Mega Thread We can't lose Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think that an AFL player would have minimal deductions. They wouldn't be paying travel expenses or staff uniforms. However an accountant would tell them to make substantial donations so that they can claim that back on tax.

I would think that a some of the pre taxed income would go into his Super so he doesn't have to worry about paying tax on that. Maybe also he is the owner of "Tom Scully pty ltd" that runs at a significant loss each year with all its business ventures & gets the club to pay him as a sub contractor through his ABN so everything becomes a profit/loss, (if the AFL allows that).*

*Everything I just mentioned may be incorrect. ;)

There would be an accountant that works with the club offering him loads of advice on how to get around the large amount of tax.

I would think that a some of the pre taxed income would go into his Super so he doesn't have to worry about paying tax on that. Maybe also he is the owner of "Tom Scully pty ltd" that runs at a significant loss each year with all its business ventures & gets the club to pay him as a sub contractor through his ABN so everything becomes a profit/loss, (if the AFL allows that).*

*Everything I just mentioned may be incorrect. ;)

There would be an accountant that works with the club offering him loads of advice on how to get around the large amount of tax.

I was thinking that, but he would have to make a real loss to be able to claim.
The super idea would be a good idea.

I know an AFL player personally who has been in the system for a fair period of time now. He doesn't look after any of his financial affairs, his manager does and I presume that would be the case for most of the players. His manager has set him up with 3 bank accounts. 1 for spending money, 1 for savings and 1 for his home loan.

Probably all incorrect ;) You also have no idea what he's doing with his money either which effects what he deducts. Probably not on his current wage but surely on his next years salary he starts to make some long term investments, say he buys a few negatively geared properties, deductions could then increase substantially

I think the news of the offer actually gives Scully some credibility in all this. He stated time and time again that no offer had been put to him by GWS and, with the news of a formal offer only this week, it shows him to be telling the truth. His manager is, and I admit this begrudgingly, just doing his job in trying to get the best offer for his client and as far as I can tell he has been up front and honest with the club. He didn't have to tell anyone of the offer but he did and this backed up his word that the club would be the first to know about it.
Tick. Haven't seen any of the "he's already signed" crew comment yet...

I agree with all of this. It's nice to have things out in the open now. Anyone have any idea what Trengove signed for? A large discrepancy causing friction between the two could be a potential concern.

Trengove signed for 3 years. He has already said he isn't worried at all about money and just wanted to play in premierships, something he believes he can do at the club. We won't have anything to worry about with Trengove, which will be nice for a change! ;)

I agree about the discrepancy factor although I trust the FD to have his contract structured to minimise the chance of not being able to re-sign others over the next few years.

Funny how the latest developments draw all kinds of responses.

It has put to bed those claims that Scully has already packed his bags for GWS. It shows that Tom and his management have been and will continue to be transparent and will weigh up both offers (Tom admitted this in is presser in March).

So it comes down to whether Scully wants to be a rich man and a loyal man; or a richer man and a mercenary. I like our chances, to quote Tom himself ''It goes back to your values. The Melbourne Football Club gave me an opportunity. I absolutely love the club. I love playing here and you can see where we're going. We're heading in the right direction, both on and off the field, and I want to be part of the future here.''

Despite these developments I see a thread with over 200 responses on the main board using Mike's claims as a basis for Tom committing to GWS. I don't get this. :confused:

Agree with a lot of the last couple of pages in that this backs up exactly what Tom and his management have been saying and all the conspiricy theorists haven't done what this article does: name credible sources, avoid speculation or opinions, try to look at a way to construe the known facts so that they fit an agenda.

Also like that they haven't told Tom any of the details, just that they've received an offer... just like they've been saying they would all along.

Just listening to SEN. Saying that since when does a manager annouce an offer, never, and that the deal has been done a while ago. Doesn't look good.

Ox just increased his prediction to 99 per cent, only because he hasn't seen the bit of paper.

I think the news of the offer actually gives Scully some credibility in all this. He stated time and time again that no offer had been put to him by GWS and, with the news of a formal offer only this week, it shows him to be telling the truth. His manager is, and I admit this begrudgingly, just doing his job in trying to get the best offer for his client and as far as I can tell he has been up front and honest with the club. He didn't have to tell anyone of the offer but he did and this backed up his word that the club would be the first to know about it.

I think our offer of 600k is (if it's true) an excellent offer and I'm happy with it as long as it means we can still re-sign other key players. If Scully leaves all that money and the club behind for a few extra quid up north in front of 12,000 clueless fans then so be it. You can't say the club didn't do it's best to keep him.

You win the innerwebs. :thumbsu:

Having thought about it today, I think he will probably go. Not suggesting he has already signed, but I believe he will take that offer.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Just listening to SEN. Saying that since when does a manager annouce an offer, never, and that the deal has been done a while ago. Doesn't look good.

Ox just increased his prediction to 99 per cent, only because he hasn't seen the bit of paper.

I loved the Ox as a footballer but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him with this stuff. The manager said from the start that any offer that came to him would also go straight to the club so we would be the first to know. Everyone in the media just wants to be sensationalist and make the big call. It's been no different all year.

If Scully stays and we are paying him no more than 600,000 over 4 years - which you can justify with an increased CBA and say it represents 450,000 for the next 2 years and 750,000 after that which isn't totally out of the ball park. Then that's a massive win.

If Scully leaves this it forces us to really look hard at ourselves and maybe might break the cycle of weakness we may well have been in for 40 or so years. Plus we'll get a good draft pick, everything will be ok! I'm kind of not too bad about it anymore.

So it comes down to whether Scully wants to be a rich man and a loyal man; or a richer man and a mercenary.

Is the emotive language necessary? As much as I'd like Scully to stay, if he turns down GWS offer he has rocks in his head!

Why should Scully show loyalty to MFC after the way they treated loyal players such as Junior, Robbo (and Bruce to a much lesser extent). There is nothing wrong with a player looking out for his own personal interests.

Is the emotive language necessary? As much as I'd like Scully to stay, if he turns down GWS offer he has rocks in his head!

Why should Scully show loyalty to MFC after the way they treated loyal players such as Junior, Robbo (and Bruce to a much lesser extent). There is nothing wrong with a player looking out for his own personal interests.
Why would he have rocks in his head? He's going to be very well paid if he stays put. Earning more next season than than the average Joe would earn in a decade. Our highest paid player most likely too. The handling of Junior was a mistake and DB has admitted that. As for the other 2, they were washed up and were cast aside for the good of the future of the club. Either way I don't really see the relevance.

There's looking after your personal interests, and then there's greed. Scully's welcome to do what he wants but if he does move it will be purely based on coin. Thanfully I think Scully has a good head on his shoulders and will make the right call. His partner in crime J. Trengove said earlier tonight "it's not all about the money boys." Obviously Matt Kreuzer, Dustin Martin et al are similarly inclined. Hopefully young Tom holds the same set of beliefs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manager didn't announce it to anyone. He passed it on to the club, someone leaked it to a journalist who followed it up with the manager. The manager then confirmed it to the journalist. This is how the media ought to work, rather than absurd speculation and hype for the sake of hype.

No one has, because there isn't one. Simple.

Why would he have rocks in his head? He's going to be very well paid if he stays put. Earning more next season than than the average Joe would earn in a decade.

Are you cereal?

He will be sacrificing millions of dollars to stay MFC. I love watching Scully play and would be thrilled if he stayed, but I would not begrudge him if he jumped ship. The money on offer is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and if he invests wisely he can ensure that he will never need to work again once he retires from playing. What 20yo would not be enticed by having the opportunity that would effectively set them up for life?

He has worked hard to put him in the position he is at today. He should be entitled to reap the rewards for all his hard work.

You just can't expect a player to turn down the kind of cash he is being offered. AFL is a tough sport, who knows how long a kid will last? I hope he does stay at the Dees, he's a future captain.

Are you cereal?

He will be sacrificing millions of dollars to stay MFC. I love watching Scully play and would be thrilled if he stayed, but I would not begrudge him if he jumped ship. The money on offer is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and if he invests wisely he can ensure that he will never need to work again once he retires from playing. What 20yo would not be enticed by having the opportunity that would effectively set them up for life?

He has worked hard to put him in the position he is at today. He should be entitled to reap the rewards for all his hard work.

I don't want to jump up and down about this as we are all entitled to an opinion on this and, really, none of us are wrong in terms of how we FEEL about it. I'm on the other side to you Boss, I'll be as shitty as I possibly can be at Tom because I love my club and want my players to be fiercely loyal to the cause. Yep, the money on offer is a once in a lifetime opportunity but he is hardly earning a pittance if he accepts 600k a year to stay at Melbourne. As far as I am concerned 600k a year would set me and anyone else up for life. If he leaves I'll be foaming at the mouth to boo the house down the first time he plays us! ;)

I'm on the other side to you Boss, I'll be as shitty as I possibly can be at Tom because I love my club and want my players to be fiercely loyal to the cause. ;)

But with the two new expansion teams and the introduction of free agency, loyalty is long gone. Every man for himself!

The Gold Coast recruits have already demonstrated this. Hell, you could argue that Luke Ball has shown there is no more loyalty to the club after all the maneuvering that was done to get drafted by Collingwood.

But with the two new expansion teams and the introduction of free agency, loyalty is long gone. Every man for himself!

The Gold Coast recruits have already demonstrated this. Hell, you could argue that Luke Ball has shown there is no more loyalty to the club after all the maneuvering that was done to get drafted by Collingwood.

I'd say the majority of players who left to GC were after greener pastures and the money helped them along. Ablett, Brennan, Bock, Brown etc had given years of service and decided to move on. Rischitelli was up for trade the year before and you couldn't begrudge him for moving on after that. Krakouer was a huge mistake and Harbrow may be the exception to that rule.

I don't think you can compare Luke Ball as he had a big falling out with Ross Lyon and he knew it was time to move on and he wanted to go to the Pies. Totally different to the Scully situation.

I'd like to think there is some loyalty left in the game and you only need to look at a guy like Jack Trengove to know it's still alive. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back