croady_fan24

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Panathinaikos.
HAWTHORN skipper Richie Vandenberg believes his side’s tough run into September will help them deal with the pressure-cooker situation that awaits them at Telstra Dome this weekend.
The Hawks meet a finals-hardened Adelaide Crows outfit on Saturday afternoon, and the loser of the elimination final can start planning their Mad Monday celebrations.
But Vandenberg is confident his men are equipped to deal with the finals intensity that will confront them at Telstra Dome, even if many of them will be playing their first finals.
“We’ve been playing mini-finals for the past five or six weeks as far as we’re concerned,” he said.
“So we think that the young guys have been somewhat prepared, albeit for the fact that most of them haven’t played in a finals game before.
“All in all, it’s mostly just going to be a great experience and the pressure that comes with it is something that these guys certainly won’t be able to predict what it’s going to do to them, but I’ve got good confidence that the group will be able to handle it.”
The Hawks captain acknowledged his team seemed to have gone from flag fancy to elimination final underdog in the space of a few days.
But he said he and his teammates were confident in their ability and knew they had what it took to match it with the competition’s elite.
“We’ve been under no illusions all year as to where as a group we feel we’re at,” he said.
“We went into last week confident we could beat Sydney but unfortunately for us we were unable to do that.
“But as a group we’ve shown over the course of the year that if we get our heads right we can bounce back very quickly the next week.
“The challenge for us now is to see what we can learn out of that game (against Sydney) and what we’re able to do about it over the course of the six days we’ve got to make sure we go out and approach Adelaide and put up a good performance.”
Saturday will mark the Hawks’ return to finals football after a six-year absence.
During that time there have been some low moments for the club, but Vandenberg said he had always remained hopeful that a quick turnaround was just around the corner.
“As a player, even when you’re in the years where you think ‘Gee, your back’s really up against it’, you still have in the back of your mind that hope that at any stage you could make it,” he said.
“All players at all clubs have that, and you need to have that hope to motivate you.
“It doesn’t surprise me at all with the group that we’ve got, and their approach to their footy over the past three years … It doesn’t surprise me at all that we’ve got this opportunity now.

Not if Richie turns over the ball as often as he did last weekend. In particular, I'm thinking of that dropped handpass early in the second quarter that provided the turnover for a Swans goal.

Yep, remember that distinctly. I remember we were actually starting to get the slightest run-on leading up to that moment. Enter the Captain....

And if I remember correctly again, that turnover led not to one, but an avalanche of Swans goals and sealed the entire game.

Sorry to bash, but that was piss-poor....

Probably this match has been set for Vanders to take ownership of his game more than any of the other captains in the history of the game.

He's no Hird, Buckley or Riccuto - he's Vanders - considered not good enough to wipe those players ********s by opposition supporters and his own, considered an embarrassment to be lining up with players of that ilk by his own supporters.

I'll back him to do well.

Vbergfan and Roddy, watching Vanders is the classic rollercoaster of emotion. I'm a huge fan of his, despite sometimes peeking thru the fingers covering my face, as I try to anticipate the outcome of his next disposal. I want him as Captain in '08. He is the epitome of genuine toughness, at only 178cm, and with Browny at 177cm, no team will play the mighty HAWTHORN without expecting bruises. The youngsters like Ellis, Young, Moss, Gibson, Suckling and Collins need to see that example as a pre-requisite of having their playing futures in the mighty BROWN and GOLD.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Vbergfan and Roddy, watching Vanders is the classic rollercoaster of emotion. I'm a huge fan of his, despite sometimes peeking thru the fingers covering my face, as I try to anticipate the outcome of his next disposal. I want him as Captain in '08. He is the epitome of genuine toughness, at only 178cm, and with Browny at 177cm, no team will play the mighty HAWTHORN without expecting bruises. The youngsters like Ellis, Young, Moss, Gibson, Suckling and Collins need to see that example as a pre-requisite of having their playing futures in the mighty BROWN and GOLD.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Everything the youngsters need to see is visible in Mitch, Hodge, Bateman, Brown, and Crawf. And it will become visible in Lewis, Birch, Rough etc. Everything you dont see in Vander (ie required skill level) is visible in the kids not in the side.
I'm only going to put up with it for the remainder of this year as he has done a good job and we are unexpectedly playing finals and as such he deserves a crack at that.
But he must move on or be moved on if we are to continue our rise.

it remains to be seen whether we can handle the pressure...

if we're not mentally ready to go this week then i'm going to be very dissapointed.

I also hope we dont come out overawed by the occasion and try and hit bodies... just play good hard running composed football. The quicker we settle into the game the better.

If they drop Richie Vandenberg, make Mitchell and Hodge Captains, I think that we can go all the way and win the flag!! :rolleyes:

Richie is not in our best 22, no matter how good his leadership skills alledgelly are! He would be a great captain at Box Hill though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn should make it a priority to ruffle some crow feathers early. Let them know that this game is different to the last one straight off the first bounce.:cool:

in most of our finals like games this year we lost most of them.....

the saints.. pressure, we lost

the swans.. pressue we lost twice

the crows.. pressure we lost

port.. pressure we lost, so be it just 5 points, but what if that was a final and we never put enough pressure on them..

the only finals like win we had was our win over brisbane....

richie has been our biggest turn king over since his return

he talks the talk lets see if he walks the walk..........

Vanders should show off his leadership skills tomorrow........ by withdrawing himself from the team!!

Agreed. He looked gone for all money last week. Can't afford those sloppy skills against a side who will put just as much physical pressure on the ball carrier as Sydney did.

I'd like to be confident, but I'm not. They're up, they know they're stronger than us, and they've won 8 out of their last 10 at Telstra Dome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back