WCE peak Judd was better than peak GAJ and peak Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Also we only saw Martin's best football for around 5 years. He took forever to find his best football and we saw it for a number of years before his performances dropped off again.
Yeah but this thread is about how good they were at their peak, not about longevity

I think it’s a pretty well established that mids are the ones that get flooded with awards. I don’t really want to go down this rabbit hole with you about it. For what it’s worth GAJ’s peak is better than Carey’s imo. He’s not part of this thread though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carey's peak from 1995-2000, 18 disposals, 7 marks, 3 goals per game, 2 x Premiership, 2 x MVP, 2 x B&F, 4 x AA. He played in multiple positions and his ability to stand up when a game was on the line was legendary.

Also we only saw Martin's best football for around 5 years. He took forever to find his best football and we saw it for a number of years before his performances dropped off again.
5 games**

Last edited:
2017 Dusty was better than not just Chris Judd but probably any player in the modern game. He polled the most Brownlow votes, bnf, AA, coaches award, mvp, norm smith, premiership, best finals player and every media award there was. Hell if we played him fwd a bit more he probably would have won the Coleman as well!
Over their entire careers is a different story however at their peak, Dusty easily.

ROFL…thanks for the lols.

5 games**

Obviously a bit of sarcasm, but a bit of a common misconception that he didn't play well unless it was a final.

As a tigers supporter I remember often sitting there texting or getting a phone call from my old man going - we're about done here, need some dusty magic or something to pull off this game. On queue would burst through and deliver a goal or two plus set up another to shift the momentum and win you the game.

It'd always be a piece of brilliance too. Like laying multiple tackles and winning the ball, or bursting through a pack and snapping a stupid goal, or a 60m pass to someone running in the clear. It happened too often to be a fluke, he just had a way of seizing the moment when he needed and rarely failed or got it wrong. Without him, we don't win those flags.

They're all ridiculous at their peak for what it's worth... If I had to chose, either to be in my team during our best years I dont know if GAJ or Judd would've won us the flags, doesn't mean they're not better though. Saw all of them play live (GAJ during his best years at cats, Judd rip us a new one at blues EF so not peak but was still class above and of course Dusty).

Have to say though saw Ablett Snr back in his day as a kid and that was pretty unreal too... Sitting on heads in the wet, kicking bags of goals - freak.

West Coast Chris Judd wasn’t even the best midfielder in his team, Ben Cousins was a far better footballer than Judd during the Eagles years.

Even as a Geelong supporter Ben Cousins is my favourite footballer of all time...he was just incredible. Judd's peak was awesome too but it helps when you've got Cuz and Kerr next to you, not to mention Cox tapping it down your throat (don't google that btw)

Gary Ablett junior at his peak was 10 times the player Judd was

10x is a bit over the top.

At their peak they're pretty even, Gaz was just better and for far longer.

If the Brownlow was simply a poll of 'who is the best player in the competition' rather than an umpire decided joke he wins it every year from '07-14 in a landslide.

GAJ at his peak is the greatest we have ever seen, he completely transformed footy as we know it today and every midfielder of the past 15 years would attest to that.

As much as I can't stand him GAJ was the definition of untagable at his best. He got the ball a lot and always seemed to know the right thing to do with it. He was definitely better than Judd and Martin at his peak.

As much as I can't stand him GAJ was the definition of untagable at his best. He got the ball a lot and always seemed to know the right thing to do with it. He was definitely better than Judd and Martin at his peak.
Understandable, footy fans always hate the best player in the oppostion line up. Judd was good, Martin was good, but Ablett jr is something we have never seen before. He set the bar higher than anybody else in the history of the game. His season in 2014 before he got injured with the Suns was the most outstanding ever seen in a team that was pretty much useless, he lost the Brownlow by 4 votes missing the final 6 games...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back