Roast 6 from 17. Despite Momentum We are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY s**t - Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt very down after Saturday night's result with Port slicing us up with their precision and decision making and doubling our score, but after reading this morning's Advertiser I'm suddenly on top of the world.

Our rebuild is apparently going tremendously well and all we need is a bit more 'polish' to become a finals contender. Wow, I never knew we were that close and that 'polish' is so easy to add to a team. Look out all you crap teams blocking our way, Hawks, Rankineless Gold Coast, Port, Saints, Carlton, Dogs, were about to leap all of you into the finals next year, woohoo

Futures so bright, gotta wear shades :cool:
Issue is we've so far shown we're completely unable to draft polish, or unwilling to play it because we're so contest focused.

We had polish in Sholl sitting in the SANFL for 2/3 of the year.

I felt very down after Saturday night's result with Port slicing us up with their precision and decision making and doubling our score, but after reading this morning's Advertiser I'm suddenly on top of the world.

Our rebuild is apparently going tremendously well and all we need is a bit more 'polish' to become a finals contender. Wow, I never knew we were that close and that 'polish' is so easy to add to a team. Look out all you crap teams blocking our way, Hawks, Rankineless Gold Coast, Port, Saints, Carlton, Dogs, were about to leap all of you into the finals next year, woohoo

Futures so bright, gotta wear shades :cool:

So since Danger left we've had the opportunity for 21 reasonable draft picks (7 years 1sts, 2nds, 3rds) before any extra for the players traded out and deals with GWS.
Who actually gets close to measuring up to the pick taken in the first 3 rounds?
I'm being generous and going TT, Rachele, Fogarty, Doedee, Milera, Cook, Soligo, Berry, Worell, Schoenberg, Hamill, Taylor, McAdam, Gollant.

Seedsman and Dawson the only guys traded in during this time that have performed.

When you sit down and work out what size packet of chips we brought from the proceeds from Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron, Crouch, McGovern, Keath, Greenwood, Lyons etc etc etc its bloody horrifying Carlton like.

To burn through potentially 30 picks in 7 years and have just over a handful of potential A graders says this rebuild is going to take a prolonged period of time.

No question mark? There were lots of question marks about Rachele drop off this year after his great start. If you compare both of their first 5 games they were remarkably similar.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

First I’m hearing of ? over Rachele’s commitment/professionalism. Where did you hear this?

One thing that has cheesed me is Hamish and his pet project picks: Doedee, Jones, Greenwood come to mind. That's not to say that these guys aren't good to half decent players, but were they worth the draft pick they were selected with.
Also sick of hearing how player X is a "good citizen". How about we just pick good footballers?

46ti0b.gif
cat watching tv.gif

In the last 6 years where's our A grade superstar All Aust elite talent? there's a few maybes and possibles but nothing bona fide after 6/7 years... its damming stuff let's be honest.

In the last 6 years where's our A grade superstar All Aust elite talent? there's a few maybes and possibles but nothing bona fide after 6/7 years... its damming stuff let's be honest.
Dawson is elite if played in the right position on the wing. Rachele, Soligo, Berry, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Fogarty have potential to be elite and possible AA.

Dawson is elite if played in the right position on the wing. Rachele, Soligo, Berry, Thilthorpe, Rankine, Fogarty have potential to be elite and possible AA.

Yup all 'potentials' - next few years extremely telling given nothing before 2018 look even remotely promising of being AA worthy and elite.

After the way we were disrespected during the week you would have expected to see abit of heart and aggression. This club finds new ways to embarrass itself in this competition. Insipid, soft performance.

Rozee has more talent than all of our hacks from the 2018 draft combined. Hard to believe after the disastrous state of our list tat Ogilvie will be given anther chance this year to make a mess of it. A club with zero accountability - that's how we roll. I would swap our youngsters with Ports in a heartbeat.

Not only have we blown 1st round picks but we have drafted short people. Given the player profile of the list we are 5 drafts from winning finals (at best). Looking more an more like a Carlton, Melbourne 10+ year rebuild.

Forget Rankine, we need big bodied midfielders much, much more. Rankine is the icing, we desperately need the cake.

A club going nowhere. Will be bottom four again next year.
Hate to break it to you but bottom 4 again??.... Pretty sure we didn't finish in the bottom 4 this year.

Yes we missed on Rozee, and Hamish has stuffed it a bit we probably need a change there but it's clear as day we're improving and have been since we finished bottom

Hate to break it to you but bottom 4 again??.... Pretty sure we didn't finish in the bottom 4 this year.

Yes we missed on Rozee, and Hamish has stuffed it a bit we probably need a change there but it's clear as day we're improving and have been since we finished bottom

You are normally a sensible poster ams4

We won 4 games against witches hats (Norf/WC).

The 4 teams we finished 'above' all completely imploded. In fact - Essendon and GWS beat us.

A slightly tougher draw and only playing Norf/WC once would have really looked different.

Im not saying we haven't 'improved' but it was a pretty poor season lets be honest.

The 4 teams we finished 'above' all completely imploded. In fact - Essendon and GWS beat us.

A slightly tougher draw and only playing Norf/WC once would have really looked different.

Im not saying we haven't 'improved' but it was a pretty poor season lets be honest.
We showed some glimses for a quarter or two of what we can become but overall it was a fairly poor season except for the Richmond, dogs, powaa (early season,), carlton game. I think Nick's took too long to find the correct team to go forward with. He should have found that earlier in the season and he had some of our players in the wrong positions. We need a big offseason and trade period to spike to around 10-11 wins. Our skills need to improve and we need to get much better with our forward 50 entries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our issue is that once a player ascends best 22 status there is no pressure to go to another level. They know that it takes months of poor form to be dropped and if it actually happens, they need only one good SANFL game to be recalled. And quite often even no game sees them return.

Internally we encourage a self-satisfied culture.

Our issue is that once a player ascends best 22 status there is no pressure to go to another level. They know that it takes months of poor form to be dropped and if it actually happens, they need only one good SANFL game to be recalled. And quite often even no game sees them return.

Internally we encourage a self-satisfied culture.
We reward mediocrity. Exhibit A: David Mackay

its the crows culture

One thing that has cheesed me is Hamish and his pet project picks: Doedee, Jones, Greenwood come to mind. That's not to say that these guys aren't good to half decent players, but were they worth the draft pick they were selected with.
Also sick of hearing how player X is a "good citizen". How about we just pick good footballers?

Greenwood? Wasn't worth pick 48 in the Rookie Draft?

We reward mediocrity. Exhibit A: David Mackay

its the crows culture
If Mackay had held his consistent form and played on this year, would he have out performed Brodie Smith in 2022? Or even Tom Doedee?

These two are starting to have similar vibes to dmac (without the mad dog element)

If Mackay had held his consistent form and played on this year, would he have out performed Brodie Smith in 2022? Or even Tom Doedee?

These two are starting to have similar vibes to dmac (without the mad dog element)
Ease up.

How did you see the Hawks season?

Throw in Sloane and Tex until he started being in his final contract year. Might as well add ROB. Only really Laird and Keays of the senior contract secure guys played near their limits. It's what happens when senior players know their spot in the 22 isn't related to actual footy performance.

Greenwood? Wasn't worth pick 48 in the Rookie Draft?

Thought he was a cat b rookie
Greenwood probably not the best example, but you get my drift.
The other thing that gets me is how often we draft players that need development. Other teams seem to nail ready to go players, so why can't we? Rachele the exception obviously.

A related question is: do you think Doedee was worth the pick he was selected at? Looking at the players selected after him, I tend to think not.
There was a rumour that we picked him because another club "was interested". Maybe we were conned into blowing the pick.

Back