Autopsy We ******* did it again Richmond 2019 premiers!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

One of Dustin's greatest performances in finals.
Nine kicks, six goals, 14 disposals, basically all contested possessions.
Always thought the fifth goal was the best, the sixth goal is off the charts too.

Last edited:

As the 2016 season drew to a close Richmond fans had had enough – the club had been through some dark times since their last premiership in 1980, with the club only winning three finals in 36 years and many fans calling for coach Damian Hardwick to be sacked after finishing 13th to close out his seventh season in charge. After all that time Hardwick had managed three finals tilts, but it was because of no finals wins that fans had lost patience.
The Richmond board decided to give Hardwick one more crack to prove he was the right man for the job, a decision Richmond will be forever thankful of making. Two premierships in three years and a preliminary final has Richmond being a powerhouse once again in the AFL.
They clearly had talent on their list as they were good enough to finish fifth in 2013 and 2015, but couldn’t go on and win any finals. So just how did they put together a list that has been so dominant over the past three seasons?

Across both premierships they have 16 players as two-time premiership winners, meaning there were six changes from the first flag.
Out of the 28 premiership players 11 of them were taken in the first or second round of the draft by Richmond. Another five were acquired via trade, 12 were value picks late in the regular, preseason, rookie or midseason drafts and of course there was one free agent signing that the club made.

1573680398717.png

The draft has always been viewed as the best way to approach a rebuild and it is fair to say that’s what Richmond did – in 2009 then coach Terry Wallace only lasted until Round 11 before getting sacked and commencing their plan. They earned pick three in the 2009 draft after finishing 15th which landed them a kid by the name of Dustin Martin – perhaps the biggest part of all of this success.
In 2009 the Tigers had established players in Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin and Alex Rance who have now all played over 200 games, featured in multiple All Australians and collectively won a Brownlow, three Coleman Medals and a couple of premierships. Conveniently Riewoldt and Edwards were their first two picks in the 2006 draft and then Cotchin and Rance were the first two picked in 2007 – a massive tick to the Richmond recruiting team for these picks.

Across the drafts between 2010-2012 they brought in Bachar Houli, Brandon Ellis, Nick Vlastuin and Kamdyn McIntosh – all have now played over 140 games apart from McIntosh who has played 90. Suddenly the groundwork was done for the side to be competitive, and this helped propel Richmond to their first finals series since 2001 when they finished fifth in 2013 – but unfortunately lost the first elimination final to Carlton.

The 2014 draft for Richmond produced five premiership players, but strangely enough four of them were from the Rookie Draft and the other was Dan Butler who went with pick 67 in the National Draft. The other four players were Jayden Short, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert and Ivan Soldo – another big tick for the Richmond recruitment team to get such value from their rookie selections.
Across 2015 and 2016 the Tigers added Daniel Rioli, Nathan Broad, Shai Bolton and Jack Graham. By now Richmond were littered with young talent who have enough games under their belt to be competitive at senior level.
Across these years of hitting the draft quite heavily they had quietly picked up a few assets via trade. They traded for Shaun Grigg in 2010 – which turned out to be one of the biggest steals in trade history – and in 2016 they traded a third round pick for Toby Nankervis who had been starved of opportunity at his previous club.

After the horror show that was the 2016 season Richmond went out and traded for Dion Prestia and Josh Caddy, which raised a lot of eyebrows back then with the thought that these two wouldn’t fix the problems at Punt Road. Prestia had shown plenty at Gold Coast but the fact that Richmond parted ways with their pick six in the deal to land him is what had fans questioning the trade. Fast forward 12 months and nobody is questioning either of them again.
The playing list was there and internally the club was confident they were ready for success – off the field the membership numbers had risen to 75,000 members for the 2017 season. After five weeks the Tigers were 5-0 and their dynasty had begun. They won the flag in 2017, their members grew to 100,000 and all of a sudden everybody had forgotten that 12 months ago Damian Hardwick was a legitimate chance to be out of the job at Punt Road.

1573680557284.png

The 2018 season was a breeze for Richmond where they finished on top of the ladder and seemed certain to go back to back until their inexcusable performance in the preliminary final against Collingwood – despite being red hot favourites they were beaten comprehensively by 39 points. It was widely regarded as one of the biggest upsets in finals history and a complete waste of a dominant season for the Tigers.
In the off season Richmond made perhaps the biggest free agent signing since the practice entered the AFL when they landed then Gold Coast skipper Tom Lynch. Suddenly Richmond’s list got a whole lot better and despite plenty of injuries to key players throughout 2019 they managed to finish third. Fast forward a month and Richmond belt GWS by 89 points in the Grand final to win their second flag in three years – which could have easily been three out of three.

The four key moments leading up these three years of dominance has to be pointed towards the 2006 and 2007 AFL Draft, landing Dustin Martin in 2009, signing Tom Lynch after the 2018 preliminary final loss and keeping Damian Hardwick as the coach after the 2016 season.
With the current list still going strong there is no reason they can’t win it all again in 2020. They’ve added even more young talent that are sitting around that 50 game mark and the veterans hanging around still have a few more years left in them – not to mention they’ll add five-time All Australian Alex Rance back into the side after missing basically all of 2019 with an ACL injury.
The Tiger army is just warming up and they will be contending flags for a few more years yet.

So proud of Richmond. Every time I watch the GF replay we just look scarier and scarier. Next year could be huge. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but with what we produced this year with changes to our structure and injuries and general lack on continuity there is no reason we can't do it again just year with more consistency.

A little quirk i picked out with the two Knight premiership (2017 & 19) posters; both Tigers have 4 fingers on right hand and 5 on the left.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s true, I didn’t even notice until my daughter pointed it out to me a few weeks back, said that as an artist (very good at character drawing) it really annoyed the sh*t out of her lol.

Emma Murray was standing in a dark room at Punt Rd as Richmond’s players filed in.
It was two days before the Grand Final, and the club's mindfulness coach was about to conduct her biggest session of the year.

The players were spread out with Marlion Pickett lying down at the front of the room.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Sydney Stack with Marlion Pickett (right) at this year’s Grand Final Parade – a day after Pickett learned of his AFL debut. Pic: Getty Images
Sydney Stack with Marlion Pickett (right) at this year’s Grand Final Parade – a day after Pickett learned of his AFL debut. Pic: Getty Images
He was always at the front for group meditations.

Just as it was about to get underway, he received a tap on the shoulder from head of coaching Tim Livingstone.

The coaches needed a word, right now.

Pickett tiptoed back into the room a few minutes later and lay down as Murray went about getting the players’ minds ready for the grand final.

Murray, who was in her third year of working with Richmond, quickly realised Pickett was distracted.

“He was very restless and even at one point he took out his phone and looked at it quickly, which was not like Marlion, or like any of the boys, at all,” Murray said.

“At the end of the meditation I asked him how he was going and asked him ‘Are you going to catch any of the parade tomorrow?’

“He said ‘Yeah, I’m actually going to be in the parade, I was just told I’m playing’.”

A shocked Murray probed the player who had just learned he would be making his senior debut in a grand final about his emotions.

“I said to him ‘Oh my God, Marlion, how are you feeling?’ and he said ‘You know, it’s just another game bruz’,” she said.

Murray then asked him why he came back into the room after receiving such big news.

“You know, to finish what I started,” Pickett replied.

Murray knew the players had taken the club’s investment in mindfulness seriously, but even she was taken aback in that moment.

Emma Murray, Richmond’s mind coach, has had a big impact at Punt Road. Pic: Michael Klein
Emma Murray, Richmond’s mind coach, has had a big impact at Punt Road. Pic: Michael Klein
MURRAY’S METHODS

Murray all but lives on her phone.

Not because she is addicted to social media, but because her clients are predominantly young athletes for whom text messaging is their main form of communication.

During the AFL season Murray works with about 40 players on Richmond’s list.

That on top of clients from other sports mixed in with juggling four children equates to a busy life and a lot of screen time.

“The amount of work I do over text messages is unbelievable,” she laughed.

Murray was once a national under-21 netball player and an Australian Institute of Sport scholarship holder.

A string of injuries and her “mindset” held her back from reaching the top.

She went into coaching and picked up a book by legendary NBA coach Phil Jackson called Sacred Hoops.

It detailed how the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls used meditation and mindfulness in the 1990s to help them dominate for almost a decade.

The Bulls’ mindfulness coach was George Mumford, who was not a sport psychologist but rather the “bodyguard of their minds”.

Bulls legend Michael Jordan with Aussie teammate Luc Longley.
Bulls legend Michael Jordan with Aussie teammate Luc Longley.
Murray was fascinated and threw herself into mindfulness and meditation, back in a time when not too many people were talking about it.

“I had had access to sports psychology when I was at the AIS but that was something I never thought I needed,” she said.

“But here was something that was more based in an actual tool about being present and actually training the mind like it was a muscle.

“It really appealed to me; this concept that we train our body, and this team was training their minds.”

Murray became a qualified psychotherapist and clinical hypnotherapist, and then went about using her skills to help athletes.

She could relate to their struggles because she had been there before.

“Working consciously with a sport psychologist had never really helped me, but all of a sudden I had tools which could enable me to go into someone’s subconscious mind and change it around,” she said.

“Take out the files that weren’t working and put it in the files that were working, and I think to get to that level of elite work you’ve got plenty of files that are good but they get overridden by files that are not good.

“I really sit in that space of, ‘let me help you perform at your best’.

“This is not fluffy kumbaya, we just want them making the best decisions in that moment.”

Pickett slotted a memorable goal and starred in the big one. Pic: Getty Images
Pickett slotted a memorable goal and starred in the big one. Pic: Getty Images
THE TIGERS: IT STARTED WITH DYLAN GRIMES

At Punt Rd, it all started with just one client in 2016.

Defender Dylan Grimes felt like he was not realising his potential and needed something to help him reach the next level.

Hamstring injuries had become a recurring issue and he wanted answers.

He turned to Dan Richardson, Richmond’s then football general manager, who knew Murray’s husband, Nick, and was aware of Emma’s work.

Murray came in and Grimes achieved quick results in both body and mind.

“It’s not me, I’m not a magician,” Murray said.

“It was just stopping his subconscious mind from operating that file.”

The buzz quickly spread among the players, and by the start of 2017 she was on contract working with the entire list.

That year Richmond would win its first premiership since 1980.

Each week at Punt Rd, Murray meets with the team by positional lines and each group mentally reviews the previous game just played.

There is a second session later in the week that involves group meditation to help prepare their minds for their upcoming game.

Murray is in the rooms pre-game where she holds “visualisation meditations” with groups of players at a time.

At half-time, she is available for whoever needs her.

Maybe a player had committed a bad turnover that kept replaying in his mind and he needed to reset.

Murray would then go into the player’s subconscious and “pull out a file and put in a new one” before the start of the second half.

Dylan Grimes was the first Tiger to enlist the help of Murray. Pic: Getty Images
Dylan Grimes was the first Tiger to enlist the help of Murray. Pic: Getty Images
“There’s something really powerful in going into your subconscious mind, taking out that fear, replacing it with your strengths and ‘boom’, off you go,” she said.

Nothing is compulsory, but each year more and more Tigers have come to Murray’s work.

“This year it has been even more powerful again because you get less boys that are resistant,” she said.

“A lot of people are resistant because they don’t understand it, and what we don’t understand we fear.

“Dylan (Grimes) embraced it and then got quick results so it was easy for him to embrace it.

“But it’s very difficult to go into a team environment because mindfulness and mindset work is best when you’re seeking it out as an individual.”

Jack Riewoldt has previously said Murray was instrumental in turning the Tigers around at the end of 2016.

In Murray’s three years at the club, they’ve won two premierships.

“They’re unbelievable and I feel blessed to be a part of it,” she said.

“I feel like you could hold Richmond up among some of the world’s best businesses, like your Googles and your Legos and they would stack up.”

Richmond heavily invested in mindfulness by committing one of its most valuable resources – time.

“AFL is such a busy schedule, and what they do I don’t think people realise how hard it is to fit something like this into the schedule,” Murray said.

“When a coach and a leadership group and the sports performance head in Tim Livingstone see that this is valuable and they’re going to put time aside for it and actively listen and partake, everyone falls in line.

“I am absolutely aware that if that didn’t happen at Richmond, then I wouldn't be where I am.”

The big question now is will the Tigers be able to claim back-to-back premierships in 2020?

“They won’t be looking at ‘we have to win another one’, they’ll be looking at ‘how do we grow this season?’” Murray said.

Dustin Martin at todays family day at Punt Rd oval. Picture: Michael Klein.
Dustin Martin at todays family day at Punt Rd oval. Picture: Michael Klein.
WHAT IT DID FOR DUSTY

In 2016, the word about Murray reached the ears of Dustin Martin.

Grimes was the first to fully embrace her work, followed by Sam Lloyd, David Astbury and then ‘Dusty’.

Murray began working with an intrigued Martin, who took to her teachings and would later thank her in his on-stage speech when he won the Brownlow a year later.

“If you look at 2016, there was a point where Dusty started getting Brownlow votes,” Murray said.

“Not because of me but because he was starting to get a better handle on his attention and his focus and coming into the moment and stepping into his best.”

Today, Martin now meditates daily, is into yoga and has discovered a love of books.

“What is great about Dusty is that while this opened a little door for him, he has gone on his own journey,” Murray said.

“He’s very curious and very connected to that space and he goes seeking, he reads, he learns, he listens.

“Not just to me but to a whole lot of people.”

Scott McLaughlin is another top-level athlete to engage Murray’s services. Pic: AAP
Scott McLaughlin is another top-level athlete to engage Murray’s services. Pic: AAP
SCOTT McLAUGHLIN: ‘NOW I’M HOOKED’

The Supercars star revealed he was in a bad place when he first turned to Murray.

It was early last year, just months after a mistake in the final laps of the last race of the season cost him his maiden championship.

That loss left the Ford Mustang pilot with a lot of emotional baggage and those close to him knew it.

Riewoldt is a mate of McLaughlin and he was quick to refer him to Murray.

“He (Riewoldt) said she (Murray) had turned the Tigers around – they’d just won the 2017 premiership after being down the ladder the year before – and how she’d helped make that happen,” McLaughlin wrote in his book ‘Road to Redemption’.

They began working together, which involved a “brutal” reliving of everything that happened in that final round in Newcastle.

Every lap, every radio communication, the positives of the weekend and the negatives were all spoken about in depth.

It made him angry at times, but the process finally allowed him to move on.

They continue to work closely to this day.

MORE NEWS:

Dusty and Serena’s Maldives match-up

Goddard’s ruck rankings: Which club has Grundy 2.0?

Which delisted players are training at your club?

“Emma wants to speak to your brain – to set it up so it has triggers that immediately click into action,” McLaughlin wrote.

“I know what you’re thinking reading this – this is complete and utter bulls--t — and I used to be exactly the same. But now I’m hooked.”

McLaughlin has been almost untouchable since he started working with Murray, winning the 2018 championship, this year’s Bathurst 1000 and has just clinched back-to-back titles.

“Scott does the work, and then what I effectively do is say, ‘let me just remove the roadblocks that are going to trip you up’,” Murray said.

That’s true, I didn’t even notice until my daughter pointed it out to me a few weeks back, said that as an artist (very good at character drawing) it really annoyed the sh*t out of her lol.
*! It's going to annoy me now!

Saw it the first time I saw the Poster...
I scrutinise those GF Posters to death! Just put it down to artistic license or that the Tigers had lost a claw nail in the oppo! ;) :D

Saw it the first time I saw the Poster...
I scrutinise those GF Posters to death! Just put it down to artistic license or that the Tigers had lost a claw nail in the oppo! ;) :D
Or it's a ninthmond joke in hiding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So proud of Richmond. Every time I watch the GF replay we just look scarier and scarier. Next year could be huge. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but with what we produced this year with changes to our structure and injuries and general lack on continuity there is no reason we can't do it again just year with more consistency.

We want to do it again.

If Richmond go back to back the feelings will be so much better,

Coming from the drought we have come from I have good feelings about our drive and hunger!!

I am not satisfied with two. I want more!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

One of Dustin's greatest performances in finals.
Nine kicks, six goals, 14 disposals, basically all contested possessions.
Always thought the fifth goal was the best, the sixth goal is off the charts too.

4th is my fav, reads the contest perfectly and chucks it on his left for good measure

We want to do it again.

Coming from the drought we have come from I have good feelings about our drive and hunger!!
So do I. Obviously things could go any number of ways, but I just feel like we still have a lot more growth in us. Coupled with the hunger and a solid, team building preseason we could achieve anything.

So do I. Obviously things could go any number of ways, but I just feel like we still have a lot more growth in us. Coupled with the hunger and a solid, team building preseason we could achieve anything.

I feel even though is good, for many supporters, especially the old timers, its still unfinished business.

I think the players hopefully will want the joy bad enough again.

So I think the team has the environment to stay focused and push on again in 2020

I feel even though is good, for many supporters, especially the old timers, its still unfinished business.

I think the players hopefully will want the joy bad enough again.

So I thing the team has the environment to stay focused and push on again in 2020
Haha I can imagine. It feels like the business is just beginning for those that weren't lucky enough to witness tiger flags Pre '17.

Was just looking back at emails I sent as part of an email group that I was part of before I joined BigFooty.

this is what I wrote after Round 1 2017. I think I underestimated just howgood the next 3 years were going to be:

——-

The way I see it:

- third highest score of the round, and our highest score for more than a year. Surely that points to a much more attacking, enjoyable style this year?
- third lowest points against. Although it looked like Carlton were scoring freely, perhaps not.
- Dustin Martin. Was scoring in the first quarter and in the last.
- Weirdly, Conca showed some promise.
- Ellis relegated to a minor half-back role which suits him.
- Highest tackling team of the round. Weird. (For comparison, last year round 1 we had 60 tackles, this year we had 88).
- Tackles inside 50? Last year, 4. This year, 23! That was also the highest for the round, the second being Hawthorn on 19 (next was West Coast).

So, a significantly different type of team from last year. Hardwick seems to finally be getting the team he's always wanted (lots of forward 50 pressure). Good early signs, but of course a massive test this week.

I see everyone's holding back their enthusiasm, waiting with bated breath for this week's performance. On round 1 stats, we should be anticipating an exciting season.

——-

Pretty good huh? Ok, Conca was wishful thinking...

We want to do it again.
I am not satisfied with two. I want more!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
How accurate are those 'good feelings' of yours then..?!? :think:

Dustin's fifth goal is amazing simply because he is running away from the goals.
One of the great performances.
Certainly, our best player since the 1973, 1974 consecutive premierships.
He has another five years in the contract, then extend a further two, to age 35.
Seven years.
We seem to play best each second year, odd numbered year.
We could well win another three premierships and thus equal our golden era of five premierships, maybe even surpass.
A new golden era.

Dustin's fifth goal is amazing simply because he is running away from the goals.
One of the great performances.
Certainly, our best player since the 1973, 1974 consecutive premierships.
He has another five years in the contract, then extend a further two, to age 35.
Seven years.
We seem to play best each second year, odd numbered year.
We could well win another three premierships and thus equal our golden era of five premierships, maybe even surpass.
A new golden era.
Me waters are confirming 5 GFs... ;) :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back