Mega Thread We can't lose Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
can i please remind people that jim stynes and cam schwab said melbourne had front loaded its contracts so that it could target a gun player in the trade period in yrs to come, at worst we lost that ability but still have enough money for everyone else

I distinctly recall Schwab saying in his interview last night that the club has front loaded contracts and only used 92.5% of the salary cap to make sure we could re-sign a lot of our younger players. Targeting a gun player in the trade period may have been part of it but that certainly wasn't the only reason. In fact to target a big player who demands big money (eg Mitch Clark) would be out of character for the club as a whole.

does anyone necessarily disagree with what he is saying?

if sculls is worth say 2 mid 1st rnd picks in next years draft, then what is thomas or pendles worth, not only were they high draft picks but there also premiership players, and top 5 b an fs and also still got plenty of years.. surely then they are worth 3-4 picks!

Mate it is simply comes down to how much gws will offer. if they are willing to pay any player (even brett peake) 1 million a year then the compensation must match the contract value. this is why we stand to get an equal compensation to what geelong got for ablett.

other factors come in to the equation such as age of the player. the younger the better for melbourne in this case.

my personal opinion is we should get a number pick 1 in return because thats what we used to get tom and the draft is only 2 years gone + a 1st round pick. geelong got ablett with a late second round pick remember.

ok but did you actually listen to him? are you sure he wasnt just asked a question about it and then the papers took hold of it just because its eddie mcguire?

the point is he isnt wrong, pendles and thomas arent even 24 and have way more currency than sculls at the moment , if you started lists from scratch you could guarantee they would both go before sculls

The topic was on their run sheet and he knew what he would be saying in advance.

I agree that Pendles and Thomas are currently better players than Scully- however that's not the point.

Melbourne made an investment in Scully with a number one draft pick, and (if he goes) will have have received 35 games from him, zero finals (maybe 1 if we're lucky) and 2 first round compensation draft picks.

Collingingwood invested pick 2 or 5 depending on who goes, and will have received (approx) 130 games, multiple finals appearances, (likely) 2 premierships and then 1-2 first round compensation draft picks.

Collingwood get by far the better deal.

If you had asked ANY Collingwood supporter at the end of 2007, after Pendles and Thomas had played 30 odd games, whether they would trade one or both of them for 1-2 first round picks and 2 premierships the answer would be an emphatic yes.

I know if we're considering talent alone the way I'm looking at things is flawed. But it's a flawed system that gotten Melbourne to this point so the shoe fits.

I think this is the first thread we've had hit 1k posts & need to be closed. :thumbsu:

Good to see some robust debate & passion as the club moves forward, whatever the outcome.

See the above post for a link to the new thread or just check the main board, I don't thinks this discussion will go quiet for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back