WCE Members in WA

Remove this Banner Ad

The curse of being the richest club in the country with a massive fan base is that if you cancel, there’s a queue in the tens of thousands waiting to take your place.

If you keep your membership and don’t go, they really don’t care. They’ve got your cash.

Eagles being the benchmark club in the comp financially is great in so many ways, but it also means they need us the least by some distance.

The curse of being the richest club in the country with a massive fan base is that if you cancel, there’s a queue in the tens of thousands waiting to take your place.

If you keep your membership and don’t go, they really don’t care. They’ve got your cash.

Eagles being the benchmark club in the comp financially is great in so many ways, but it also means they need us the least by some distance.
Yeah its frustrating. But you would think you would want some pride and not damage your brand

The club executive isn't going to put up with week after week of 10+goal losses for long. If we get to the bye with one win and sitting bottom, I expect some changes.

I was thinking this too.

Eventhough members have paid up. Pretty sure OS management will be shitty as revenue from food/drink will be well down...this may have some pushback on WCE?

Correct. I don’t know the exact number but I know Mark Duffield has mentioned this multiple times that we get a significant bounty if we hit above 50k and are hit hard if it’s below 40k or so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's fairweather to not turn up when we are losing.

It's NOT fair weather to not turn up when the team of Simpsons favourites don't actually put in any effort IMO.

I'll go watch a team of youngsters and top ups have a crack and lose. If the effort is there, that's fine. Absolutely. But I don't begrudge anyone for skipping a game to sit in the cold whilst our senior players collect a pay check with minimal effort or pride in the jumper.

I am a seated member and feel the same way about having to turn up to games, especially if I feel that the players are not turning up, but then I think about how good it was turning up week after week in 2015, 2018 and am glad I don't support a team like St Kilda, Melbourne, Freo who are perennial cellar-dwellers apart form the odd year or two when they make the finals (or once every fifty years when they may win a flag).

Apart from the MC favouring our senior players, our lack of match fitness and inability to stay on the park etc, some of our issues are that we don't benefit from father-son picks, we don't have an academy like Sydney to prop us up and realistically our NGA selection pool is not as good as Freo's, and we don't slide down the ladder enough to get the best picks.

I'd be advocating to look more into issues such as what the heck were we thinking when we agreed to the NGA catchment areas?

Our match performances are symptoms of much deeper seated flawed decision-making within our club. Our administrators have let us down as much as our players have. and it has been going on for a few years. Look at our agreement with Castor and our issues with the AFLW team from jumpers to... well, everything.

Last edited:

It's NOT fair weather to not turn up when the team of Simpsons favourites don't actually put in any effort IMO.

I'll go watch a team of youngsters and top ups have a crack and lose. If the effort is there, that's fine. Absolutely. But I don't begrudge anyone for skipping a game to sit in the cold whilst our senior players collect a pay check with minimal effort or pride in the jumper.
this.

If you could see sparks from kids coming through it excites the crowd but there is literally not 1 player to be excited about on the team or waiting to come through.

At least early 00s you could see Judd kerr cox sampi braun Fletcher coming through

early 10s you had JK JD shuey NN etc

No one now and its pretty much coaching/selection related

That makes sense :thumbsu:

It's not really in my DNA to not turn up but I totally get why others feel differently. And I agree that a team that loses is different to a team that doesn't appear to even try.
But the point about it not having an impact on the club because they've got our money regardless - I'm not sure that's right.
People waiting in the wings would surely be just as pissed off at the insipid play as seated members.
If attendance were to, let's say, drop below that of the Dockers then that would surely set off some alarm bells.
The real impact won't be known until next season's memberships (including wings) are due, but I think the club will know that if things stay s**t then they will need to take some kind of action to give people a reason to renew. And that action would need to be before the end of the season since our renewals are always due pretty early from memory.

If you could see sparks from kids coming through it excites the crowd but there is literally not 1 player to be excited about on the team or waiting to come through.
Hough and Allen are the stand outs for me.

Chesser also intriguing but very much an unknown at this stage. I see a bit of early McGovern about Jack Williams, and am also bullish on Bazzo.

But yeah, overall there isn't a whole lot. Needs a lot of suplementing.

As an interstate member Ive already told the wife ( as a lions member) we will go next week but I’m getting a seat as close to the carpark as possible at the gabba so I can sit in the car after quarter time because it’s going to be a slaughter of the highest order….
I don’t mind if my side gets flogged playing kids and trying to set up a game plan for the future but be stuffed if I’m watching the same old timers put in half efforts and collecting a pay cheque. I watched that in the first hub in 2020 and it seems they never got out of that funk.

No one has to go to the game. It’s not compulsory 🤷‍♂️ People can now make an informed decision, especially after seeing the selected side, opponent and the form line heading into the game.

I would hope that if you choose to go to the game knowing those factors, you don’t make a song and dance about leaving early, ranting and raving in some strange manner for attention. But hey we are all different 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back