Mega Thread We can't lose Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to think there is some loyalty left in the game and you only need to look at a guy like Jack Trengove to know it's still alive. :thumbsu:

Let's see if he changes his tune in 12 months time when the rumours about his contract start to heat up. It's easy to sprout about how you want to remain at the club when you have 18 months left on your current deal.

IMO Trengove will stay, seems to be in a good situation for an interstate kid being able to play with all his school friends.

http://soundcloud.com/6pr-sport-central

Check out a relatively lengthy interview with Peter Blucher, Tom's manager.

I liked it. Sounded honest and doesn't shy away from the fact GWS are out there and circling, but stresses that no decision has been made, nor will it be made until the off season. Massive wrap for Tom's character and resilience too.

To me it sounds like Tom Scully is very much undecided on where his future lies. Funny how everyone else in the footy world seems to know what he'll do though!

Unfortunately it means another 8 weeks minimum of speculation, of which I won't be able to resist indulging in.

Also from The Age:

MELBOURNE would definitely be entitled to Gary Ablett-level special compensation were Tom Scully to accept Greater Western Sydney's written offer to join it on a lucrative, five-year deal, AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson confirmed yesterday.
Based on Scully's age, the size of his contract offer and his status as a No. 1 draft pick, Melbourne would qualify for exceptional compensation if he accepted the offer, believed to be worth close to $1 million a year for five years. The Demons would get two first-round draft picks, which could be used in any draft over the next five years, just as Geelong earned for losing Ablett.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/scully-worth-an-ablett-afl-20110712-1hc91.html#ixzz1Rts0lJUU

If it's all legal then I'm all for it. If it means he gets paid handsomely by the club but is also set up for many things outside of the club when his career finishes then that puts us in a great position to re-sign him.

It's legal. Carlton's was far more dodgy - Pratt as President of the club AND as President of VISY. Ours has no such obvious business connections between club and company.

These thrid party deal are nice, and i think we all knew they would come, and it is a great card for the MFC to have, although i strongly believe that it will ultimately be a proffessional decision from Tom

The money will end up being insignificant, it will be where Tom can be successful individually and in a team

Doesn't look like we'll be dicked too badly by Scully going, thank god.

It'll be back to the drawing board though, and being behind 2-3 years in the development of one of our marquee players though...

Doesn't look like we'll be dicked too badly by Scully going, thank god.

It'll be back to the drawing board though, and being behind 2-3 years in the development of one of our marquee players though...

Still better than going through this bloody circus every time Scully's contract is up for renewal. I don't care how many times certain members say it - it has been incredibly distracting for our club to have this media circus about Scully going all year. Yes, we all know he said he was leaving contract talks til the end of the year, but it doesn't change the fact that his stubborn adherence to that policy has not shown him to be a real Melbourne club man. For that reason, I'm happy for him to go and move on. It may even galvanise the other players for them to have one leave. I'd love to see a culture develop at Melbourne where there is real determination and passion for the jumper. I can imagine scenes, "ok Tom didn't want to be part of this, but we are going to stick together and really do something special with this group". Admittedly it's a romantic notion, but it's something that can be developed if handled the right way. It's important that we do channel his departure in a strong and positive way. If we don't it could leave a very empty feeling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the emotive language necessary? As much as I'd like Scully to stay, if he turns down GWS offer he has rocks in his head!

Why should Scully show loyalty to MFC after the way they treated loyal players such as Junior, Robbo (and Bruce to a much lesser extent). There is nothing wrong with a player looking out for his own personal interests.

Who signed Robbo to play for them?

Who signed Junior to play for them?

Bruce has really worked out well for the Hawks - I'd be massively shocked if he got another contract after this year

Melbourne FINALLY make the ruthless decisions that are needed to get ourselves back to the top, and all people do is bemoan the fact we've treated our players unfairly

Put Robbo in our side - take out Howe or Jurrah
Put Jnr back in our side - take out Jordie McKenzie or Gysberts
Put Bruce back in our side - take out Tapscott or Strauss
Put White back in our side - Mark Jamar can hand back his AA

Why can people not accept - all of these players were finished

Did anyone else hear Eddie fkwit Maguire on Triple M this morning?

Was bleating about Melbourne getting two compensation picks if Scully goes- claiming it''s grossly unfair and that we should only get one.

Seriously wtf is this guys problem with us? He is hellbent on Scully leaving us for bugger all. First to break the (now proven to be BS) story about Scully going and now this.

Go away Eddie you w***er.

Instead of 'compensating' Melbourne with two first round draft picks, why don't they just give them to GWS and let them take more great kids that they can develop over the next few years like every* other bloody club has too.

*Except GC who are also in the same boat.

Was bleating about Melbourne getting two compensation picks if Scully goes- claiming it''s grossly unfair and that we should only get one.

Seriously wtf is this guys problem with us? He is hellbent on Scully leaving us for bugger all. First to break the (now proven to be BS) story about Scully going and now this.

does anyone necessarily disagree with what he is saying?

if sculls is worth say 2 mid 1st rnd picks in next years draft, then what is thomas or pendles worth, not only were they high draft picks but there also premiership players, and top 5 b an fs and also still got plenty of years.. surely then they are worth 3-4 picks!

I am now 100% convinced that we should cut our loses with Tom, the figures we are rumored to be paying him a outrageous and would without a doubt cause disharmony within the group (whether the players publicly voice it or not)

I say that the two first round picks and run.

And for those who say we cant win a flag without him..

CLUBS HAVE BEEN WINNING FLAGS FOR 150 YEARS WITHOUT TOM SCULLY.

2Points:
1.Eddie (dog) Mcguire has about as much respect as Simon Overland.....meaning i would swerve to hit them in my car if they were on the road.
2.If there is no more Loyalty in afl then that means players arent playing for the club,junper,heritage and each other...ther playing for money and that is whats going to ruin the game.if 600K is not enough for a 20 year old....well TS can go an play for gws and i hope that patella gives hime hell.

does anyone necessarily disagree with what he is saying?

if sculls is worth say 2 mid 1st rnd picks in next years draft, then what is thomas or pendles worth, not only were they high draft picks but there also premiership players, and top 5 b an fs and also still got plenty of years.. surely then they are worth 3-4 picks!

Without opening up a huge can of worms again- Thomas and Pendles have spent 6-7 years at their clubs and won them a premiership (with another on the way). Collingwood have done very well out of these two and if one did leave Pies fans they can cry themselves to sleep in their 2010/11 premiers T-Shirts safe in the knowledge that they will also be adequately compensated.

My point is- why does Eddie keep flaming the Tom Scully situation at every opportunity? He started all the talk and he keeps poking at it anytime it looks like quietening down. Is he that worried about losing Thomas and/or Pendles? Does he fear/hate the Dees (highly unlikely)? Is it just a shameless grab at ratings? Eddie is a smart man and keeps bringing up Scully for a reason.

Scully's manager, Peter Blucher, said the Melbourne club had made an updated offer to keep Scully at the Demons 10 days ago. "It was a terrific offer, but in the best interests of my client, I went back to GWS," Blucher said. "They came back with a substantial counter-offer." Scully, 20, is in his second season of AFL football, having been taken by the Demons at No 1 in the 2009 draft.

interesting quote, basically saying that the melbourne offer is great and that he has done his JOB as a MANAGER and got a better deal somewere else, now its really up to scully to decide whether the idea of moving to sydney without family and friends, into afl obscurity, to play in front of hardly any people in a s**t hole is worth the extra 300-000 a season than it is to pull on a melbourne jumper in front of 50.000 and more fans for the oldest club in the land at the greatest stadium in the world with your junior footy mates

I am now 100% convinced that we should cut our loses with Tom, the figures we are rumored to be paying him a outrageous and would without a doubt cause disharmony within the group (whether the players publicly voice it or not)

I say that the two first round picks and run.

And for those who say we cant win a flag without him..

I disagree with the figures being outrageous. Any offer the club puts to Scully will have been carefully thought out and how it affects the playing group would have been paramount to this. We front loaded a lot of contracts to prepare for this and I have full faith in the FD to do the right thing. Sure, Scully wouldn't be getting this sort of money if GWS didn't exist but they do and, therefore, clubs will have to do a few different things with contracts to keep certain players.

And Eddie is a knob - any club in our position would want the best deal possible and he would be asking for a s**t load of stuff if anyone from the Pies left. He's a hypocrite.

Without opening up a huge can of worms again- Thomas and Pendles have spent 6-7 years at their clubs and won them a premiership (with another on the way). Collingwood have done very well out of these two and if one did leave Pies fans they can cry themselves to sleep in their 2010/11 premiers T-Shirts safe in the knowledge that they will also be adequately compensated.

My point is- why does Eddie keep flaming the Tom Scully situation at every opportunity? He started all the talk and he keeps poking at it anytime it looks like quietening down. Is he that worried about losing Thomas and/or Pendles? Does he fear/hate the Dees (highly unlikely)? Is it just a shameless grab at ratings? Eddie is a smart man and keeps bringing up Scully for a reason.

ok but did you actually listen to him? are you sure he wasnt just asked a question about it and then the papers took hold of it just because its eddie mcguire?

the point is he isnt wrong, pendles and thomas arent even 24 and have way more currency than sculls at the moment , if you started lists from scratch you could guarantee they would both go before sculls

I disagree with the figures being outrageous. Any offer the club puts to Scully will have been carefully thought out and how it affects the playing group would have been paramount to this. We front loaded a lot of contracts to prepare for this and I have full faith in the FD to do the right thing. Sure, Scully wouldn't be getting this sort of money if GWS didn't exist but they do and, therefore, clubs will have to do a few different things with contracts to keep certain players.

And Eddie is a knob - any club in our position would want the best deal possible and he would be asking for a s**t load of stuff if anyone from the Pies left. He's a hypocrite.

can i please remind people that jim stynes and cam schwab said melbourne had front loaded its contracts so that it could target a gun player in the trade period in yrs to come, at worst we lost that ability but still have enough money for everyone else

If I extrapolate on that reasoning then, why bother with anyone. How about the team is picked from the crowd ever week, just go to the cheer squad & put your hand up when Bailey calls for players.

You could say the same about every player in our team & Gary Ablett Snr & thousands of others, every team that has won a flag did so without guns that played for other teams. It is players like Scully that help you win a premiership. Then you have LRT who is a premiership player, go figure, let's go get 22 just like him.

I'll take my chances with a gun.

Edit: the 1000th post. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back