Roast 6 from 17. Despite Momentum We are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY s**t - Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. Players are different from coaches and frankly, Rowie ducked up. Should have gone after Nicks with that questioning. Asking players to critique team mates is unfair.

Sloane is on the show to talk about the team. Rowe was as gentle as possible and simply asked him if he thought the mix was right. Sloane babbling about free kicks and young players elsewhere in the side was about as bad and dumb a response as one could imagine. He's meant to be the captain FFS. Turns out he was out of step with the coach in any case, probably as surprised as Crouch that he got dropped.

Lots of whinging about the drafting and rebuild here, some fair but most is dated.
The club has clearly taken a new direction since the review, and I want to offer done perspective.

Since Nicks was appointed in October 2019, he has been part of just three drafts, and this is what we should judge the team on. Why would we include the Pyke era in our assessment?

Even having said that, the 2019 period Nicks had less to do with, given the trade period finished before he started, and the trade nights just a month later.

So with less weight on the 2019 draft and very keen criticism of the 2020 and 2021 period, we can critique as follows:

Fischer
Schoenberg
Worrell
ROC
Gollant
Keays
Crocker

So while Fischer is not great, the balance of this draft was an improvement on previous drafts.

So since Nicks has directed the recruitment:

Thilthorpe
Pedlar
Cook
Berry
Rowe
Hately

Murray

I would say excellent

Rachelle
Soligo
Taylor Nankervis
Parnell

Again, excellent.

The difference between pre-Nicks and Nicks era is daylight, and suggests we are in the right path.

Stop talking about drafting McHenry etc, it's not relevant.

So drafting, we should give the rebuild a tick.

Coaching, well that's seperate issue.

Edit: Dawson in there somewhere too

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Have you benchmarked this against teams with similar draft hands over the same period? Otherwise how are you defining these outcomes as “excellent”?

that marion pizza hut was legendary back in the 80’s and 90’s.

first when there as a little kid with my parents.. it was sort of considered a real special night out back then..

then in the late teens went there on Tuesday nights I think it was.. for all you could eat.. one of the lads would stash a bag of goon in their pants and sneak that in to fill up the old plastic pizza hut cups with under the table..

you’d scoff down as much pizza as you could.. then regret it of course later when you felt shithouse after it and swear you wouldnt do it again.. but then you’d do it all again the very next Tuesday…

great times.
It was amazing how old you could get to and still claim the 12 years old and under deal. The reverse “Mc’lovin”.

Careful mate the Apricot Slice Brigade will be coming for you.

I posted a few weeks back the Sloane was our the worse AFC captain by a country mile, it was like I shot Bambi.

You could tell he was a poor leader by how the senior players performed in 2020, zero point zero buyin from them. Sloane should've pulled them into line. Normally there is a bounce with a new coach - not with our entitled senior cohort.

I've been saying that also. Worst captain since I started following the Crows in earnest (Around 2003/2004). I couldn't judge any of our captains in the 90s.

VB a close second.

Doedee would be of a similar ilk and thus a poor choice. I'm on the Dawson for captain train.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Glad to see , quite a few posters have stumbled upon the word, 'apologist ' , am I right in assuming thats the opposite of a whinger??.
Either way, I am sure there isn't a person on here that wouldn't like to see us winning more games. Yes , there have been some strange
selection choices for years now (and just who is part of this mysterious selection committee ) and yes, we undeniably squandered our window in 2017.
The reality is , we have to live with a few more years of pain, as far as I can see , we are still short at least 7 AFL above standard players. No need to run through the passengers as it has been discussed a thousand times. Unfortunately with a combination of poor draft choices (must be on the same contract as the umps, as they seem to be above scrutiny) and our continued desire to pay a fortune and extended contacts for substandard players, while allowing talent to waltz out the door for being so indignant to asked to be paid what they were worh ( inset players heres ......... ). Yes there is something crook in the selection process down there, it's almost as if we are 30yrs behind the 8 ball ala 97-98 ( hang about !!)

Unsung hero: How Steve McCrystal shaped the Crows for 26 years ...https://www.afc.com.au/news/1031462/mccrystal​

Anyway , it's pretty obvious far too many have been on the gravy train long after it has left the station (not to mention the quality of the 'locomotives ' back then ).

My point is , buckle up folks , because with the cattle we have, it aint gonna change for a while to come.

Glad to see , quite a few posters have stumbled upon the word, 'apologist ' , am I right in assuming thats the opposite of a whinger??.
Either way, I am sure there isn't a person on here that wouldn't like to see us winning more games. Yes , there have been some strange
selection choices for years now (and just who is part of this mysterious selection committee ) and yes, we undeniably squandered our window in 2017.
The reality is , we have to live with a few more years of pain, as far as I can see , we are still short at least 7 AFL above standard players. No need to run through the passengers as it has been discussed a thousand times. Unfortunately with a combination of poor draft choices (must be on the same contract as the umps, as they seem to be above scrutiny) and our continued desire to pay a fortune and extended contacts for substandard players, while allowing talent to waltz out the door for being so indignant to asked to be paid what they were worh ( inset players heres ......... ). Yes there is something crook in the selection process down there, it's almost as if we are 30yrs behind the 8 ball ala 97-98 ( hang about !!)

Unsung hero: How Steve McCrystal shaped the Crows for 26 years ...https://www.afc.com.au/news/1031462/mccrystal​

Anyway , it's pretty obvious far too many have been on the gravy train long after it has left the station (not to mention the quality of the 'locomotives ' back then ).

My point is , buckle up folks , because with the cattle we have, it aint gonna change for a while to come.
Depressing stuff for a guy with a Rodney Dangerfield avatar but you're probably accurate.

I am normally one to stick up for the club. Actually, I think the players we have arent too bad. Its the coach thats the issue.

Have you benchmarked this against teams with similar draft hands over the same period? Otherwise how are you defining these outcomes as “excellent”?
just the proportion of players who are best22 in this case, which is really high for the last drafts.

Clearly not a science, rating drafts is usually done by games played, brownlow votes, and at this level could be b&f votes or just games again.

There is always room for personal perspective for role players and weighting later draft picks vs expectations of higher draft picks

What we have here is Lobu with a shithouse opinion on what excellent drafting is.
Ok, a little offensive but I now know that you don't watch many games of AFL or the crows for that matter, and could not be overly aware of how the rebuild is going. I'm comfortable to save my time by assuming you have very little idea of how we are progressing beyond the win loss column.

SmartSelect_20220627-124824.jpg

Ok, a little offensive but I now know that you don't watch many games of AFL or the crows for that matter, and could not be overly aware of how the rebuild is going. I'm comfortable to save my time by assuming you have very little idea of how we are progressing beyond the win loss column.

View attachment 1434292

Oh dear. Someone thinks they’ve uncovered bombshell explosive evidence. It’s quite sad though that you think you need to try an catch me out.

First off, I go to home games, I’ve seen some of our away games in full, hell one was only the previous week, you even quoted it. I’ve seen parts of the other games so I’m sorry to break it to you Lo Blow, but what you’ve uncovered isn’t that exciting. Nice try though, even though it’s just a tad embarrassing for you.

How many players from these excellent drafts played on the weekend? How did they go?

Oh dear. Someone thinks they’ve uncovered bombshell explosive evidence. It’s quite sad though that you think you need to try an catch me out.

First off, I go to home games, I’ve seen some of our away games in full, hell one was only the previous week, you even quoted it. I’ve seen parts of the other games so I’m sorry to break it to you Lo Blow, but what you’ve uncovered isn’t that exciting. Nice try though, even though it’s just a tad embarrassing for you.

How many players from these excellent drafts played on the weekend? How did they go?

That's an awful lot of words to try to get around the fact that you don't watch away games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, not uncovered, you admit it!

For the record, 8 out of 12 played, Thilthorpe injured.

And I know why you asked how they went, you certainly didn't see it

That's an awful lot of words to try to get around the fact that you don't watch away games.
dont reacon you’d need to even watch our away games before you were able to form a valid opinion that we are s**t..

you could quite easily watch just our home games and simply look at the final scores of the away games knowing it is almost certain that we played shithouse. we consistantly do at the moment.

I mean.. its not like we are playing s**t football and getting flogged in our home games but then mysteriously playing finals quality football but just falling short in our away games is it.

even the two games we have won in the past few weeks have been absolute horror shows to watch.

Haha, not uncovered, you admit it!

For the record, 8 out of 12 played, Thilthorpe injured.

What did I admit? That I watched the Gold Coast game in full and parts of the other games? We’ve had 7 away games, I went to the Collingwood game, watched the Bulldogs and Gold Coast games. Meaning I’ve seen parts of the other four games. Plus I go to the home games. If you think that’s not enough to be able to gauge how the rebuild is going then well Lo Bu, I can’t help you.

8 of the 12 played, how did they go?

What did I admit? That I watched the Gold Coast game in full and parts of the other games? We’ve had 7 away games, I went to the Collingwood game, watched the Bulldogs and Gold Coast games. Meaning I’ve seen parts of the other four games. Plus I go to the home games. If you think that’s not enough to be able to gauge how the rebuild is going then well Lo Bu, I can’t help you.

8 of the 12 played, how did they go?

dont reacon you’d need to even watch our away games before you were able to form a valid opinion that we are s**t..

you could quite easily watch just our home games and simply look at the final scores of the away games knowing it is almost certain that we played shithouse. we consistantly do at the moment.

I mean.. its not like we are playing s**t football and getting flogged in our home games but then mysteriously playing finals quality football but just falling short in our away games is it.

even the two games we have won in the past few weeks have been absolute horror shows to watch.

This conversation really goes to me saying the last 2 drafts were excellent and while we are playing poorly I was saying the rebuild since Nicks took over is going well, just too early to see the results.

Unpopular with a small number of people on this board, a lot on this page, I know!

But if people don't watch much footy (half a game a week on average for Kramer) and want to disagree but don't know how many of those drafts played or how they went then, I don't have to rate their opinion.

I'm trying to separate the recruitment the past 2 years from our current performance. Current performance can be assessed by looking at the ladder, win-loss and percentage, but assessing the development of the so-called (and apparently contentiously-called) excellent drafting and recruitment of those under Nicks' watch, i.e. Berry, Soligo, Parnell, Murray, Rachelle, Hately, Rowe, Dawson, Thilthorpe can not be done without watching.

This conversation really goes to me saying the last 2 drafts were excellent and while we are playing poorly I was saying the rebuild since Nicks took over is going well, just too early to see the results.

Unpopular with a small number of people on this board, a lot on this page, I know!

But if people don't watch much footy (half a game a week on average for Kramer) and want to disagree but don't know how many of those drafts played or how they went then, I don't have to rate their opinion.

I'm trying to separate the recruitment the past 2 years from our current performance. Current performance can be assessed by looking at the ladder, win-loss and percentage, but assessing the development of the so-called (and apparently contentiously-called) excellent drafting and recruitment of those under Nicks' watch, i.e. Berry, Soligo, Parnell, Murray, Rachelle, Hately, Rowe, Dawson, Thilthorpe can not be done without watching.
Have I asked you to rate my opinion? I couldn’t give a toss whether you do or not, that would mean I give 2 shits about you.

I find it amusing that you post on here with some bizarre ranking of our drafts as excellent and are using that as a basis that the rebuild is going well. What’s more amusing though is you then cling to a post where I’ve said I haven’t watched an away game in full for awhile, except for 2 weeks ago (plus I watch home games) and rush over here to post it. I must have left a mark on you, “one day I’m going to get that GK, you just wait and see”.

But if you can’t form an opinion without seeing every minuted played, perhaps you need to ask why are you such a slow learner?

Have I asked you to rate my opinion? I couldn’t give a toss whether you do or not, that would mean I give 2 shits about you.

I find it amusing that you post on here with some bizarre ranking of our drafts as excellent and are using that as a basis that the rebuild is going well. What’s more amusing though is you then cling to a post where I’ve said I haven’t watched an away game in full for awhile, except for 2 weeks ago (plus I watch home games) and rush over here to post it. I must have left a mark on you, “one day I’m going to get that GK, you just wait and see”.

If you can’t form an opinion without seeing every minuted played, perhaps you need to ask why are you such a slow learner?

Haha, rushed over here! Such quality trolling!

Why do you rate our recruitment under Nicks so poorly? Or is it just average? Because you only watch half per game a week, so you don't really have a good measure. Average for us? Don't think so.

The 2021 draft and trade period looks excellent , outstanding even ….. couldn’t argue that fact

Hopeful re 2020 , not quite yet over the line

The 2016-19 years were poor all up

2021 is first time we’ve beaten Port in a draft/trade period for a while too ( I know it’s hard to judge with different picks )

I haven't seen too many people blaming our 2020 and 2021 drafts for us being really s**t. Pedlar is the only pick that looks a bit dodgy at this stage.

The 2014-2019 drafts on the other hand. We've not got a lot to show for those. Fogarty is starting to look like reaching his potential, along with Butts. Pretty much everyone else has either been traded/delisted or is underachieving at this stage.

Haha, rushed over here! Such quality trolling!

Why do you rate our recruitment under Nicks so poorly? Or is it just average? Because you only watch half per game a week, so you don't really have a good measure. Average for us? Don't think so.
12.29pm I posted it, 12.59pm you read it and posted it here. Seems to me thats a pretty quick turnaround and I am wondering why you even bothered, unless my disagreeing with your initial opinion meant that much to you?

As for trolling, you've repeated a number of times now I only watch half a game a week, thats inaccurate so why do you continue to troll?

I would say that its far too early to say that our drafting under Nicks has been excellent, only a fool would make such a comment so early into players careers especially with so few games played but it does look better than the previous s**t drafting.

12.29pm I posted it, 12.59pm you read it and posted it here. Seems to me thats a pretty quick turnaround and I am wondering why you even bothered, unless my disagreeing with your initial opinion meant that much to you?

As for trolling, you've repeated a number of times now I only watch half a game a week, thats inaccurate so why do you continue to troll?

I would say that its far too early to say that our drafting under Nicks has been excellent, only a fool would make such a comment so early into players careers especially with so few games played but it does look better than the previous s**t drafting.

OK, there's a few who would disagree that they are fools for believing 2021 was an excellent draft for us.

Oh, and watching a home game one week and not watching the away game the next, averages out to half a game per week. I'm just taking it from what you said. If you want to change that now, I don't blame you, and I'm happy to accept your clarification. You watch bits of the away games and go to the home games, so you watch 3/4 of a game a week.

Either way, it's less than 1. We can all agree on that.

OK, there's a few who would disagree that they are fools for believing 2021 was an excellent draft for us.

Oh, and watching a home game one week and not watching the away game the next, averages out to half a game per week. I'm just taking it from what you said. If you want to change that now, I don't blame you, and I'm happy to accept your clarification. You watch bits of the away games and go to the home games, so you watch 3/4 of a game a week.

Either way, it's less than 1. We can all agree on that.
You also called 2020 excellent, found many to agree with that? 2021 does look better than 2020 and I think we did very well but its still way to early to say if its excellent.

You made up 1/2 a game, I said a "full game". Plus I even said I watched the Gold Coast game in full, you quoted it. Plus I had watched others earlier in the season plus home games.

So you cant form an opinion watching 3 quarters of a game on average? Really? Or are you suggesting the bits I missed, all our draftees played really well, even those playing in the SANFL ;)

Last edited:
Ruh Roh!
Trouble in Adelaide are s**t paradise!
Some dissent appearing
A few disputing our drafting is crap - how dare they!!
My fave is ppl stressed we might finish above GWS / Hawks / Ess

Need a loss to get this place back to normal...

Back