Certified Legendary Thread We Are Essington - He’s back for Round 2!

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were a big and powerful club, something would have been done about it by now.

The opposite is true, mate. On the contrary, powerful clubs stay delusional for longer. Consequently they don't do the hard things that need to be done.

After winning five flags between '67 and '80 Richmond were a powerful club. As our results waned in the mid 80s we began to get deluded that if we just got the right stars, or the right coach we would immediately go back to former greatnes. As a result we got into trading wars with Collingwood, and turned to former Richmond greats to coach - Patterson, Bourke, Bartlett, Northey etc only to sack them a short time later. This continued all the way up early 2000 about the time Clinton Casey was sacked and we finally accepted we were no longer a big club and would have to do a proper build from the ground up like 'lesser' clubs.

Almost the identical story happened at Carlton begininng about 10 years later. They have only just now accepted that being a big club doesn't get it done any more. Being a big club is good for a couple of blockbuster TV spots per season -that's it. Any thing else is old time VFL thinking.

I just saw Timmy saying the biggest problem is the coach and that they chased the wrong franchise player. He couldn't be further from the mark IMO. Again, that is VFL thinking.

Until Essendon accept where they really are at, they'll continue to flounder around the middle of the table like 9mond did.

Until Essendon accept where they really are at, they'll continue to flounder around the middle of the table like 9mond did.

To be honest, we're already there. It's been 24 years for Carlton, and they're now building something that might actually work within a few years. It's been 19 years for us, and no change on the horizon.

Our longest gap ever between premierships is 19 years. Who knows where we would've gone without the ridiculous ASADA stuff, but here we are. The expectation of success runs deep across generations, because every family that's been Essendon for decades can remember a golden age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The opposite is true, mate. On the contrary, powerful clubs stay delusional for longer. Consequently they don't do the hard things that need to be done.

After winning five flags between '67 and '80 Richmond were a powerful club. As our results waned in the mid 80s we began to get deluded that if we just got the right stars, or the right coach we would immediately go back to former greatnes. As a result we got into trading wars with Collingwood, and turned to former Richmond greats to coach - Patterson, Bourke, Bartlett, Northey etc only to sack them a short time later. This continued all the way up early 2000 about the time Clinton Casey was sacked and we finally accepted we were no longer a big club and would have to do a proper build from the ground up like 'lesser' clubs.

Almost the identical story happened at Carlton begininng about 10 years later. They have only just now accepted that being a big club doesn't get it done any more. Being a big club is good for a couple of blockbuster TV spots per season -that's it. Any thing else is old time VFL thinking.

I just saw Timmy saying the biggest problem is the coach and that they chased the wrong franchise player. He couldn't be further from the mark IMO. Again, that is VFL thinking.

Yep. No arguments there.

One of the best posts I've ever seen on here.
I'm actually not even angry or surprised, but why the * are Justin Crow and Ben Rutten laughing @ 2.14 after we just lost....
Anyway, given it's all about having fun and enjoying the moment i guess they're just playing their role for Essington..

i want to keep losing just to see more of these vids
well, i'm sorry, that's highly unlikely.

i hear the players are keen to watch the tapes and identify a few themes.

so i guess everyone who loves these we are essington videos will have to just forget about seeing any more.

because once those game tapes have been watched, everything is going to really change.

well, i'm sorry, that's highly unlikely.

i hear the players are keen to watch the tapes and identify a few themes.

so i guess everyone who loves these we are essington videos will have to just forget about seeing any more.

because once those game tapes have been watched, everything is going to really change.
Huh ?

yesterday I was thumbing thru the shiny season guide the EFC thoughtfully sent us out in the mail

first few lines of the word from Woosh

'What's a pass mark for us this year Woosh?'

Woosh: "first of all a passmark is our fans smiling and being happy"

My contention is Woosh and the club have hired Cupido4lyfe to gain a passmark via the backdoor in an act of subterfuge so duplicitous it is bordering on laughable

damn, they got me again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back