Opinion We Drive to the World Stage in an MG ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know that Trump & many in the world blame China for this outbreak, but the reality is China is China. The Politburo have always controlled the media, and orchestrated the rhetoric. The world has been happy to do business with that same entity, Trump has, Australia has, and so has Port. The very thing that accelerated the rapid spread of the disease worldwide, the massive Chinese population and their worldwide movement, is the very thing that many of the worlds economies rely upon, including Australia with the tens of thousands of Chinese students we encourage to come splash their cash here! The world cant have it both ways!

Also the massive hypocrisy of it all! The Trump led brigade demanding punishment for the Chinese "inaction" in early January, when upwards of two months later, with the world fully aware that we had a worldwide pandemic on our hands, we have Trump saying America is fine, and Boris Johnson, deliberately shaking hands With Covid patients.

Hypocrites AND idiots!

IMO Port are in a great position now to leverage off our Chinese connection. While the world is busy finger-pointing, we should be going all-out on China! They will be looking to improve their name and brand after this drama, and we must be there with bells on to facilitate it!

Valid points. :thumbsu:

I know that Trump & many in the world blame China for this outbreak, but the reality is China is China. The Politburo have always controlled the media, and orchestrated the rhetoric. The world has been happy to do business with that same entity, Trump has, Australia has, and so has Port. The very thing that accelerated the rapid spread of the disease worldwide, the massive Chinese population and their worldwide movement, is the very thing that many of the worlds economies rely upon, including Australia with the tens of thousands of Chinese students we encourage to come splash their cash here! The world cant have it both ways!

Also the massive hypocrisy of it all! The Trump led brigade demanding punishment for the Chinese "inaction" in early January, when upwards of two months later, with the world fully aware that we had a worldwide pandemic on our hands, we have Trump saying America is fine, and Boris Johnson, deliberately shaking hands With Covid patients.

Hypocrites AND idiots!

IMO Port are in a great position now to leverage off our Chinese connection. While the world is busy finger-pointing, we should be going all-out on China! They will be looking to improve their name and brand after this drama, and we must be there with bells on to facilitate it!

Is China is China

Indeed, China is China. Always has been, always will be. That of course doesn’t let it completely off the hook for being imperfect ... and lately China is behaving imperfectly to an exceedingly unfortunate degree.

Just as we, our Club, were beautifully getting our China act together in 2017, three years ago, up sprung paranoia politics Canberra-style to start the rot that coronavirus, bats, pangolins and wet markets have now exploded into an undiplomatic black hole.

To think that in March 2017 Turnbull was hosting Li Keqiang at the SCG, smiles and sports diplomacy busting out all over, the PAFC China Strategy the hot topic over Port supporters’ beers everywhere. We were on track to start making significant commercial gain out of China, the sort of commercial gain we broke camp and set out for back in 2013.

Capitalisation

I have been accused over the course by certain posters, whose IDs have disappeared into that nowhere called Ignore, of being a Beijing plant, an agent for China ... of serving the Chinese Communist Party whilst pretending to be doing my best to assist my Club towards being successful up here. Such stuff is thrown about all the time, everywhere; another manifestation of human imperfection, the type based on which Americans now elect their President. It did make me think, though. It did have me re-examining my motives for volunteering to help the Club in China. Was I being solely altruistic? Was I play-acting as just a disciple of Community Keith?

No way. I was being, have been all along, capitalistic. I’ve been no more, no better, than a running dog capitalist ... just as I was in 1984 when I travelled to Beijing for the second time, and to Shanghai for the first time, to negotiate with the telephone bureaus in both cities sizeable contracts for the importation of high-density large underground cables manufactured by British Insulated Callenders Cables in Lancashire. I was doing my job to earn a commission for my company, Arnholds, who were BICC’s China agents for telecoms cables and who employed me in Hong Kong. I was earning my salary and boosting my bonus. I was capitalising.

We secured both contracts. Others followed in Beijing, Shanghai, other places, during that particular five-year plan laid out by the Politburo, then dried up as the next five-year plan switched attention to inward technology transfer and establishment of joint-venture enterprises. At no time was I hauled off for brain-washing, re-education, or training by the Gong An Bu, the Chinese Public Security Bureau.

Substitute PAFC for Arnholds, substitute the AFL for BICC, substitute Australian football for containers of underground telephone cables, and you have in 2013-2020 the exact same scenario that I was part of in China in 1984 and years thereafter. I was in it for the money back then, and I am in it for the money - money that PAFC can call their own - now.

Noble Prize

I have told this story before in other threads. So what’s the relevance of a re-mention in this particular thread, at this particular time?

I’ve pointed a sharp finger and aimed a sharp tongue at Cos Cardone. He’s been deserving of both, by my judgement, and I have no recent evidence to the contrary. Cos has now been appointed by his ex-media mate Corey Wingard to the board of Thoroughbred Racing SA and separately to the Premier’s SA Government panel to advise on the post-virus resurrection of sport, including all football codes, in the state. My guess is his contribution falls short of a Noble Prize. Yes, Noble. He is an ex-journalist after all.

My aim is no secret. If it’s worth writing about, write about it. My aim is for Cos to not remain on the PAFC board. There’s no football at present, it’s all quiet, so what’s the urgency? Indeed, any urgency has been delayed. The Army has a name for it: ‘Hurry Up And Wait’. But I’d dearly love to discover, one day, what Cos has been doing, is doing, will be doing - himself, drawing on his own resources - to help direct our Club through this coronavirus minefield ... and thereby justify his presence at that table in that Alberton room presided over by that empty chair in one corner: the chair that majestically wears the imprint of Big Bob McLean’s no-bloody-no-hopers backside, the Port Adelaide Football Club’s equivalent to the Shroud of Turin.

What are Cos’s ‘own resources’? When it comes to contacts in AFL House Cos Cardone has no peer. Those contacts are the perceived asset for which he was appointed to our board in October 2012. But, I maintain, contacts of Cos’s at AFL House have been used to benefit Eddie McGuire - not PAFC, not enough, not at all. Bad call, Kochie.

Ain’t one of us

Will China come back into the frame? No, not until Beijing starts behaving like a true world partner; not until China can demonstrate that the system which produced Zhou Enlai - the greatest diplomat ever to come out of the Middle Kingdom, and without whom China today would be well short of being China today - can come up with a new Zhou Enlai, send him to Canberra as a sorely needed replacement ambassador, and start fixing the almighty mess that is the Australia-China relationship, for the benefit of all.

Will PAFC be a part of the fixing, for the benefit of PAFC? Too soon to guess, too far off to visualise.

But, if so, will Cos Cardone be a part of that fixing? No need to hang around waiting for the answer to that one.

Some of us haven’t given up the fight. Cos ain’t one of us.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

Hypocrites AND idiots!

The rhetoric, and I have many friends who repeat this, that the virus is not worrisome, but also a Chinese biological weapon designed for world domination is absolutely maddening. It cannot be both!

The rhetoric, and I have many friends who repeat this, that the virus is not worrisome, but also a Chinese biological weapon designed for world domination is absolutely maddening. It cannot be both!

Oh yes it can.

If there's one thing the #fakenews era has reminded me it's that people's ability to live with cognitive dissonances is severely underestimated.

Is China is China

Indeed, China is China. Always has been, always will be. That of course doesn’t let it completely off the hook for being imperfect ... and lately China is behaving imperfectly to an exceedingly unfortunate degree.

Just as we, our Club, were beautifully getting our China act together in 2017, three years ago, up sprung paranoia politics Canberra-style to start the rot that coronavirus, bats, pangolins and wet markets have now exploded into an undiplomatic black hole.

To think that in March 2017 Turnbull was hosting Li Keqiang at the SCG, smiles and sports diplomacy busting out all over, the PAFC China Strategy the hot topic over Port supporters’ beers everywhere. We were on track to start making significant commercial gain out of China, the sort of commercial gain we broke camp and set out for back in 2013.

Capitalisation

I have been accused over the course by certain posters, whose IDs have disappeared into that nowhere called Ignore, of being a Beijing plant, an agent for China ... of serving the Chinese Communist Party whilst pretending to be doing my best to assist my Club towards being successful up here. Such stuff is thrown about all the time, everywhere; another manifestation of human imperfection, the type based on which Americans now elect their President. It did make me think, though. It did have me re-examining my motives for volunteering to help the Club in China. Was I being solely altruistic? Was I play-acting as just a disciple of Community Keith?

No way. I was being, have been all along, capitalistic. I’ve been no more, no better, than a running dog capitalist ... just as I was in 1984 when I travelled to Beijing for the second time, and to Shanghai for the first time, to negotiate with the telephone bureaus in both cities sizeable contracts for the importation of high-density large underground cables manufactured by British Insulated Callenders Cables in Lancashire. I was doing my job to earn a commission for my company, Arnholds, who were BICC’s China agents for telecoms cables and who employed me in Hong Kong. I was earning my salary and boosting my bonus. I was capitalising.

We secured both contracts. Others followed in Beijing, Shanghai, other places, during that particular five-year plan laid out by the Politburo, then dried up as the next five-year plan switched attention to inward technology transfer and establishment of joint-venture enterprises. At no time was I hauled off for brain-washing, re-education, or training by the Gong An Bu, the Chinese Public Security Bureau.

Substitute PAFC for Arnholds, substitute the AFL for BICC, substitute Australian football for containers of underground telephone cables, and you have in 2013-2020 the exact same scenario that I was part of in China in 1984 and years thereafter. I was in it for the money back then, and I am in it for the money - money that PAFC can call their own - now.

Noble Prize

I have told this story before in other threads. So what’s the relevance of a re-mention in this particular thread, at this particular time?

I’ve pointed a sharp finger and aimed a sharp tongue at Cos Cardone. He’s been deserving of both, by my judgement, and I have no recent evidence to the contrary. Cos has now been appointed by his ex-media mate Corey Wingard to the board of Thoroughbred Racing SA and separately to the Premier’s SA Government panel to advise on the post-virus resurrection of sport, including all football codes, in the state. My guess is his contribution falls short of a Noble Prize. Yes, Noble. He is an ex-journalist after all.

My aim is no secret. If it’s worth writing about, write about it. My aim is for Cos to not remain on the PAFC board. There’s no football at present, it’s all quiet, so what’s the urgency? Indeed, any urgency has been delayed. The Army has a name for it: ‘Hurry Up And Wait’. But I’d dearly love to discover, one day, what Cos has been doing, is doing, will be doing - himself, drawing on his own resources - to help direct our Club through this coronavirus minefield ... and thereby justify his presence at that table in that Alberton room presided over by that empty chair in one corner: the chair that majestically wears the imprint of Big Bob McLean’s no-bloody-no-hopers backside, the Port Adelaide Football Club’s equivalent to the Shroud of Turin.

What are Cos’s ‘own resources’? When it comes to contacts in AFL House Cos Cardone has no peer. Those contacts are the perceived asset for which he was appointed to our board in October 2012. But, I maintain, contacts of Cos’s at AFL House have been used to benefit Eddie McGuire - not PAFC, not enough, not at all. Bad call, Kochie.

Ain’t one of us

Will China come back into the frame? No, not until Beijing starts behaving like a true world partner; not until China can demonstrate that the system which produced Zhou Enlai - the greatest diplomat ever to come out of the Middle Kingdom, and without whom China today would be well short of being China today - can come up with a new Zhou Enlai, send him to Canberra as a sorely needed replacement ambassador, and start fixing the almighty mess that is the Australia-China relationship, for the benefit of all.

Will PAFC be a part of the fixing, for the benefit of PAFC? Too soon to guess, too far off to visualise.

But, if so, will Cos Cardone be a part of that fixing? No need to hang around waiting for the answer to that one.

Some of us haven’t given up the fight. Cos ain’t one of us.

Well I don't know Cos but I trust you more on that point of judgement ;)

As for China, your argument reduces to the old saw "since trade is mutually beneficial, surely it is smarter than senseless fighting". Something that like Hooke's law of springs only holds within a range of tensions and relationships. With economies already stalled, several political futures at stake, and 30 years of increased nationalism in both the US and China, I think actual brinkmanship is more likely on the cards than diplomacy.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Well I don't know Cos but I trust you more on that point of judgement ;)

As for China, your argument reduces to the old saw "since trade is mutually beneficial, surely it is smarter than senseless fighting". Something that like Hooke's law of springs only holds within a range of tensions and relationships. With economies already stalled, several political futures at stake, and 30 years of increased nationalism in both the US and China, I think actual brinkmanship is more likely on the cards than diplomacy.
Diplomacy is war by other means. The problem here is that political and economical goals may differ. There are different players with different interests. The question is on who prevails.

The Chinese are moving in a way that looks as if they are trying to protect themselves from a global economic crash — building a net of countries able to supply the goods they need. However, they are doing this powered by the same economic policies from the Fed and the ECB.

The world economy is built upon a very thin ground. Nationalism, especially in Europe, is a sign that the system is cracking. It is unsustainable, but the main central banks keep doubling it down. It will break, and when it does, it is going to be ugly.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
sack the communists and Ken, going back to China would be akin to sacking Ken and making Troy Chaplin coach, will this club ever grow a set

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Malthouse desperately trying to stay relevant as a sage old philosopher and our moral compass with today's puff piece.

"Sell our soul". Give me a break!

If the AFL want clubs to stay solvent then they need to encourage thinking outside the square more with revenue raising, etc. Simply reducing budgets and slashing player and staff resource totals won't solve the financial problems going forward.

MM has the same simplistic view of Port's China approach that others looking in from the outside always have without digging deeper.

The political reality is that, whilst there may be some re-tooling of fiscal approach and a diminished reliance on China as an economic salve by governments around the world by compensating with an increase in local manufacturing in key strategic areas, they will still probably be our biggest trading partners in the future.

If Port can act, in it's own small way, as a conduit to keep amicable diplomatic relations going between Oz and China, then it cant be such a bad thing, surely? One would think that, behind the huff and puff rhetoric, wise heads will still try to keep relations on an even keel.

It's not selling our soul so much as it is taking the pragmatist approach. Sure, make our concerns and displeasure known, and keep the narrative around using "independent" investigations when referencing finding out about the origins of the current pandemic and such like. But don't cut off our collective noses just for spite's sake.

Don't think MM's views willbe given much credence at the higher echelons of business and government tbh.

Papa G

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I believe China do deserve a kicking for this. It is a calamity on a monumental scale and from all available information it is most likely their fault. There does need to be some repercussions, but they need to be universally condemned by all, meaning they can't single out certain countries who take a more hard line stance. The Yanks will no doubt go hard, but it really requires the other big economies to tell them to go * themselves too. You'd think the British and the Europeans, given the death tolls they have suffered would be on board with this. It needs a Global response.

This needs to of course be tempered with the fact that China is by far and away our biggest trading partner and our economic recovery and prosperity massively depend on them. As long as Australia isn't left hanging out to dry, condemnation and repercussions should be pursued. They can't just get off scott free.

I believe China do deserve a kicking for this. It is a calamity on a monumental scale and from all available information it is most likely their fault. There does need to be some repercussions, but they need to be universally condemned by all, meaning they can't single out certain countries who take a more hard line stance. The Yanks will no doubt go hard, but it really requires the other big economies to tell them to go fu** themselves too. You'd think the British and the Europeans, given the death tolls they have suffered would be on board with this. It needs a Global response.

This needs to of course be tempered with the fact that China is by far and away our biggest trading partner and our economic recovery and prosperity massively depend on them. As long as Australia isn't left hanging out to dry, condemnation and repercussions should be pursued. They can't just get off scott free.
I agree BUT, keeping Chinese citizens in the dark and reliant on archaic practices and not properly modernising the nation is how we can afford the economies we have!
The low wages and education most Chinese receive fuels the society we all enjoy in the west and our rampant consumerism. We have to take some responsibility.

Education and raising the living and democratic standards of China will cost the West a fortune, as it stands we can currently turn a blind eye to the terrible conditions and blame it on 'their government', because it suits us as we get cheaper items because of it.

Good on yer OGC.

Andrew Hunter a couple of weeks ago eagerly agreed to be Rick’s and Macca’s special guest on Portfan Radio before the Hunters drive off into the sunset next week in their brand-new MG a la Darren Cahill who - with Andrew and REH, and Simone Halep, and James Lindsay PAFC GM Commercial - was a player in closing the MG JMS partnership with a double-handed trick backhand tie-breaker that the opposition never saw coming.

FishingRick04 Macca19 RussellEbertHandball Ford Fairlane

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I believe China do deserve a kicking for this. It is a calamity on a monumental scale and from all available information it is most likely their fault. There does need to be some repercussions, but they need to be universally condemned by all, meaning they can't single out certain countries who take a more hard line stance. The Yanks will no doubt go hard, but it really requires the other big economies to tell them to go fu** themselves too. You'd think the British and the Europeans, given the death tolls they have suffered would be on board with this. It needs a Global response.

Agree 100% and I'll go further. The world's reliance on China is very unhealthy. I'm sick of China playing the racist card but it has served them well. The Chinese government will not be happy until they control the world and they are edging closer. They are dangerous bullies and I'm extremely unhappy that my club is associated with them. (However, I understand why Port pursued this initiative and it was a gutsy move.) It's time the world took China on and made them accountable for their atrocious behaviour.

My opinion was formed way before Covid emerged although recent events have reinforced my view. Previously I decided not to voice my opinion because I knew how unpopular it would be with posters I really respect. However, the beauty of our country is we can engage in healthy debate without fear for our safety.

Side note: LR, the work you have done for the club has been fantastic. I just wish the Chinese government were better world citizens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree 100% and I'll go further. The world's reliance on China is very unhealthy. I'm sick of China playing the racist card but it has served them well. The Chinese government will not be happy until they control the world and they are edging closer. They are dangerous bullies and I'm extremely unhappy that my club is associated with them. (However, I understand why Port pursued this initiative and it was a gutsy move.) It's time the world took China on and made them accountable for their atrocious behaviour.

My opinion was formed way before Covid emerged although recent events have reinforced my view. Previously I decided not to voice my opinion because I knew how unpopular it would be with posters I really respect. However, the beauty of our country is we can engage in healthy debate without fear for our safety.

Side note: LR, the work you have done for the club has been fantastic. I just wish the Chinese government were better world citizens.

I am far from a Chinese apologist nor a USA hater but you could replace China with USA from the above and it would be watertight.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has em’/they all stink.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I am far from a Chinese apologist nor a USA hater but you could replace China with USA from the above and it would be watertight.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has em’/they all stink.
It is all different shades of gray. We would love them to be either black or white, but no one actually is; not even our own selves.

Last edited:
MG Motor Australia

We’re donating a fleet of MGs to the South Western Sydney Local Health District. Bankstown, Bowral, Camden, Campbelltown, Fairfield and Liverpool hospitals will each benefit, with the ZS’ used to transport PPE and essential medical equipment in response to the health pandemic. We’re in awe of all of the health care workers across the country, and are delighted to be able to make a practical contribution. | Facebook

1588900655725.jpeg

Sep 6, 2007
Hiding in the sand dunes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

In my opinion this 'yeah but whatabout the US' everytime someone voices legitimate criticism of the Chinese Communist Party is pretty lame.

The US' actions both current and past don't give China a get-out-of-jail-free card to do whatever it wants without consequence.

The fact of the matter is the Chinese government is engaged in massive human rights abuses, cultural and ethnic genocide of its minorities, environmental destruction, animal cruelty, corruption and bullying on the international stage and a significant amount of spying/espionage of its own citizens and others. It also props up several despots whose crimes and abuses are too many to enumerate.

I personally don't believe that the Tibetans would consider the US and China as synonymous but that also isn't the point. None of the above is negated by what the US does or doesn't do, and China shouldn't be excused just because Bush did something bad once as well.

I have massive reservations about our involvement with China. I understand the dollar signs are hard to ignore but in my opinion we have bitten off way more than we can chew and risk getting caught in the middle of things we as an Australian football club really shouldn't be involved with.

People are free to disagree but in my opinion some things are worth more than money. Honour, integrity, the ability to say we aren't involved with a murderous xenophobic totalitarian regime that has just unleashed a global pandemic responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths... I dunno, I just think those things are worth something, that's all.

MG haven't missed a beat - relatively. each link lists every manufacturers sales

April figures April 2020 on April 2019 MG +1.5% - most companies - 50%~-60%
Official figures show a total of 38,926 vehicles reported as sold – versus 75,550 for the same month last year – a decline of 48.5 per cent, versus sharper declines overseas of between 80 and 98 per cent.

March figures March on March MG + 75.5%

VFACTS data compiled by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries released today shows that car sales fell by 17.9 per cent compared to March last year, to 81,690 sales.

February figures February on February MG +128%
New vehicle sales in Australia fell double digits yet again in February, to 79,940 units (a reduction of 10.3 per cent over the same month in 2019).

January figures January on January MG + 82.7%

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) has released VFACTS new car sales data for January, and the results don’t look pretty. The peak body recorded 71,731 sales, down 12.5 per cent over January in 2019, which was itself the worst sales-year since 2011.

2019 final figures
2019 sales over 2018 sales MG +176.9%
Australia’s 2019 new car sales tally finished up almost 8 per cent down on the previous year, making it the worst since 2011.

Last edited:
SAIC would be happy what is happening with MG in Oz compared to what has happened in China. This story is dated 14th April - cant find April's figures yet.

Hong Kong (CNN Business) In a normal year, China would have sold more than 6 million new cars by now. This year, the number is closer to 3.7 million, and now the government is handing out cash to help the world's biggest auto market get back on its feet after the coronavirus pandemic.

Car sales declined 42% in the first quarter of 2020 compared to last year, according to data released late last week by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM). While that is largely because of a whopping 79% plunge in February — when the country of 1.4 billion people recorded just 310,000 sales — the market remains very weak. Only 1.43 million vehicles were sold in China last month, a 43% decline over March 2019.

Are MG offering members a deal if they buy one of the range ? From what I have seen they also need to extend their dealership aspects, for someone based in the SE of SA I would have to travel to Adelaide to buy one.

Are MG offering members a deal if they buy one of the range ? From what I have seen they also need to extend their dealership aspects, for someone based in the SE of SA I would have to travel to Adelaide to buy one.
The Club is aiming to establish a successful MG JMS operation a la the five-year Renault exercise. Make that many times better than said Renault exercise. Indeed, our track record in boosting Renault sales in Australia, off a low base starting 2013, was a key instrument in our sales kit versus the Rabbitohs who could boast no such experience.

So, yes, the objective is - once procedures become operational - for Club members to be able to secure an attractive deal in purchasing an MG, as Andrew Hunter has no doubt been able to do in preparation for his trek across the Nullabor. Hopefully he will be able to come on Portfan Radio and tell us about it before he sets off next week.

MG’s national dealership is in a state of infancy. Indeed in SA there are only three dealers at present. It is the perfect time to sign MG / SAIC up as a JMS, with ex-Holden dealers in the market for a replacement brand.

I trust the Club will also take seriously a suggestion that has been made to them that PAFC should set about not just selling MGs to its Members, but also act as a spotter for new MG dealerships, earning extra commission dealership deal by dealership deal, plus commission on sales of MGs by these introduced dealers to clients other than existing Club Members.

I’m looking forward to all this happening as soon as circumstances allow, along with seeing evidence of some clever in-depth (as against superficial) marketing and promotional activity by the Club that does justice to securing such a legendary brand to be a worthwhile commercial Joint Major Sponsor - putting an end to the painful absence of such that we endured throughout 2018 and which contributed significantly to the undoing of KT as CEO.

The Club is aiming to establish a successful MG JMS operation a la the five-year Renault exercise. Make that many times better than said Renault exercise. Indeed, our track record in boosting Renault sales in Australia, off a low base starting 2013, was a key instrument in our sales kit versus the Rabbitohs who could boast no such experience.

So, yes, the objective is - once procedures become operational - for Club members to be able to secure an attractive deal in purchasing an MG, as Andrew Hunter has no doubt been able to do in preparation for his trek across the Nullabor. Hopefully he will be able to come on Portfan Radio and tell us about it before he sets off next week.

MG’s national dealership is in a state of infancy. Indeed in SA there are only three dealers at present. It is the perfect time to sign MG / SAIC up as a JMS, with ex-Holden dealers in the market for a replacement brand.

I trust the Club will also take seriously a suggestion that has been made to them that PAFC should set about not just selling MGs to its Members, but also act as a spotter for new MG dealerships, earning extra commission dealership deal by dealership deal, plus commission on sales of MGs by these introduced dealers to clients other than existing Club Members.

I’m looking forward to all this happening as soon as circumstances allow, along with seeing evidence of some clever in-depth (as against superficial) marketing and promotional activity by the Club that does justice to securing such a legendary brand to be a worthwhile commercial Joint Major Sponsor - putting an end to the painful absence of such that we endured throughout 2018 and which contributed significantly to the undoing of KT as CEO.

Sounds good LR. It is just that I am in the market for a new car before the end of the financial year, can we full forward this buy 12 to 24 months :D

Sounds good LR. It is just that I am in the market for a new car before the end of the financial year, can we full forward this buy 12 to 24 months :D
Mate, email your story to James Lindsay at the Club, copy to Matt Richardson who will get back to you post haste I am sure. They will be delighted to receive such a message at this time.

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The US' actions both current and past don't give China a get-out-of-jail-free card to do whatever it wants without consequence.

100% agree, nor should it and it doesn’t. China’s abuse of human rights is absolute and without repent.

The fact of the matter is the Chinese government is engaged in massive human rights abuses, cultural and ethnic genocide of its minorities, environmental destruction, animal cruelty, corruption and bullying on the international stage and a significant amount of spying/espionage of its own citizens and others. It also props up several despots whose crimes and abuses are too many to enumerate.

Conversely, that statement could apply to a plethora of anglophone nation states both retrospectively and current, including Australia.

I personally don't believe that the Tibetans would consider the US and China as synonymous but that also isn't the point.

As most Persians and more indiscriminately, Iranians. Borrowing Christian symbology and abhorrent IT puns, I always think Google administered the final backslash to the Tibetan crucifixion.

I have massive reservations about our involvement with China. I understand the dollar signs are hard to ignore but in my opinion we have bitten off way more than we can chew and risk getting caught in the middle of things we as an Australian football club really shouldn't be involved with.

I commend you on that earnest response and hope all members weigh the perils of associative branding.

the ability to say we aren't involved with a murderous xenophobic totalitarian regime that has just unleashed a global pandemic responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths...

Please elaborate your smoking gun theory, indulge the unenlightened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back