Autopsy We ******* did it get around us boys!! off to a PRELIM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s sort of fascinating to think that unless Fremantle wins the flag, the last 20 premierships will have been won by a total of 10 teams with a lot of them having 2-3 flags in that time. In an 18 team competition that’s quite a monopoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we flip each year's GF winner:

2001: Essendon
2002: Collingwood
2003: Collingwood
2004: Brisbane
2005: Eagles
2006: Sydney
2007: Port
2008 Geelong
2009: Saints
2010: Saints
2011: Collingwood
2012: Hawthorn
2013: Freo
2014: Sydney
2015: Eagles
2016: Sydney
2017: Crows
2018: Collingwood
2019: GWS
2020: Geelong
2021: Bulldogs

You get 13 different winners in 21 years as opposed to 10

2008 Geelong

I find that general discussion offensive with the thought of St Scum winning 2

I'm torn between Hawks only getting 1, but Pies getting 4. We win 3, but also the Crows have a flag this century.

I'd have to take the 3 flags for us, but there's some pain there. I'm not old enough to remember Hawks fans being obnoxious other than the 3-peat, so didn't mind them until that.

Why can't St. Kilda supporters swim at the beach?

Because you can't swim between 1 flag

It’s sort of fascinating to think that unless Fremantle wins the flag, the last 20 premierships will have been won by a total of 10 teams with a lot of them having 2-3 flags in that time. In an 18 team competition that’s quite a monopoly.

Not compared to some of the soccer comps overseas where its shared between like 4 teams.
Scottish comp is even worse, all Celtic & Rangers and bugger all else anyone getting a chance.

1 more day until we find who our prelim opponent is
2 more weeks today until the GF parade
3 more days until prelim final tickets on sale
4 weeks ago - that glorious Pies defeat
5 years ago a forward name Tom McCartin joined us
6 years ago the biggest crime in AFL history occurred in broad daylight on the G
7 years ago Callum Mills became a Swan
8 days until we confirm we're in the 2022 GF
9 mornings to go until I have a huge hangover
10 wins a row required - 8 down and only 2 to go until another 'HERE IT IS !!' moment.

Not compared to some of the soccer comps overseas where its shared between like 4 teams.
Scottish comp is even worse, all Celtic & Rangers and bugger all else anyone getting a chance.
In one of the local leagues in SE SA, the KNTFL (which contains Lucindale, Gould's local club), a team (Mundulla) won 7 in a row from '94-00, then a couple more in 02, 04. They've won the last 3 too, but are currently languishing in 3rd with Lucindale on top.

Probably didn't mean much, but they were also one of the smallest towns in the league (~450 compared to the biggest 6,000).

7 in a row probably not even close to some records out there.

In one of the local leagues in SE SA, the KNTFL (which contains Lucindale, Gould's local club), a team (Mundulla) won 7 in a row from '94-00, then a couple more in 02, 04. They've won the last 3 too, but are currently languishing in 3rd with Lucindale on top.

Probably didn't mean much, but they were also one of the smallest towns in the league (~450 compared to the biggest 6,000).

7 in a row probably not even close to some records out there.

rugby league fans would know, and most others probably do too ... but st george won 11 straight premierships in the 50s and 60s ... i grew up in a league area in a south sydney family, and that was something you learned like your times tables in early school ...
but i've come to realise, even in a different era, what an achievement that must've been

rugby league fans would know, and most others probably do too ... but st george won 11 straight premierships in the 50s and 60s ... i grew up in a league area in a south sydney family, and that was something you learned like your times tables in early school ...
but i've come to realise, even in a different era, what an achievement that must've been
Hopefully their club colours make that a good omen.

Melbourne’s loss really hammers home that you need to take your opportunity when it comes. They were red hot favorites after their 10-0 start, you could barely find anyone willing to tip against them and in the end they didn’t win one final from second place and it appears as though they’ve been worked out.

I’ve seen some people say it’s ok if we lose because we’re in a window and that may be true, but the only opportunity that we definitely have is this one. This year. The Bulldogs and the Demons are perfect examples of what missing your opportunity can look like and while they could both be top 4 next season the rest of the competition catches up fast and suddenly you’re just in the mix if you’re lucky.

I’m not even sure of the direction of this comment but all we have is right now and I am hoping that we take this moment with both hands.

Melbourne’s loss really hammers home that you need to take your opportunity when it comes. They were red hot favorites after their 10-0 start, you could barely find anyone willing to tip against them and in the end they didn’t win one final from second place and it appears as though they’ve been worked out.

I’ve seen some people say it’s ok if we lose because we’re in a window and that may be true, but the only opportunity that we definitely have is this one. This year. The Bulldogs and the Demons are perfect examples of what missing your opportunity can look like and while they could both be top 4 next season the rest of the competition catches up fast and suddenly you’re just in the mix if you’re lucky.

I’m not even sure of the direction of this comment but all we have is right now and I am hoping that we take this moment with both hands.

I prefer this to all the talk about the Grand Final and how amazing this and amazing that. One game at a time and all that matters is the upcoming prelim. However, most Swans supporters will be tuning in tonight knowing there is still plenty to do.

I also don’t know where I’m going with this comment but yours at least spoke well to me about taking our chance now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon finishing bottom 4 in 2019 & 2020 has firmly entrenched within the playing group the knowledge of just how hard it is to make finals.
I reckon last years early exit from finals has fully entrenched within the playing group the knowledge of just how hard it is to win finals.
We've all heard Horse say this over and over. We've all heard Horse (and the players) say 'one week at a time' over and over.

I reckon the Swans couldn't be any better prepared psychologically for this finals series. - Credit to the Club

Yeah, to a point I agree... but take Lloyd, he's not a star, but he an outstandingly good role player who 'starred' on Friday night. Florent's the same, so's Fox, Paddy, Rampe and at this stage McCartin (T). They are not stars in their own right, regardless of what team they are in. It's the make up of our back 6 that allow them to 'star' in some games. Please don't think I'm underselling them, I'm not. This team is really, really good and only going to get better! But in my view, it's the collective that allows them to star, not the individual.

Of those, I think Tom McCartin is most likely to become a star by the time he's 24. Given he's 22, 3 more years of experience and he is going to be something really special along the lines of that Richmond defender... what's his name!

And yep, we've disagreed on this before... I think you are more exuberant on this issue than I am. You back the potential, I want the proof.
I see this as a very good sign.
Arguing about whether our players should be labelled ‘stars’ or ‘outstandingly good players’’.

This board is a very good litmus test for how we feel about the team, not just about what we are talking about, but also what we are not talking about.

Last edited:
Not mad at him. It's embarrassing but as you say lots do it, including our own. I'm saying the incidents on Friday night shouldn't be used as criticisms of May's game. He did nothing wrong, Buddy acted, umpires fell for it. May was insurmountable.
I’m not convinced.
His face looked genuinely in pain (for a moment at least) and it’s not Buddy’s game. He gets harassed week in week out and rarely complains.

2008 Geelong

Was 2021 ump assisted?

Will keep that in mind next time a free is paid against us.
My Bf profile says Norm Smith Medalist so I believe that gives me the right to be unapologetically biased when it comes to umpiring, especially as I was forced to witness the disgrace of 2016. When we win an ump assisted flag, I will give up this little hobby horse.

Arguing about whether our players should be labelled ‘stars’ or ‘outstandingly good players’’.

This board is a very good litmus test for how we feel about the team, not so much about what we are talking about, but also what we are not talking about.
This board is mostly very knowledgeable and thoughtful about the club, players, coach and generally respectful in interactions.
At the moment we're all wound up with the excitement of the possibility of a premiership (certainly me included!) so it's not hard to imagine how the players feel.
One more week, then hopefully another!

This board is a very good litmus test for how we feel about the team, not just about what we are talking about, but also what we are not talking about.
With most on this board any player is only as good or bad as "last week". Anything prior to that is totally forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back