Roast We don't have any True KPF's

Remove this Banner Ad

A key forward would be nice, but it wasn’t the reason we lost in 2018... our midfield just wasn’t good enough & continues to be over-rated by the vast majority
If you look at output then what you say is in my opinon correct.
Apparently we have this amazing mid field but watching us play it is ordanary. Great on paper but in the real world nothing very special.
That is a different conversation though. I was just making the point that a good kpf may have tiped things in our favour.

If you look at output then what you say is in my opinon correct.
Apparently we have this amazing mid field but watching us play it is ordanary. Great on paper but in the real world nothing very special.
That is a different conversation though. I was just making the point that a good kpf may have tiped things in our favour.
Anyone think Grundy is the issue? We tend to win more clearances when Cox or Cameron is rucking

Anyone think Grundy is the issue? We tend to win more clearances when Cox or Cameron is rucking

Might be a Bit and could be our Mids are bit Overrated

Watching Grundy tap the ball to his feet all day yesterday frustrated the s**t out of me

He does that so he can be Involved in the Play

Last edited:
Grundy definitely not the issue.

We just refuse to not play our best clearance guy in the team (JDG) as a full time mid and we don't seem to have a very good system and a go to guy like Carlton has with Cripps, Brisbane with Neale, Hawks with Titch etc.

One thing I think is that our mids are all very ball dominant, they all need the ball in their hands. Pendles/Treloar/Sidey all accumulators. Nobody willing to protect the space or take one for the team to make it happen.

To assume that the Treloar trade solely is the reason we don’t have a good KPF is just ridiculous. He is a superstar.

You could argue we just haven’t pushed hard enough for guys who were available if we asked the right questions. We were too busy chasing Beams to really give Lynch a proper crack and we 100% should’ve asked more questions around guys like Charlie Dixon/Josh Schache/Jon Patton, whilst we definitely should’ve gone cheap on Jenkins, Josh Walker, Mitch Brown and those types but we didn’t.

However, we all understand that Cox’s role isn’t to kick goals but is to create a contest aerially so our smalls can go to work. It’s worked in the past, hence why we’d made a GF and PF the last 2 years. We honestly just need a good run with injuries and I think we are perfectly set up. If our pressure rating is through the roof nobody can compete with us. Think it ultimately comes down to mindset with our boys.
Not the sole reason but it's still worthy of consideration. It's not just the two top ten picks either. We signed Treloar on a long term deal at $750k a season. A deal like that is usually reserved for a top 10 player in the comp, not an up and coming player with the potential to be elite (as he was at the time). Drafting and developing top mids with first round picks has generally been a strong point of ours (Pendlebury, Thomas, Sidebottom, Degoey) which makes the decision to go so hard for Treloar even more baffling.

Round one still 2 weeks away and the sky is falling. It’s going to be a very long year for some of you lot

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is actually pretty restrained for TD and it's a reasonable issue to raise. We don't have any true KPF and we haven't for a long time. It's certainly not the be all and end all for the club this upcoming season but it's definitely worthy of discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF Reid can stay fit, and that’s a massive IF. And IF Dunn can come back to a permanent defensive role, then that releases Moore. But that too is an IF scenario.
I have faith in Reid when fit, and I believe Moore could be utilised in a forward capacity, depending on needs.

Our trouble for a long time, is we try to manufacture key forwards out of tall players, rather than recruit a talented natural forward.

Clokey was the closest we've had in recent times. We all know his kicking issues, but he was a genuine marking target, which gives a target for the midfield to kick to with confidence.

Making your own tall forward "role player" out of any random tall player doesn't work.

Our best tall forward option for 2020 is Darcy. He's clearly the most talented and given a couple of extra years of maturity, might be ready to go back where he belongs.

Grundy definitely not the issue.

We just refuse to not play our best clearance guy in the team (JDG) as a full time mid and we don't seem to have a very good system and a go to guy like Carlton has with Cripps, Brisbane with Neale, Hawks with Titch etc.

One thing I think is that our mids are all very ball dominant, they all need the ball in their hands. Pendles/Treloar/Sidey all accumulators. Nobody willing to protect the space or take one for the team to make it happen.
Degoey is coming off a leg issue last year so let him build and I'm sure we'll see him spend more time on the ball. The guy is building nicely.

Tay's butchery is more an issue. The guys a bull but CAN NOT kick. How many times yesterday and in the past does he kick forward with a bullet and when the camera man catches up you see it's gone to a paddock of space or straight down the oppositions throat for an end to end turn over.

Our trouble for a long time, is we try to manufacture key forwards out of tall players, rather than recruit a talented natural forward.

Clokey was the closest we've had in recent times. We all know his kicking issues, but he was a genuine marking target, which gives a target for the midfield to kick to with confidence.

Making your own tall forward "role player" out of any random tall player doesn't work.

Our best tall forward option for 2020 is Darcy. He's clearly the most talented and given a couple of extra years of maturity, might be ready to go back where he belongs.
I don’t regard Reid or Moore as purely randomly tall. Both have spent time at CHF, but for one reason or another they haven’t stayed there.

God Knows. No one there to coach them an Differently.

I still think Grundy does it so he can have a Impact after his Tap which he has had Quite a Big One

Remove this Banner Ad

Back