We are lucky to still have standing room.

Remove this Banner Ad

scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Interesting chat on the Age podcast today about crowd behaviour. Last time down at the cattery - I only get down 3-4 times a year now days - my girlfriend was keen to get seats. I first explained that our memberships don't come with seats - which she wasn't buying (it's true but I also wasn't buying, seats that is). I then just told her that I liked standing room, it was much more fun, got for some bants and I was keen to have a beer (I only had 2, so, okay, keen to have 2 beers).

We then listened to a bloke explain in reasonably funny terms why Gary Rohan was easily his third favourite Gary, and then called for another Gary-to-Gary every time any player got the ball. It was rather entertaining!

As was, many years ago, "we want goallllsss Kent, KENT GOALS!" to a poor Kent Kingsley who had a couple of dry weeks, but had remember to grab Scarlo's boots and went on to kick a bag.

Why are we lucky? Well, we still have a place where adults can watch footy. I am all for families going to the footy and I think we all know there is a level of banter that stops becoming banter. However, I think one of the problems with crowd behaviour can sometimes be the different groups of people mixed in together. I know I have sworn at the footy, looked down and seen two kids peering over seats and promptly just got up, apologised to parents, and walked over to standing room (at the G). I am not one to go off all that regularly, but I am a little expressive when it comes to my descriptive words!

Sadly one day, the Cats will probably take it away. But they shouldn't. Having a place, free from kids (if you take your kid in there, your problem) where people can have bants, drink a bit (too much even) and have a good time is a good thing to have!

I have never. Not once. Sworn at the footy.
And I used to have a beer or two whenever i went on my own. I can't remember leaving the footy without the ability to drive. Umm, maybe a few times now I think about it. Drinking wine at presidents dinner etc.

However, I do agree with your thoughts on standing room.
At the G it's a bit of an issue as its right at the back of the bays where families sit.

In the new development I reckon it would work if say the first 3 bays after the hickey stand were standing room only.

Would also be good for those that are walk ups.

I have never. Not once. Sworn at the footy.

You are a better person than me! (I swear far too much)

I even just like a place where I don't have to sit down. I was told off at the 2007 GF by someone as I jumped out of my seat every time we scored - which was a LOT. And I was on my very very best behaviour that day as I was invited by work and was sitting two seats down from the then CEO.

You could argue all day as to who was being more precious (him) and discourteous (me) but it is why I love standing room. You cruise in, find yourself a spot and even if you don't like the people around you, too tall, too drunk, too loud, too Port Adelaide, you just walk 3m and start again! It has a better atmosphere and feels more like a community (in my opinion which is worth nought to anyone bar me!)

Interesting chat on the Age podcast today about crowd behaviour. Last time down at the cattery - I only get down 3-4 times a year now days - my girlfriend was keen to get seats. I first explained that our memberships don't come with seats - which she wasn't buying (it's true but I also wasn't buying, seats that is). I then just told her that I liked standing room, it was much more fun, got for some bants and I was keen to have a beer (I only had 2, so, okay, keen to have 2 beers).

We then listened to a bloke explain in reasonably funny terms why Gary Rohan was easily his third favourite Gary, and then called for another Gary-to-Gary every time any player got the ball. It was rather entertaining!

As was, many years ago, "we want goallllsss Kent, KENT GOALS!" to a poor Kent Kingsley who had a couple of dry weeks, but had remember to grab Scarlo's boots and went on to kick a bag.

Why are we lucky? Well, we still have a place where adults can watch footy. I am all for families going to the footy and I think we all know there is a level of banter that stops becoming banter. However, I think one of the problems with crowd behaviour can sometimes be the different groups of people mixed in together. I know I have sworn at the footy, looked down and seen two kids peering over seats and promptly just got up, apologised to parents, and walked over to standing room (at the G). I am not one to go off all that regularly, but I am a little expressive when it comes to my descriptive words!

Sadly one day, the Cats will probably take it away. But they shouldn't. Having a place, free from kids (if you take your kid in there, your problem) where people can have bants, drink a bit (too much even) and have a good time is a good thing to have!
Good post. I used to love it. Especially the oppo fans, you'd banter all day and feel like friends at the end.
Sadly I can't go know cause I got kids and they can't see and f**ked if I'm paying for seats.
I do like standing in the Southern stand at the G though. It's not too bad.
Don't really like taking my kids there though on a night game, not cause of the crowd behavior or anything but getting out and the train station. It's a bit sketchy.

You are a better person than me! (I swear far too much)

I even just like a place where I don't have to sit down. I was told off at the 2007 GF by someone as I jumped out of my seat every time we scored - which was a LOT. And I was on my very very best behaviour that day as I was invited by work and was sitting two seats down from the then CEO.

You could argue all day as to who was being more precious (him) and discourteous (me) but it is why I love standing room. You cruise in, find yourself a spot and even if you don't like the people around you, too tall, too drunk, too loud, too Port Adelaide, you just walk 3m and start again! It has a better atmosphere and feels more like a community (in my opinion which is worth nought to anyone bar me!)
I'm not better than you.
I just happened to grow up with a father who changed when he was at the footy.

He never swore. He just became aggressive with his voice.
I never liked it. I didn't tell him for 35 years. But I promised myself I'd never be like that.

swearing doesn't bother me btw. 'Oh, f^*%'. Fine in my book. Screaming 'that's effing bs you mother f.. Maggot ' is not.

Good point. But it’s kinda bs paying extra for a seat when 95% of the stadium is seated, and the mcg is basically all seats and you don’t pay extra for them afaik.
Yep, it's total bullshit IMO. Not very family friendly.
But also on the other hand it's how the club makes most of it's money.

Speaking as a childless (I hope!!!) periodically single man I reckon 'family' sections and 'adult' sections would work well at the footy. As a man who has casually sworn all his life I find swearing loudly at the umpires or the opposition to be a cathartic experience. I don't do it aggressively, but I do do it.

I reckon there should be a section where I and those of my ilk can do so safely and away from the ire of horrorstruck parents and their gleeful children excited at learning new words which they'll repeat often on the car ride home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking as a childless (I hope!!!) periodically single man I reckon 'family' sections and 'adult' sections would work well at the footy. As a man who has casually sworn all his life I find swearing loudly at the umpires or the opposition to be a cathartic experience. I don't do it aggressively, but I do do it.

I reckon there should be a section where I and those of my ilk can do so safely and away from the ire of horrorstruck parents and their gleeful children excited at learning new words which they'll repeat often on the car ride home.
The "Geelong Sicko Stand of Shame".

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone (well, 99.9% of people) mind a bit of swearing at the footy so long as you don't drop c-bombs in front of the kids, or at least too many f-bombs. And don't get abusive.

I don't mind standing room at KP, but with one exception:

I remember once a mate and I went down to watch Geelong v Melbourne. Got down early to get a good step. Pretty reasonable game (i.e. we were winning), but at half-time we sat on the step behind us and unwrapped some lunch. Two old campaigners - let's call them Doris and Reg - decided to stand around chatting on the front half of our step. Fair enough, it's half time, whatever. THEN THEY DIDN'T ******* MOVE. Reg, of course, was six foot tall or so. I'm all of five foot seven. My view was... not great.

Nowadays, I'd probably tell them to clear off - but in my early 20s I didn't really have the gall to tell two pensioners to rack off. DON'T BE campaignerS LIKE DORIS AND REG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back