Unofficial Preview we are playing again this weekend against the premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzel (omitted) Hayward (inj) Fox (inj)
In Rose Thurlow
https://www.afl.com.au/news/teams
  • EMERGENCIES
  • 2 Daniel Menzel
  • 8 James Rowbottom
  • 33 Ryley Stoddart
  • 17 Darcy Cameron
SYDNEY has granted a reprieve to high-profile recruit Daniel Menzel after initially dropping him for Sunday's meeting with West Coast at the SCG.
In a late twist, the Swans changed their 22 on Friday afternoon after losing Will Hayward to an injury, bringing Menzel back into the line-up.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-07/teams-new-swan-dumped-mystery-surrounds-gun-eagle

Last edited:
Well if we assume that Hayward is out injured and Menzel is in, it makes for a very interesting line-up with some positional changes looking like they have to happen. So the team looks something like:

Rampe - Melican - Thurlow
Mills - Aliir - McVeigh
Florent - Parker - Lloyd
Menzel - Franklin - Dawson
Papley - Reid - McCartin
Sinclair - Hewett - Heeney

Clarke - O'Riordan - Rose - Blakey

Firstly, we've got 8 nominal defenders and we only ever play 7. Suggests someone is gonna be out of defence and up the ground. You'd think it's gotta be Lloyd or Mills. Lloyd has been playing a little higher up the ground by my eyes at times over the last month, still a defender but trying to push up closer to the wings than before, so that's possible and I'd like to see it personally because I think he's more dangerous on a wing. Or could it finally be the mythical Mills to the midfield change? They've brought Thurlow back in and presumably he'll play on one of their gun smalls so perhaps it's Mills who isn't needed down back. Given they have a bunch of gun smalls and gun talls and not many that Mills is a natural match up for.

As for Rose, I'm glad he's getting a shot but he's been playing well over the last few years in the NEAFL when he's played as a midfielder, not as a stay at home forward. So I wouldn't be surprised if he has another quiet game tbh. I just hope he gets a few weeks in the seniors rather than one week and out the next.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty - Big opportunity to get a W here.
Swans need to go out and attack this game for 4 quarters and let me enjoy a good old pint of Guinness on the high stool - Buddy to get 3+ goals and O'Riordan to be among the best

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Rose get a spot - he's deserved it on balance. Menzel deserved his demotion too. Shame about Hayward who came back into form last week. I'd rather have seen Stoddart into the team myself than Dan "the glacier" Menzel.

Good to see Rose get a spot - he's deserved it on balance. Menzel deserved his demotion too. Shame about Hayward who came back into form last week. I'd rather have seen Stoddart into the team myself than Dan "the glacier" Menzel.
Yeah ‘cos they play similar roles 🤔

I also encourage you to watch Menzel’s 2 chase down tackles (you know, when you run faster than the guy in front of you)...I’ll put my money on him over you in a race.

Who knows, maybe the AFL site has it right that Menzel was to be dropped?

I must say I prefer blokes to get a decent block to show what they can do. One game is not enough unless they really stunk it up.

We have had a number of players whose development may have been stymied by having just one game here and there.

Who knows, maybe the AFL site has it right that Menzel was to be dropped?

I must say I prefer blokes to get a decent block to show what they can do. One game is not enough unless they really stunk it up.

We have had a number of players whose development may have been stymied by having just one game here and there.
So the Swans website had it wrong?

Wasn’t Menzel named on the NEAFL bench for this week? Hopefully a bit of luck going his way and he can put in a performance such that he isn’t considered for omission next game.

Wasn’t Menzel named on the NEAFL bench for this week? Hopefully a bit of luck going his way and he can put in a performance such that he isn’t considered for omission next game.
Along with everyone else who was on the extended bench.

How does hayward get injured walking out of the team meeting
Come on, our guys get injured doing a wide array of non risky things, it’s our brand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back