WCE peak Judd was better than peak GAJ and peak Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Goal coast legend GAJ was consistently good but his peak wasn’t as good as these two. Daylight between both of them.
haha nah, peak GAJ is possibly the best player the game has ever seen. You weren't old enough to see it, fair enough but there is good reason a lot of neutrals have him as #1 in this thread. Closer to Judd but definitely better than Dusty's peak though

haha nah, peak GAJ is possibly the best player the game has ever seen. You weren't old enough to see it, fair enough but there is good reason a lot of neutrals have him as #1 in this thread. Closer to Judd but definitely better than Dusty's peak though

How does it feel that your clubs second best player played his peak footy at the Suns and your best player didn’t win a flag, I’d be filthy. Both are duds in finals, cats won in 2011 without him lol. His peak whether at the cats or suns was a non factor to your clubs success. The other two clubs don’t win any flags without Judd or Dusty, that’s the difference and why their peaks are better because it includes finals not just irrelevant H&A games.

How does it feel that your clubs second best player played his peak footy at the Suns and your best player didn’t win a flag, I’d be filthy. Both are duds in finals, cats won in 2011 without him lol. His peak whether at the cats or suns was a non factor to your clubs success. The other two clubs don’t win any flags without Judd or Dusty, that’s the difference and why their peaks are better because it includes finals not just irrelevant H&A games.
Tell me you know nothing about football without telling me you know nothing about football. The emoji's are cute though

Oof truth hurts doesn’t it. To top it off GAJ came back to the cats to syphon off more money from you before retiring and didn’t contribute at all. He didn’t give a f about your club and everybody knows it, how sad
I love that I try to contribute to a topic and you're in here trying your best to derail the discussion with poor, overdone troll behaviour because I think GAJ is better than Dusty. It's just weird mate, if you wanna troll me go right ahead and jump on Bay13 and let it rip.

100 % agree. Judd at WCE is the greatest midfielder I have seen. Also the only player to make me stop doing something else and watch the football just for him

Ablett jnr was a great player but it was hardly must see TV to watch him accumulate another 40 posessions

I love that I try to contribute to a topic and you're in here trying your best to derail the discussion with poor, overdone troll behaviour because I think GAJ is better than Dusty. It's just weird mate, if you wanna troll me go right ahead and jump on Bay13 and let it rip.

Mate when you start saying nonsense like daylight between Jnrs peak and Dustys peak and Jnr’s peak is better than Judd’s you’re the troll.

Mate when you start saying nonsense like daylight between Jnrs peak and Dustys peak and Jnr’s peak is better than Judd’s you’re the troll.
lmao so having an opinion, that it appears a lot of neutral fans agree with, is being a troll? When you sit there and go on about how bad Geelong is because GAJ left, finals failures etc. You keep calling GAJ a finals dud, go look up his peak finals stats from 07-10

lmao so having an opinion, that it appears a lot of neutral fans agree with, is being a troll? When you sit there and go on about how bad Geelong is because GAJ left, finals failures etc. You keep calling GAJ a finals dud, go look up his peak finals stats from 07-10

But that’s my opinion. Can’t be a troll then, right? Did he not leave and Cats won 2011 anyway. Did he not get a norm Smith in 4 GFs. Did he not play his best final in 08 when a fat guy ripped apart your whole team, you would think GAJ’s peak would’ve gotten you across the line since his peak is the best ever right even daylight in front of Dusty? Face it, he didn’t help his teams to flags as much as the other two did. Idk how you can say his peak years are better than theirs.

The question is not asking peak years just in H&A its peak years for the WHOLE seasons which therefore includes finals.

But that’s my opinion. Can’t be a troll then, right? Did he not leave and Cats won 2011 anyway. Did he not get a norm Smith in 4 GFs. Did he not play his best final in 08 when a fat guy ripped apart your whole team, you would think GAJ’s peak would’ve gotten you across the line since his peak is the best ever right even daylight in front of Dusty? Face it, he didn’t help his teams to flags as much as the other two did. Idk how you can say his peak years are better than theirs.

The question is not asking peak years just in H&A its peak years for the WHOLE seasons which therefore includes finals.
Still havent looked up his finals stats have you?

Gold Coast legend GAJ was consistently good but his peak wasn’t as good as these two. Daylight between both of them.
Actually, i would argue that Ablett Jrs season with Gold Coast in 2014 is possibly the greatest individual season ever seen until he got a shoulder injury. In a team that couldn't beat an egg, he set the bar higher than anyone ever before him. He still polled 22 Brownlow votes losing by just 4, playing 7 games less than the winner!

Actually, i would argue that Ablett Jrs season with Gold Coast in 2014 is possibly the greatest individual season ever seen until he got a shoulder injury. In a team that couldn't beat an egg, he set the bar higher than anyone ever before him. He still polled 22 Brownlow votes losing by just 4, playing 7 games less than the winner!

Unlucky but a player’s durability is part of their game. Can’t use hypotheticals when judging players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still havent looked up his finals stats have you?

It is a fact in finals that he didn’t get as many BOGs as Dusty during each clubs dynasty runs or BOG % per game.

Haven’t looked up Judd but considering how good he was at WC 04-07 plus him getting a norm Smith would edge GAJ out. When Judd left WC went to hell and Dusty carried Richmond to 3 flags. As the meme goes No Dusty No Richmond, says it all really. Complete 180 with GAJ, they didn’t miss him at all.

It is a fact in finals that he didn’t get as many BOGs as Dusty during each clubs dynasty runs or BOG % per game.

Haven’t looked up Judd but considering how good he was at WC 04-07 plus him getting a norm Smith would edge GAJ out. When Judd left WC went to hell and Dusty carried Richmond to 3 flags. As the meme goes No Dusty No Richmond, says it all really. Complete 180 with GAJ, they didn’t miss him at all.
Judd never got a NS in a winning GF though so there goes your theory. Ablett was incredible in those 07-10 finals series and those performances, as well as his H&A performances is why practically everyone has him above Dusty.

Judd never got a NS in a winning GF though so there goes your theory. Ablett was incredible in those 07-10 finals series and those performances, as well as his H&A performances is why practically everyone has him above Dusty.

I’m well aware Judd got one in a losing GF. But that is still better than not having one at all. This doesn’t disprove my theory at all.

Practically everybody rates Dusty as the GOAT finals player, at least of the modern era. Couple this with his 2017 Brownlow season where he broke every record possible it puts his peak above GAJ. No player including GAJ did what he did in 2017 and the subsequent premierships. Dusty, Judd then Daylight. This is a peak thread not overall player thread, GAJ fans seem to be confused or assume consistency = peak performance. It doesn’t.

It depends who you want.

Judd will win you games (2013 EF)
GAJ will get you to finals (in a decent team)
Dusty will win you flags.

Each one is hard to rate.

Judd's peak was fantastic, yes. Brilliant even. But injures hampered him and in terms of career, out of the 3, he would be dead last.

GAJ won what he could (2 flags and a brownlow) and then left for money and a new challenge.

Dusty probably had more skill than both and was more versatile in that he could dominate through the midfield or tear up the forward line unlike what Judd or Ablett could do. However, Dusty was also never as super serious about the game as Judd or Ablett.

They all have their question marks:

What if Judd didn't get injured?
What if GAJ stayed at Geelong?
What if Dusty had the professional drive of someone like Judd?

Career wise, I'd go:

Dusty
GAJ
Judd.

Agree to disagree.
You don't come top 3 in the Brownlow 3 times if you're not an absolute jet.

Of course you will drop off in a lesser side.
Chris Judd dropped of a lot at Carlton.
Yes he won a Brownlow, which was dodgy at best.

Most fans will tell you he was a lot better player at WC.
West coast had crazy depth in that midfield around that 2005-7 era: cousins, Judd, Kerr, Embley, Braun, Stenglein, Chick etc.

Yeah Kerr was one vote short in that 2005 Brownlow ironically won by his team mate Ben cousins.

At the end of 2007, Eagles lost Judd, cousins, Chick, Braun and Rowan Jones. Hence why Eagles crashed into bottom 4 in 2008.

But looking back at that 2007 finals series. Dead had west coast held on and beat port. I still think West coast would of won that preliminary final vs north, even without Judd and cousins

GAJ.
Martin.
Judd.

Judd was an amazing player at WC, but Dusty's peak was absolutely better; Richmond built their game around unleashing a fresh (fresher than his opponents, at least) Dusty late in terms and in games, and it shows.

But Gary Abblett Junior is genuinely the best player I've ever seen. He was more untacklable than Martin without the fendoff, burst away like prime Judd his entire career but could thread a needle by foot or hand.

Where others played the game on easy, GAJ played on God mode.

It's funny really, that people remember him for consistency and use that consistency to underrate him. He's the best I've ever seen, and it isn't even close.

GAJ.
Martin.
Judd.

Judd was an amazing player at WC, but Dusty's peak was absolutely better; Richmond built their game around unleashing a fresh (fresher than his opponents, at least) Dusty late in terms and in games, and it shows.

But Gary Abblett Junior is genuinely the best player I've ever seen. He was more untacklable than Martin without the fendoff, burst away like prime Judd his entire career but could thread a needle by foot or hand.

Where others played the game on easy, GAJ played on God mode.

It's funny really, that people remember him for consistency and use that consistency to underrate him. He's the best I've ever seen, and it isn't even close.

I get that argument but seriously what else did people want Dusty to do, win the Coleman? I firmly believe nostalgia plays a big part about how players are remembered. Nobody remembers GAJ bad games as he retired a few years ago now, they do with Dusty because he is still playing. Looking back at the past with Rose tinted glasses is a big thing in sports, it can make a player seem unbeatable when they clearly weren’t.

I’m well aware Judd got one in a losing GF. But that is still better than not having one at all. This doesn’t disprove my theory at all.

Practically everybody rates Dusty as the GOAT finals player, at least of the modern era. Couple this with his 2017 Brownlow season where he broke every record possible it puts his peak above GAJ. No player including GAJ did what he did in 2017 and the subsequent premierships. Dusty, Judd then Daylight. This is a peak thread not overall player thread, GAJ fans seem to be confused or assume consistency = peak performance. It doesn’t.
The NS is a subjective award which is voted on by media personalities and you keep using it as a determining factor in who has a better peak because it suits your narrative, nothing you say will change mine or anyone elses mind.

The NS is a subjective award which is voted on by media personalities and you keep using it as a determining factor in who has a better peak because it suits your narrative, nothing you say will change mine or anyone elses mind.

All 3 NS were unanimous apart from Terry Wallace in 2017. This has never happened before in the history of the game. I believe it is 5 judges on the voting panel. Dusty was also voted the best player of all these finals series, also record. You are just bias af.

All 3 NS were unanimous apart from Terry Wallace in 2017. This has never happened before in the history of the game. I believe it is 5 judges on the voting panel. Dusty was also voted the best player of all these finals series, also record. You are just bias af.
Maybe I am biased, what about the neutrals in here who agree with me? You ever stop to think you're also definitely biased?

I get that argument but seriously what else did people want Dusty to do, win the Coleman? I firmly believe nostalgia plays a big part about how players are remembered. Nobody remembers GAJ bad games as he retired a few years ago now, they do with Dusty because he is still playing. Looking back at the past with Rose tinted glasses is a big thing in sports, it can make a player seem unbeatable when they clearly weren’t.
But that's just the thing: we're not talking about GAJ's bad games, we're talking about his peak. And his peak was better than Dusty's, in my opinion.

Dusty's finals in 2017 were the best games he played in his career. Peak of his powers. But are you defining a player's peak by 4 games? How do you place the limit on what you define as peak? Their best ever form?

Because GAJ's peak shouldn't be minimized because he ******* stayed at the same level that Dusty only reached in finals once for 4 seasons.

I used to say to my brother of early career GAJ that he'd only hit a target if he was being tackled, if he was under pressure; as though, when it was easy, he'd * it up because he had too much time and space and thought about it too much. Then he became the player we're talking about, and that player didn't make mistakes. One touch, untackleable, nonsense possessions and goals for years on end.

It's not nostalgia. He was just better. Don't think you'll be changing my mind on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back