Discussion We had two shocking losses....

Remove this Banner Ad

ChrisFooty

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
But St.kilda have won 7 of their past 9. Very good effort. If we beat Essendon, thats an 8 out of 10.:thumbsu:

Yet with so much negativity, you would of thought St.kilda are struggling.

In retrospect the Pies loss wasnt even that bad, I mean they could well be 4th at the end of this week.

But yeah, Eagles loss was real bad. I guess you can put it down to a bad day though.

Its just the fact that we could have had 4th spot sealed up if we didnt drop those games, thats why theres so much negativity, cos we should be much higher up the ladder.

In retrospect the Pies loss wasnt even that bad, I mean they could well be 4th at the end of this week.

But yeah, Eagles loss was real bad. I guess you can put it down to a bad day though.

Its just the fact that we could have had 4th spot sealed up if we didnt drop those games, thats why theres so much negativity, cos we should be much higher up the ladder.

It is also the way we won badly against a couple of other teams that contributed.

I was pretty negative as well, and happily eating humble pie!

I'm usually pretty positive and am happy that we have won 7 out of the past 9, but we certainly havent been great in the past couple of months.

I reckon we've played a good quarter vs the Kangas, a good half against the Hawks and were pretty good against the Crows.

Throw in a REALLY poor start vs Collingwood and North, a terrible first term vs the Crows and a bad first half vs Freo over there.

We've sneaked home against Freo (at home) and Port.

The West Coast game was a shambles, and that sort of stuff happens from time to time.

The thing is that like all of us here, I think that on our day we can beat anyone but Geelong. Kosi, we need you !!

We did play shite for the Port game too though. But yeah 7 of our last 9 would only be second to Geelong and maybe the Kangas I think so bloody good effort. Unfortunately, like last year, we've left things a little too late.

Has anyone noticed how late in the first and second quarters a number of players are switching off?

I have been getting a real sense that there is something deliberate going on.

I watched more closely (on Sunday) what was going on behind the play, and it seems clear we are trying to contain teams and tire them out in the first half, and then run over them in the second half. How many times did we let the Crows mark 30m in space on the wing (plenty)? We seemed to man up in the second half - I'm starting to notice a trend.

It annoys the s**t out of me (players not leading, or getting out of the "hole", or pushing up to take an opponent), but maybe it actually works?

We had such a big finish to last year, and again this year. The only time we seem to have been caught out is where the other teams can get a flurry of goals in "red time".

I heard this is the way Dave Misson likes to prepare players i.e. to peak coming into September. Whilst it's a "line", many other clubs are playing for the now. We just seemed (earlier in the year) to be happy to get over the line in games rather than play a finals brand of footy.

Now our "style" is starting to evolve into a more attacking game (except early in the contest)?

Maybe one of the guys going to the Essendon game can see what is going on behind play and report? No doubt Pox Footy will be talking about Harry High Pants or one of the retirees until all us Saints fans kick holes in the TV.

what i had noticed at the freo game was the wa they pushed freo wide but allowed them to run all game and always forced them to shoot for goal deep in the pockets.. its a style that seems to dishearten to opp after a while when they keep kicking behinds... or try to center and theres 3 saints players going for the mark

its very sneaky how they do it but its actually quite interesting.. anyone who goes watch out for it

they are actually very spot on with their skills and how they do it even if it looks like theyre playing off their man

Has anyone noticed how late in the first and second quarters a number of players are switching off?

I have been getting a real sense that there is something deliberate going on.

I watched more closely (on Sunday) what was going on behind the play, and it seems clear we are trying to contain teams and tire them out in the first half, and then run over them in the second half. How many times did we let the Crows mark 30m in space on the wing (plenty)? We seemed to man up in the second half - I'm starting to notice a trend.

It annoys the s**t out of me (players not leading, or getting out of the "hole", or pushing up to take an opponent), but maybe it actually works?

We had such a big finish to last year, and again this year. The only time we seem to have been caught out is where the other teams can get a flurry of goals in "red time".

I heard this is the way Dave Misson likes to prepare players i.e. to peak coming into September. Whilst it's a "line", many other clubs are playing for the now. We just seemed (earlier in the year) to be happy to get over the line in games rather than play a finals brand of footy.

Now our "style" is starting to evolve into a more attacking game (except early in the contest)?

Maybe one of the guys going to the Essendon game can see what is going on behind play and report? No doubt Pox Footy will be talking about Harry High Pants or one of the retirees until all us Saints fans kick holes in the TV.

We have been running over the top of teams lately Squiz. Is it due to superior fitness? or the fact that we've sat back and played rope-a-dope with the opposition, letting them punch themselves out? Perhaps a combination of both.
Against a good team (geelong, Bullys, Hawks) we may go into half time 5-6 goals down - effectively game over.

I'll check out the behind the play action on Sunday.

We have been running over the top of teams lately Squiz. Is it due to superior fitness? or the fact that we've sat back and played rope-a-dope with the opposition, letting them punch themselves out? Perhaps a combination of both.
Against a good team (geelong, Bullys, Hawks) we may go into half time 5-6 goals down - effectively game over.

I'll check out the behind the play action on Sunday.
How many goals were we down in the game against Hawks? and we came back there. I don't think that'll work for the Cats, but yeah. The rope-a-dope analogy is just gold though.

I'm usually pretty positive and am happy that we have won 7 out of the past 9, but we certainly havent been great in the past couple of months.

I reckon we've played a good quarter vs the Kangas, a good half against the Hawks and were pretty good against the Crows.

Throw in a REALLY poor start vs Collingwood and North, a terrible first term vs the Crows and a bad first half vs Freo over there.

We've sneaked home against Freo (at home) and Port.

The West Coast game was a shambles, and that sort of stuff happens from time to time.

The thing is that like all of us here, I think that on our day we can beat anyone but Geelong. Kosi, we need you !!

Didn't think the first half against Freo was that bad. At least they were having a red hot go.

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back