Roast We don't have any True KPF's

Remove this Banner Ad

If you look at output then what you say is in my opinon correct.
Apparently we have this amazing mid field but watching us play it is ordanary...

WTF?!

You flee to Turkey after the Aussie taxpayer invests in 15 years of your education (HSC x 3) and inflict your pidgin on us

Hugs xx

Round one still 2 weeks away and the sky is falling. It’s going to be a very long year for some of you lot

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah we get, gee how many “sky is falling” “it’s only preseason” comments, think we are up to 100 now!!!

Just let opinions be opinions, it’s ok let it play out!

For God sake!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

they probably traded for treloar for some short term gains, to pacify the whining pie supporters who wanted the coach axed and the previous coach brought back...btw where is the sack buckley thread? i miss it

I don’t regard Reid or Moore as purely randomly tall. Both have spent time at CHF, but for one reason or another they haven’t stayed there.
I don't either, but we seem to persist with trying to make tall forwards from other talls on the list and ignore those few we have with suitable talent.

Obviously if Reid could get a run without injury, he'd be an option, but personally I like Reid more as a defender.

If we persist with Darcy in defence, we're robbing the forward line, however the backline looks magnificent with him there, it's just a shame we can't clone him (legally).

Ultimately when our current forward line plays well together, they'll be pretty hard to beat. Just a shame we haven't chased a tall forward the same way we've chased dozens of midfielders.

I don't either, but we seem to persist with trying to make tall forwards from other talls on the list and ignore those few we have with suitable talent.

Obviously if Reid could get a run without injury, he'd be an option, but personally I like Reid more as a defender.

If we persist with Darcy in defence, we're robbing the forward line, however the backline looks magnificent with him there, it's just a shame we can't clone him (legally).

Ultimately when our current forward line plays well together, they'll be pretty hard to beat. Just a shame we haven't chased a tall forward the same way we've chased dozens of midfielders.

I think we chased Tom lynch pretty hard. Had we landed him we probably win the flag last year. So I think you have some valid points OP (Dave)

With any two of those forwards listed instead of Treloar, we wouldn’t have gotten close to a flag either of the last two years. Treloar is a star.

Exactly. How many flags have Sydney won after recruiting arguably the best KPF of the last 10-15 years? The only real knock on Treloar is that he doesn't hit the scoreboard as much as you'd like, more often than not because of accuracy rather than opportunity. And he's a lot cheaper in terms of TPP than a top line KPF. When you look at the reasons we recruited Beams, the fact he was 1. elite, 2. cheap, and 3. a genuine goal kicking midfielder, tells a lot of the story.

In response to the OP, it's an interesting discussion. IMHO, teams can only afford a certain number of players in the top salary echelon. Top line KPF's definitely fit that bill. We've opted to invest elsewhere with those packages and going forward it seems we'll continue to do so with Grundy, JDG and Moore seemingly at the front of the queue. If we'd have managed to secure Lynch (for example), which of those players would we have lost? Or would we have had to dilute the next tier? What are the flow on effects? Is investing more heavily in that next tier with players like Sidey, Elliott, Adams, Howe, WHE and Crisp a better outcome than overstocking the top echelon?

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to how you spend the TPP or that chasing an established KPF is the way to go. Personally, I'd always prefer we go to the draft rather than trade, but as 2013 showed, even top picks don't bring any guarantees. How many flags did Melbourne win after drafting Hogan? How many have the Saints won after drafting McCartin?

Not the sole reason but it's still worthy of consideration. It's not just the two top ten picks either. We signed Treloar on a long term deal at $750k a season. A deal like that is usually reserved for a top 10 player in the comp, not an up and coming player with the potential to be elite (as he was at the time). Drafting and developing top mids with first round picks has generally been a strong point of ours (Pendlebury, Thomas, Sidebottom, Degoey) which makes the decision to go so hard for Treloar even more baffling.

My recollection was that it was less than that, more in the $600-650k range which was a lot given the TPP framework at that time but ultimately made him relatively cheap by the end of that 1st term.

Yep no true KP FORWARD at the Pies !
The lack of not having a true key position forward has cost us 2 flags (2018-19) and if we do not address this problem its bannanas for the Pies.
We never learn from our mistakes and it costs us flags.

Bitchmond won a flag with one key forward,then they quickly got lynch who in one year helped them win another flag.Without lynch Bitchmond would not have made the grand final,they would have lost the semi against Geelong Lynch kick 4-5 goals in that game.

As maligned as he was do you think we would have won the flag in 2010 without Cloke and to a lesser degree Dawes,it was those two in the dying minutes of the game helped us level the game then go on to glorrrry the following week.
In 2011 Cloke played very well wasn't through his fault we lost the Grand final against the cats

Throw $$$$$$ at Cameron from GWS if not target someone like Ben Brown from Norf or two metre Peter Wright from the Suns.

Missed a real opportunity with Josh Bruce who was on the table two years in a row, and in our lap in 2018.

He's that middling KPF option we should have put more effort into chasing but I worry about the team structure then and support for Grundy. Bruce's ruckwork is ordinary IMHO so would we then still need to play Cox and are we still having the ongoing debate about 3 big forwards?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Degoey is coming off a leg issue last year so let him build and I'm sure we'll see him spend more time on the ball. The guy is building nicely.

Tay's butchery is more an issue. The guys a bull but CAN NOT kick. How many times yesterday and in the past does he kick forward with a bullet and when the camera man catches up you see it's gone to a paddock of space or straight down the oppositions throat for an end to end turn over.

Not as many times as some suggest.

i really hope we get a decent KP FORWARD.....GEORGIADIS (not sure about the spelling)was the one we should have picked up but PORT pounced.

Aside from all the KP TALK I am hearing great things about NICK DAICOS ! Has got a lot of his father's skills and is a bigger body than Josh.
Still a year or two away but get excited pies fans

He's that middling KPF option we should have put more effort into chasing but I worry about the team structure then and support for Grundy. Bruce's ruckwork is ordinary IMHO so would we then still need to play Cox and are we still having the ongoing debate about 3 big forwards?
I've watched a fair bit of Bruce purely because I'm a fan of him and I actually reckon he'd have been perfect for our controlling, possession-hoarding and marking game plan. His ability to cover a lot of ground is underrated for a big man (197cm) and he's a beautiful field kick including over long distances. Having Bruce at centre half-forward and pushing the wing would have lifted a lot of Cox's work load and expectations off his back; he'd have been able to play as a standard deep full forward and Bruce would have taken opponents and attention away from him too. I think you could have played the two together because of Bruce's versatility and tank.

So what you are saying is after losing the Marsh cup against St Kilda this is now an issue ?? Well i am giving up on the season see you in 2021 ;)
I'm saying that if De Goey plays mid, and Elliott spends more time there as well, we are left with no paper to cover the cracks of our KPF deficiencies. That was on show in the St Kilda game, and has been a prob for a few years now, that we are running out of options to cover.

Its no doubt why we went after Lynch... but our hope that Cox & Reid can plug the gaps as the plan B is proving to be flawed.

Then he not doing a Good Job

How do you know?

Maybe it's what he's been asked to implement and he's got it perfect.

Maybe the players simply aren't choosing the more attacking options when they present. What do they do at training?

As some have pointed out we haven't had a true KPF since Cloke. Yet we almost snagged a flag without one, Sides has 20 possies we win that cup regardless if we have a KPF or not.

The thing to remember at our best it's our system that does it for us, not the list. If we play like 2019 again KPF or not we ain't takin the cup, play like we did in 2018 and we'll likely be in it and maybe win it. KPF or not.

We were unpredictable and had the opp guessing in our F50, arguably the most dangerous forward set up for that year and no KPF.

As much as everyone points out Tay's poor kicking he is key if we wanna play the way that suits us best. We should not be a personnel reliant team but with Adams I'll make an exception, unless Wills or Sier can rise to that level, that's likely not to be in time.

We are not reliant on a KPF, a team like wc and giants is. IF we actually did get a true KPF to replace Cloke in the immediate term than right now our structure looks different and we don't fit everyone in the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back