We are our own worst enemy.

Remove this Banner Ad

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
1 point loss to Brisbane. Throw away a 5 goal lead vs West Coast. And tonight's first half.

Sucks been a Crows fans right now.

This is referred to as thread premature e-speculation.

But yes, we all are our own worst enemies. Except for narcissists and psychopaths.

1 point loss to Brisbane. Throw away a 5 goal lead vs West Coast. And tonight's first half.

Sucks been a Crows fans right now.
Been inconsistent the entire year, you also forgot about the Geelong fold in 5 minutes end of Q4 when they kicked 4 goals and we lost by 4 goals at home, and also the end of Q3 and start of Q4 against North when they kicked 5 goals and we lost by 2 goals.
That's 4 games we could have won and now be 10-1 or at worst 9-2 instead of 6-5. We also nearly let the game against Port Power slip when we were 40+ points up.

Last edited:
Been inconsistent the entire year, you also forgot about the Geelong fold in 5 minutes end of Q4 when they kicked 4 goals and we lost by 4 goals at home, and also the end of Q3 and start of Q4 against North when they kicked 5 goals and we lost by 2 goals.
That's 4 games we could have won and now be 10-1 or at worst 9-2 instead of 6-5.
I think the Dees win was karma taking effect for all our recent close losses. Having said that, it was a true gutsy win when Sloane went down in the first half, and missing arguably our best midfielder. Sometimes it’s small wins like this that can make us go on to bigger things.

Another perspective - how many games have we lost because we were outplayed versus us underperforming ? I say in many cases it proves we are our own worst enemy.

Another perspective - how many games have we lost because we were outplayed versus us underperforming ? I say in many cases it proves we are our own worst enemy.
I find that the morning after drinking.

I think the Dees win was karma taking effect for all our recent close losses. Having said that, it was a true gutsy win when Sloane went down in the first half, and missing arguably our best midfielder. Sometimes it’s small wins like this that can make us go on to bigger things.
Down 1 rotation early in 27 degree didn't help as well given Seedsman was playing. But even the Port Power game when we lead by 40+ points, I thought we were a big chance to lose that when they got back to 12 points but we steady and kicked away again.
And we actually lost Sloane after 1 minute into the start of 2nd quarter, I thought it was 1.5 quarter, even bigger win by us.

Last edited:
We are in a transition phase. The club is gonna be inconsistent. Club needs to make some tough calls seasons end on certain players and certain coaches but I am excited about our talent on our list. Will only get better after trade and draft period. Next year will be better.

We are in a transition phase. The club is gonna be inconsistent. Club needs to make some tough calls seasons end on certain players and certain coaches but I am excited about our talent on our list. Will only get better after trade and draft period. Next year will be better.

I don't see better next year, I reckon we'll get worse. It's another year on a lot of this core, and they're struggling as is.

2021-2022 is what I'm excited for however, seeing by then we should have the next core truly up and running. 40+ games for Jones/Gallucci/McHenry (on top of the Crouches, Milera and some other unknown pieces) is a pretty tantalizing prospect as we'll go from a midfield that lacks explosiveness, and serious aggression to one that has it in spades.

I don't see better next year, I reckon we'll get worse. It's another year on a lot of this core, and they're struggling as is.

2021-2022 is what I'm excited for however, seeing by then we should have the next core truly up and running. 40+ games for Jones/Gallucci/McHenry (on top of the Crouches, Milera and some other unknown pieces) is a pretty tantalizing prospect as we'll go from a midfield that lacks explosiveness, and serious aggression to one that has it in spades.
I'm pretty bullish on the crows to improve next year. Not saying we will win the flag but I honestly can't see us going any worse than this year. Our style of play has been horrible this year and half the team is completely out of form. We need a massive off season and need to kill it through some smart moves trade and draft and list management but I feel our list will be in a very good shape by the start of 2021 season. This year and next is important to get games into the likes of Gallucci, Berg, Fogarty, Stengle, McAdam, McHenry, Jones, Davis, McPherson, Butts. Can't play everyone but If we can find 5 or 6 out of this group and get 30 to 40 games into them combined with a pretty good current nucleus we should be heading for success 2021 onwards. I see us where Geelong were at around 2 years ago. The turnaround can come quickly. Importantly we do need to find a better midfield mix/ruck and another key forward Imo.

Last edited:

I'm not coming back at you Murray and I know the very essence of football supporting is looking forward to better things, but for many many years now being a Crow means always looking forward to the next year. And often this begins to occur at mid season. I'm dispirited with the Club and would love to latch onto some heartening signs that the AFC is growing and strengthening with clear indications of achieving steps toward a goal. But there are few highlights and no consistency and so we revert to putting aside each season for the next. And so we roll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty bullish on the crows to improve next year. Not saying we will win the flag but I honestly can't see us going any worse than this year. Our style of play has been horrible this year and half the team is completely out of form. We need a massive off season and need to kill it through some smart moves trade and draft and list management but I feel our list will be in a very good shape by the start of 2021 season. This year and next is important to get games into the likes of Gallucci, Berg, Fogarty, Stengle, McAdam, McHenry, Jones, Davis, McPherson, Butts. Can't play everyone but If we can find 5 or 6 out of this group and get 30 to 40 games into them combined with a pretty good current nucleus we should be heading for success 2021 onwards. I see us where Geelong were at around 2 years ago. The turnaround can come quickly. Importantly we do need to find a better midfield mix/ruck and another key forward Imo.

Have you seen what mature players Geelong have brought in that are on their list

Danger
S Selwood
Stanley
Ablett
Tuohy
Kelly
Rohan
Henderson
Dahlhaus

How do you think they have remained so competitive

If you play youth you rebuild and it takes longer come on don't use Geelong as an example

Have you seen what mature players Geelong have brought in that are on their list

Danger
S Selwood
Stanley
Ablett
Tuohy
Kelly
Rohan
Henderson
Dahlhaus

How do you think they have remained so competitive

If you play youth you rebuild and it takes longer come on don't use Geelong as an example
Good selective recruiting + their drafting and development has been superior to our.

Good players not playing good

Laird and Smithers .....were always so reliable and we badly missed CEY and Lynch as we don’t have a CEY or Lynch version 2 on the list

Am hopeful of a half decent finish to the year but now everything has to go right

Its not really a youth based team now is it that is 9 mature age recruits that are all pushing for senior selection

Yet the Cats have 3 rising star nominations this year. We have 0 and have only trialled Jones and Davis in small supporting roles.

Yet the Cats have 3 rising star nominations this year. We have 0 and have only trialled Jones and Davis in small supporting roles.

Thr only reason youth goes well in a team is because the senior players are performing, they bring them into the game
We have played Davis Pohlkoke Jones EH this year but none could get a vote not their own fault they will rely heavy on performances from senior players and not the fringe ones but those that get paid the big bickies like Tex, Sloane, Gibbs, Betts , Talia those 5 in particular are the highest paid players in the club and posters whinge about Mackay and Douglas, wake up to yourselves , if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, the players that get the big bucks need to bring it every week or go get some high paid players that will, offer Grundy $1 million and sack tex or go after a high paid mid and sack Sloane.

If posters don't realise slagging off fringe players whilst your highest paid players aren't performing, they have no effing idea

Laird and Smithers .....were always so reliable and we badly missed CEY and Lynch as we don’t have a CEY or Lynch version 2 on the list

Am hopeful of a half decent finish to the year but now everything has to go right

Isn’t it a shame that we have been reduced to hoping for half-decent :/

But so be it. Looking forward to winning what we can and seeing what some of the kids have got, then reloading for next year

While obviously inexperienced, Davis was our Lynch replacement...yet we discarded him after one week. Disgraceful selection when the senior spuds are in the side. In any case, Davis can easily play even when Lynch returns. Sure he's raw but he's quick, great skill, good overhead, x-factor, and recently has added the versatility of pushing up successfully as a wingman....basically the antithesis of our current forward line. He should be in this team, no question.

Wilson is very similar to CEY, contested king...just that he kicks more than handballs from stoppage. If CEY isn't fit to play this week then Wilson should come in.

While obviously inexperienced, Davis was our Lynch replacement...yet we discarded him after one week. Disgraceful selection when the senior spuds are in the side. In any case, Davis can easily play even when Lynch returns. Sure he's raw but he's quick, great skill, good overhead, x-factor, and recently has added the versatility of pushing up successfully as a wingman....basically the antithesis of our current forward line. He should be in this team, no question.

Wilson is very similar to CEY, contested king...just that he kicks more than handballs from stoppage. If CEY isn't fit to play this week then Wilson should come in.
I hope you’re right
👍🏻

Remove this Banner Ad

Back