Roast 6 from 17. Despite Momentum We are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY s**t - Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t most clubs leave players in the twos longer than supporters think they should be. North have dropped JHF to the twos a couple of times - Elijah Hollands got his first game n round 19’ish, Sam Darcy made his debut last week , Ugle Hagan dropped all the time, Logan McDonald has been dropped a couple of times.

I think I’m general supporters underestimate how much players have to learn - running patterns , tactics, positioning etc as well as physical capabilities and coaches don’t necessarily want them learning this stuff on the big stage.

The longer Cook, Newchurch etc play twos (not too long) the more likely they will be ready to perform when they get the chance

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's a fine balance when to play a player. You don't want to play them too soon but you also don't want them wasting away in the sanfl when they are ready. Worrell should have played 15 games this year. Newchurch should have played at least a couple of games as well. Gollant looks like a player we need to be playing next year.

We won 3 out of our last 4 in 2020

Need to be careful of taking too much from late season fixtures when the cue isn’t always out the rack

i saw a headline where Nix apparently described the effort as finals like. Beating about the worst side ever at home by outplaying them in a quarter and a bit of footy. I recall Walsh being livid in the presser in his final game after a 2 goal away win against Brisbane. Nix would have had statues erected of his 22 after that outcome.

Yep I agree that's probably been the biggest disappointment overall for me (selection policy).

One thing I do think is that Nicks has displayed he learns, maybe he doesn't react as fast as we all want here but over year you look at guys like Brown, ROB, Crouch etc who we did all cry out for to be dropped and ultimately they all were at varying points in time. Again it's a shame it takes those extra weeks to act but at least eventually it comes. Another one is the Keays midfield role, he'd lost his impact, took too long to adjust but did eventually get there. Towards the end of the year he's certainly backed the younger guys in for more important roles. Football coaches in general over prioritise experience imo, definitely this element doesn't seem unique to our club or coach.

Certainly not saying he's perfect just that he does seem to be learning and improving to a certain extent. Whether it's enough ultimately in the long run only time will tell.

The one thing I think we should all get behind is that he has done a good job in rebuilding our culture & getting the playing group up most weeks to have a crack even if we aren't good enough. Even if he ultimately fails to take us forward as far as we like he's still done the thing we needed most at that point in time.

I'd have been very happy to see Newchurch get given a block of 3 games and just told to go show us what you've got without fear of being dropped. We dont as a club give our young kids enough opportunity regularly, doesn't seem to matter who is coach.

brown wasn't dropped.

I think we've given an enormous amount of opportunities to kids this year. That's got to have been a strength.

We dropped Brown and Crouch and saw Sloane and Seedsman lose the year to injury - and we didn't panic and pick more experience.

I know that fans would love see all the kids play, but it's hard to argue with how sincerely the club had committed to giving opportunities to youth.

brown wasn't dropped.

So we're a 6 points a game better side this year than last, both years with a bottom four draw, so similar level opposition.

So a side vying for top 4 would be plus 300-400 points. Last year we were -355 so we need about a 700 point turn around to be a genuine contender or roughly 30 points per game - so we made 20% progress this year with a younger list than last year - and by far the youngest least games played list in the comp. I would call that solid progress

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Absolutely cooked.

No pressure, no running just walking everywhere.

Rush hack kicks forced to get intercepted rinse repeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well and truly cooked in multiple departments. Delusion running rampant.
Despite what the club mouthpieces like to tell us we are light years away from contending. Just my opinion.

Well and truly cooked in multiple departments. Delusion running rampant.
Despite what the club mouthpieces like to tell us we are light years away from contending. Just my opinion.

Nicks needs to be sacked. Too defensive and lacks the ability to read the game and make tactical changes to give us the best chance of winning.

If you look at the year as a whole—we probably over performed by winning a couple games late in unlikely fashion.

Fact that we “over performed” to record we achieved is damning

Gonna be a rough 2023

If you look at the year as a whole—we probably over performed by winning a couple games late in unlikely fashion.

Gonna be a rough 2023

I think we will be better. I think we will be around the 10 games mark. The issue is coaching now. Nicks did the hard yard with culture but its time for a coach who can take us to the next level with a better understanding of game day coaching which Nicks has provided us with enough evidence he sorely lacks. I think we have the players to at least be better than what we show.

Gonna be a rough 2023
In terms of experience, we are going to be worst off especially if the form of Smith and Milera doesn't improved, ROB and Doedee are still inconsistent and Laird, Walker and McAdams a year older. But our rebuild will better with Rachele back, Taylor, Gollant and Newchurch getting more exposure and hopefully Rankine joining and also fitter Pedlar and Cook.

Back