Toast We got Bolton sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy and Setterfield look so average at the moment..and slow. Plowman and Marchbank are slowish.

It’s like SOS stuffed up drafting them high at the Giants and then doubled his mistake by bringing them to Carlton, although they didn’t cost much. Fasolo and Lang...sheesh.

Kennedy and Setterfield look so average at the moment..and slow. Plowman and Marchbank are slowish.

It’s like SOS stuffed up drafting them high at the Giants and then doubled his mistake by bringing them to Carlton, although they didn’t cost much. Fasolo and Lang...sheesh.

I can't remember which one it was, either plowman or marchbank, but Baguley turned one of them and burnt him off. They were that slow that it made Baguley look like Usain Bolt

We should hire Bolts as assistant coach.
Because his coaching record demands it? Let him turn our 'green shoots' into dead wood? No thanks, there are 16 other clubs that can fight for him, wet tissues at 10 paces should do the trick.

I am sick of this sort of stuff. Winning against Carlton isn't something to be dancing about. They played terribly. We should've won by a LOT more. Being satisfied by them sacking Bolton is stupid.

Not sure if this is the place for it, but here goes...
The other thing that really gets up my goat is how the club are always talking about how great our history is. I'm pretty sure I saw something about the 84 Grand final come up on the scoreboard at the G this weekend..... Don't get me wrong, I am proud of our rich history. However, having the club constantly bring it up sends the message to me as "don't worry if we lose or suck, we used to be good so be happy about that!" It's embarrassing. We haven't won a single finals game in 14 years, a grand final in 18 years.
For me, that is my past with our club. The years I can remember are crap when you consider that I was only 10 years old in 2000 and 3 in 93. So please, just stop. Stop telling me about something that happened last millennium and start talking about the present and show actual improvement and direction. I want to be good now or be convinced that we will be in the near future. I don't want to be in the same boat years from now (around the 7-15 range) and talking about how great we are.
Rant over.

I am sick of this sort of stuff. Winning against Carlton isn't something to be dancing about. They played terribly. We should've won by a LOT more. Being satisfied by them sacking Bolton is stupid.

The other thing that really gets up my goat is how the club are always talking about how great our history is. I'm pretty sure I saw something about the 84 Grand final come up on the scoreboard at the G this weekend..... Don't get me wrong, I am proud of our rich history. However, having the club constantly bring it up sends the message to me as "don't worry if we lose or suck, we used to be good so be happy about that!" It's embarrassing. We haven't won a single finals game in 14 years, a grand final in 18 years.
For me, that is my past with our club. The years I can remember are crap when you consider that I was only 10 years old in 2000 and 3 in 93. So please, just stop. Stop telling me about something that happened last millennium and start talking about the present and show actual improvement and direction. I want to be good now or be convinced that we will be in the near future. I don't want to be in the same boat years from now (around the 7-15 range) and talking about how great we are.
Rant over.
I have a son and a brother who barrack for Melbourne, they reckon you should take a harden up pill.
I've always supported Essendon and hang on to the memories of 84/85, 93 and 2000, reason being the way it looks at present we're in for a long wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do enjoy Carlton misfortune - cannot stand that club. My most hated actually.

However, I feel for Bolton. Seems like a decent guy. Hope he lands on his feet and gets a coaching role next season - in whatever capacity.

Rant over.

I'm totally along the same lines.

The club is meandering along like it did from 1969 to ~ 1980. Not that I agree with everything he did, but it took Sheedy to come in & bring a hard-ass edge & change the culture to a winning one. Before he turned up, the club just rolled along as a mediocre entity.

The current younger supporter base don't know anything different to what's being dished up over the past 15 years...mediocrity. It just wasn't accepted in the 80's & 90's.
They don't know how feared all Essendon was. Everyone was scared of playing us, because we were so good, and so hard. Even guys like Dipper, Dermot & Leigh Matthews were intimidated.
They don't know about all of the training stories from the early 80's, the complaints from the players about how hard Sheedy was driving them, how some players were too tired to eat after training.. how Paul Van der Haar walked into Windy Hill on a Sunday morning, late, & walked out because he couldn't see his team-mates - reason being, Sheedy had them crawling around the boundary line.
They don't know about his speech after we lost in '83.

I'm not saying that we need to replicate those methods, because times change... but the place needs an overhaul, and it starts from the top.

I have a son and a brother who barrack for Melbourne, they reckon you should take a harden up pill.
I've always supported Essendon and hang on to the memories of 84/85, 93 and 2000, reason being the way it looks at present we're in for a long wait.

Melbourne supporters thinking i should take a harden pill means i should be ok with our recent history?
My point was that we talk ourselves up to be this great club but we haven't been for quite some time. I believe we're closer than you think though and I'd rather live in hope for our future than settle on what happened 18+ years ago.

Melbourne supporters thinking i should take a harden pill means i should be ok with our recent history?
My point was that we talk ourselves up to be this great club but we haven't been for quite some time. I believe we're closer than you think though and I'd rather live in hope for our future than settle on what happened 18+ years ago.
Your call, for me I'm closer to the end than the start, I think by the time we win our next one I will more than likely be that three year old that can't remember.

Always thought Bolton was doomed from the start at Carlron and it started with the wierd business contract he was made to agree too which should of been a big red flag.

I feel sorry for him as he was on a hiding to nothing from a club that would seem to have a very obnoxious Admin structure.

Sos, Judd, LoGiudice etc threw him under their own incompetence bus...

Always thought Bolton was doomed from the start at Carlron and it started with the wierd business contract he was made to agree too which should of been a big red flag.

I feel sorry for him as he was on a hiding to nothing from a club that would seem to have a very obnoxious Admin structure.

He agreed to it though. He could've just stayed at Hawthorne and waited for a better opportunity.

Any details on this? Heard it mentioned a couple times now without any explanation of what it was.

I have next to no sympathy for Bolton and that's not just because I despise Carlton more than any sporting team on the planet. He had time enough to show his credentials and the W/L record illustrated his shortcomings. Moreso, the lack of effort and lack of improvement of most on the list in his time tells me the correct decision was made for Carlton. Personally I wished they'd signed him up for another 5 years. Tired of his repetitious clichés and any coach that needs to come to a post match presser with a script and / or key words written down that he trots out 20 times in 8 minutes is simply not cutting the mustard. He peaked under Clarkson. A mans got to know his limitations.

Any details on this? Heard it mentioned a couple times now without any explanation of what it was.
Essentially he was a salaried member of staff so they only needed to give him x weeks notice and there would be no massive payout if he was on a 3 year contract and they sacked him a year early, for example.

That's the way I understood it.

Essentially he was a salaried member of staff so they only needed to give him x weeks notice and there would be no massive payout if he was on a 3 year contract and they sacked him a year early, for example.

That's the way I understood it.

Thanks. Nuts if its accurate & Bolton shouldn't have signed up for it. A club has to give a new coach their full backing & part of doing that is X number of years guaranteed I would have thought.

Still when we're talking that sort of money & opportunity, I guess it's often hard to say no.

Thanks. Nuts if its accurate & Bolton shouldn't have signed up for it. A club has to give a new coach their full backing & part of doing that is X number of years guaranteed I would have thought.

Still when we're talking that sort of money & opportunity, I guess it's often hard to say no.

Yes I remember it being an unusual deal at the time.
I assumed it was setup to make it easier to give him the flick in case someone better was available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back