'We are the racist blues'

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Oh dear. Carlton have been singing their club song to the theme of old blackface music this whole time. :$

“The song is one of the most racist of all time with the opening verse including the n-word and ‘coon’ and Carlton has adopted that music and propelled it into notoriety,” Dr Hagan said.

Lily of Laguna is said to be one of the greats coon songs ever,” he added.

“Coon song,” was a genre of music popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries that caricatured black people.

Dr Hagan said Carlton should keep the words but compose an entirely new tune that didn’t hark back to Lily of Laguna.

(Trigger warning: racial slurs)

It was black and white racism at Collingwood. The Carlton theme song does leave one feeling a little blue though. A minority may suffer side effects such as a red neck.

fu**ng hell, bro, this is a Lethality level thread that Lethality already made this morning

Good to see you so soon after last night 😇

Cricket B and F last night followed by footy today. Soz for having a life. And yes, took out the B grade champion player (thanks for asking). I would still put a pussy like you over the fence at 47 years of age. Come at me brah.

Cricket B and F last night followed by footy today. Soz for having a life. And yes, took out the B grade champion player (thanks for asking). I would still put a pussy like you over the fence at 47 years of age. Come at me brah.

Thank you, internet tough guy. I'm sure being parked at slips helped you get the coach's award 😍

Thank you, internet tough guy. I'm sure being parked at slips helped you get the coach's award 😍

Took a screamer in slips v Toongabbie this year. Only problem was it took a year to get up after taking it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you recycle a melody, but deliberately do not adopt the lyrics, is it fair to criticise the new lyrics because of the previous one which it replaced?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back