Roast We cannot lose Neil Balme

Remove this Banner Ad

The industry has moved past him, he's obviously not senile. No it's just that modern business practice, KPIs, spreadsheets, feedback loops, meetings, stuff in writing, accountability, documentation etc has invaded footy like everywhere else.
Balmey's business manual, policy and procedures manual and all of the above...is in his head. Great back then, not so great now.
He should not be lost to footy. In fact his key strengths of calmness, strategy, mentoring and bullshitting the media are all still required.
Reckon you’re bang on that’s why the club had the sense to install Blair and livo into senior exec roles

At 69 youd think he wouldnt want to up and relocate again. hes starting to show his age, we will lose him in the next couple years i reckon but id think it would be to retirement
Crikey is he 69 ,,,and the crows are trying to lure him, ffs I’d believe the cats but crows cmon

The industry has moved past him, he's obviously not senile. No it's just that modern business practice, KPIs, spreadsheets, feedback loops, meetings, stuff in writing, accountability, documentation etc has invaded footy like everywhere else.
Balmey's business manual, policy and procedures manual and all of the above...is in his head. Great back then, not so great now.
He should not be lost to footy. In fact his key strengths of calmness, strategy, mentoring and bullshitting the media are all still required.

His still the best football operator by a country mile mate.Yeah kpis ,spreadsheets etc is now in fashion, but give me a smart footy operator then that crap any day of the week that's hands on .Livingstone and Blair were there to learn of Balme when he arrived so when he eventually goes they have the know how's and have stepped up now.

His still the best football operator by a country mile mate.Yeah kpis ,spreadsheets etc is now in fashion, but give me a smart footy operator then that crap any day of the week that's hands on .Livingstone and Blair were there to learn of Balme when he arrived so when he eventually goes they have the know how's and have stepped up now.
100% agree
I'm pretty sure those KPIs and spreadsheets were pretty popular in 2017 too, we weren't exactly in the dark ages that long ago

On what basis is he the best football operator? What does he do? What is his role?

On what basis is he the best football operator? What does he do? What is his role?

Mate a you serious ?.From the pies to the cats to us success follows him no one organises a football department like him.He allocates roles accordingly and gets everyone on same page.

On a lotta dough but wherever he goes it turns to gold. Won premierships at Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond. Strength has always been in building player relationships and culture. Whether his work is done at Richmond is yet to be seen but I would think his value would be in establishing the direction the club should go after the position it is now in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s official he’s moved on to Adelaide
Thanks for everything Balme no doubt he will be missed

I'm okay with this. He wasn't really making any of the decisions any more with us. Was just there to hold Hartley and Livo's hands while they took over. I'm assuming he won't be replaced, so we can use the extra soft cap on another need in the footy department.

I'm okay with this. He wasn't really making any of the decisions any more with us. Was just there to hold Hartley and Livo's hands while they took over. I'm assuming he won't be replaced, so we can use the extra soft cap on another need in the footy department.
Agree, past few seasons he’s had less of an active role and more just an old head for advice, Happy to see him move on to a new challenge and eventually transition into retirement

Will always be thankful for what he helped us achieve

Remove this Banner Ad

Back