Autopsy We ******* did it get around us boys!! off to a PRELIM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care if the frees were soft, they were there and easily avoidable. I mean * for the first one he literally elbowed Buddy in the back. I don't care if Franklin put a bottle's worth of mayo on it, there was no good reason to do that.
I've never taken a blow to the kidneys but I know the pain. Suppose May got him in the "sweet" spot, the reaction just might have been genuine?

I've never taken a blow to the kidneys but I know the pain. Suppose May got him in the "sweet" spot, the reaction just might have been genuine?
If Ginnivan or Weightman had reacted like that, the outcry would be enormous.

Yes it was gamesmanship & Buddy took advantage of whistle happy umpires with absolutely no game sense. But it still feels a bit wrong to me.

Not sure why we should care?

Goodes was an actor plenty of times when he got older.
Took Hewett like 3 years to stop ducking his head.

We never had problems with them before but now that Franklin is doing it we should be mad at our own players?

Not sure why we should care?

Goodes was an actor plenty of times when he got older.
Took Hewett like 3 years to stop ducking his head.

We never had problems with them before but now that Franklin is doing it we should be mad at our own players?
Not mad at him. It's embarrassing but as you say lots do it, including our own. I'm saying the incidents on Friday night shouldn't be used as criticisms of May's game. He did nothing wrong, Buddy acted, umpires fell for it. May was insurmountable.

Thinking about the only so-called blemishes against his performance, I think Steven May played THE flawless key defender game. That unsaved goal ^ I don't think it's humanly possible for him to have done more, and the frees against him to Buddy were, IMO, rubbish, and were embarrassing for Buddy. (I love Bud, but if we're gonna give guys like Ginnivan and Weightman s**t for flopping, then Buddy is fair game.)

This on the heels of Max Gawn's ridiculous ruck game back in round 12.

WTF is it with this mob and pulling out all-time great individual performances against us?

it's not helping them much

Stephen May did not play a flawless game because he got sucked into Buddy's antics and it cost them a massive momentum swinging goal. He dominated in every other moment of play but that was a major blemish
Also May zoned off Reid and cost two goals. Flawless rubbish.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

May allowed himself to be conned by Buddy’s antagonism right from the declined handshake.
The best defence in the league conceded 35% more than their season average in their biggest game of the year while supposedly BOG May was off measuring dicks with Bud.
Surely a bit of a blow to Buddy’s ego but I’m sure he wouldn’t have been down on himself for too long given the end result.

Love to meet the Dees in the Granny just to watch how that sequel pans out.

Don't know why people are getting up in arms about how good May was, if he had swapped he would be worth around 3 goals.

Oliver had an even better game imo and was probably worth around 4 goals including his own 2.

Despite some of there best players having incredible games, despite Melbourne showing their centre bounce dominance in the third quarter, looking like shades of last year, despite their pressure and experience, we still beat them by 4 goals.

Wow

Don't know why people are getting up in arms about how good May was, if he had swapped he would be worth around 3 goals.

Oliver had an even better game imo and was probably worth around 4 goals including his own 2.

Despite some of there best players having incredible games, despite Melbourne showing their centre bounce dominance in the third quarter, looking like shades of last year, despite their pressure and experience, we still beat them by 4 goals.

Wow
I didn’t think May was that influential beyond the 1st quarter. Effective at stifling Buddy, yeah, but he didn’t really influence the result of the game when it was there for the taking. I was surprised he got the full 10 votes…clearly I am no expert!!

Wow
Olivers 2 were gifted goals

If Ginnivan or Weightman had reacted like that, the outcry would be enormous.

Yes it was gamesmanship & Buddy took advantage of whistle happy umpires with absolutely no game sense. But it still feels a bit wrong to me.

Completely different diving in the olympics to reacting to an unexpected hit in the kidney area.

People are being very harsh on Buddy. He doesn’t have consistent form like the others you mention.

May got sucked in to the niggle and took it too far. Can’t blame umpiring for trying to stamp out cheap shots.

They evened it up with a much softer free his way for a genuine battle of strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-watch:
1st Quarter: Gulden kick then Clarke handball to Buddy who taps it down to Heeney straight onto his chest who takes a shot....1 point but damn! that would have been an epic goal.

Also beginning to think our spoiling instead of going for the intercept might have been deliberate.
Need another bloody angle to that Petracca tackle on Buddy

Last edited:
Re-watch:
1st Quarter: Gulden kick then Clarke handball to Buddy who taps it down to Heeney straight onto his chest who takes a shot....1 point but damn! that would have been an epic goal.

Also beginning to think our spoiling instead of going for the intercept might have been deliberate.
Need another bloody angle to that Petracca tackle on Buddy
Re-watched it last night:
God damn i know it got talked about alot, but our pressure was immense. They were even on contested and uncontested possessions. Thats huge. We pressured them into making a mistake every single time they got the ball almost.

Re-watched it last night:
God damn i know it got talked about alot, but our pressure was immense. They were even on contested and uncontested possessions. Thats huge. We pressured them into making a mistake every single time they got the ball almost.
Did Lloyd come up further this game. Was almost like he swapped with Blakey.

I agree Ticky. We want to bring it to ground ASAP so our crumbers can get and go. Every time there's a ball going to a pack, we hold our position around the pack and wait for the chaos ball to spill out to one of our players advantage. Taking the intercept mark gives the opposition time to fan out and man up to cut off any quick breaks for us.

I think our ability to bring the ball to ground in contests is also why our bombing is more effective than other teams.

I agree Ticky. We want to bring it to ground ASAP so our crumbers can get and go. Every time there's a ball going to a pack, we hold our position around the pack and wait for the chaos ball to spill out to one of our players advantage. Taking the intercept mark gives the opposition time to fan out and man up to cut off any quick breaks for us.

I think our ability to bring the ball to ground in contests is also why our bombing is more effective than other teams.
Yeah. Did laugh at the Sydney have taken no intercepts ....cause we didn't want to!

It’s sort of fascinating to think that unless Fremantle wins the flag, the last 20 premierships will have been won by a total of 10 teams with a lot of them having 2-3 flags in that time. In an 18 team competition that’s quite a monopoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you can't count St Kilda as it doesn't happen

It’s sort of fascinating to think that unless Fremantle wins the flag, the last 20 premierships will have been won by a total of 10 teams with a lot of them having 2-3 flags in that time. In an 18 team competition that’s quite a monopoly.

Is that unusual though? I would have thought if you randomly generated the outcomes you'd get something pretty similar to that?

2 of those 18 teams didn't exist for the first decade or more of that.

North, Bombers, Crows, Eagles all won 2 flags from 1990-2000. The 80s were pretty much shared between 3 teams (Hawks, Blues, Bombers).

Is that unusual though? I would have thought if you randomly generated the outcomes you'd get something pretty similar to that?

I suppose I should have clarified that the monopoly was more about 4-5 teams seemingly have owned grand final appearances/flags over that time.

I suppose I should have clarified that the monopoly was more about 4-5 teams seemingly have owned grand final appearances/flags over that time.

Another interesting fact is that from 2015 to 2021, only 4 teams failed to make a Prelim:

Carlton
St Kilda
Gold Coast
Essendon

I'm not for one second saying there aren't some inequalities, but most clubs get opportunities to make it to the big dance, and some just can't crack it.

Another interesting fact is that from 2015 to 2021, only 4 teams failed to make a Prelim:

Carlton
St Kilda
Gold Coast
Essendon

I'm not for one second saying there aren't some inequalities, but most clubs get opportunities to make it to the big dance, and some just can't crack it.

That’s an insane statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back