

suck-it-wwe.gif

Not one like for the detailed info draft combine results above. That wasn't too easy to get you know.
Call yourselves draft enthusiasts.... ******* Philistines!!!

suck-it-wwe.gif

You expect me to scroll and press the like button?

Sounds like a lot of work.

Melbourne with their final pick take...

Sam Van Rooyen

This pick is more of a "good feels" rather than based on anything else.
Pair him up with his brother on the list and hope he comes good.
Though it's more likely Sam or the F/S pick of Kynan Brown could go as Rookie selections instead.

1699526599558.png

Melbourne with their final pick take...

Sam Van Rooyen

This pick is more of a "good feels" rather than based on anything else.
Pair him up with his brother on the list and hope he comes good.
Though it's more likely Sam or the F/S pick of Kynan Brown could go as Rookie selections instead.

View attachment 1849494
I'm actually wondering if he could end up as a big bodied mid. Agility is off the charts.

Still a great pick up so late

Please forgive me for holding things ..
Could Keys or someone fill in for my Picks ..
Thank you

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s the last pick so we can call it a pass which is very likely what happens anyway

Means that we’re done here

If there’s enough interest I might run a second mock next week with live trading this time

With the last pick in the draft the Bulldogs draft Logan Evans.

Good, honest, reliable mid sized defender who is good defensively, pretty good on the rebound and has a significantly better than average kick and he tends to make smart decisions quickly.

I highly doubt he'll be a star but at this part of the draft I think he's a very good shot at making a 100+ game player.

Fox Sports top 50 is an interesting read and spead.

They have at or around our picks

1 Reid
27 Sanchez ( a bit early even they say)
29 Dimattia
30 Mitch Edwards
32 Goad
36 ZZ
38 Dealan
39 Will Dawson
40 Cooper Simpson
44 Moir:eek::oops:
48 Clay Hall
49 Joel Freijah

Need to get that 58 into the mid to late 40's.

Live picks 1, 29, 42 and 55.

And we are supposidly chasing the Suns pick 24 which becomes 30. Trade for 24 and 38 with a F2nd F4th and 58?

1 Reid
29 Demattia
30 ZZ or Goad
42 Moir
43 Freijah (reminds me of Yeo how he moves, strong in the hips. Or Hall if we want a big mid.

3 balanced mids. Reid, Demattia and Freijah. Mids who can play back or forward.

1 tall

1 Forward / Mid. Moir also potentially a utility who can play elsewhere.

And PS Murphy ranked at 19. Must having the same dream I had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back