List Mgmt. We Have A Bright Future

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm excited to begin again, nothing lasts forever and we had one hell of a ride over the last 6 years, some of our future Premiership stars may already be playing for us now.
I am as well, going to be exciting if we can string some wins together with some new players on the field instead of relying on the old brigade.

The same dumb people who built our 3 time premiership list yeah? What other team has won 3 flags and then contended again straight away besides Geelong?
It’s not easy mate.
So which young players did our dumb people bring in? I admitted they got ready-made players which helped us but failed badly in the drafts. Cory Ellis,Chol,CCJ, and the like. Even the crop we have now are just as bad and we are about to find out how bad next season with all the outgoings that will happen. I know it's not easy no one does but the record is very poor.

So which young players did our dumb people bring in? I admitted they got ready-made players which helped us but failed badly in the drafts. Cory Ellis,Chol,CCJ, and the like. Even the crop we have now are just as bad and we are about to find out how bad next season with all the outgoings that will happen. I know it's not easy no one does but the record is very poor.

Dusty
Astbury
Grimes
Brandon
Vlastuin
McIntosh
Butler
Short
Castagna
Lambert
Soldo
D.Rioli
Broad
Bolton
Graham
Balta
Baker
Pickett

That's 18 premiership players, ranging from a top 3 pick to late round rookies, that Matthew Clarke would have had a hand in drafting since he joined our recruiting department in January 2009. Like any recruiter there have been busts, but the successes certainly make up for it given what they delivered as a collective unit.b

i'm not sure mini is the answer either!! looking at him having to explain to the players on the bench doesnt look like the players are actually buying into what he's saying! im not a lip reader but by body language it looked more argumentative and mini having to explain the system rather than being instructional!
Dimma circa 2016

We have half a dozen youngsters to come in still.
We’re hoping Bradtke can work his way into the team to give us the tall forward we need for the future. Bauer looks very promising as a second or third tall. We’ll be ok. Draft coming up soon. We are miles ahead of west coast. The comp is very even from 6th to 16th. Obviously we aren’t top 4 quality but we can work on that with drafting and game plans
What draft?

We’ve got a good core…we just need to build again. Hopefully we can have a quick bounce and get back to the times when the umps loved us apparently

I've seen those videos. Couple of genuine ones there (JR's grab of the jumper in 2017 GF). But it's weak stuff. Now all the goals of Carlton's FF is great watching - a KPD touched him, free kick. That is hilarious compared to the wrestling JR gets each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen those videos. Couple of genuine ones there (JR's grab of the jumper in 2017 GF). But it's weak stuff. Now all the goals of Carlton's FF is great watching - a KPD touched him, free kick. That is hilarious compared to the wrestling JR gets each week.
i just wished jack gave a backhander to the umps on his on the way out speech

Let's go through line by line then.

Balta - Gibcus - Broad
Short- Vlastuin - Rioli
  • Slow? Not particular I would've thought
  • Can't kick? The players we want kicking the ball can kick, and the players we don't expect to by accurate kicks should be told to kick it down the line
  • Too inexperienced/too old? Has a healthy mix of the two
  • Injury prone? Would be a watch on Short, but that's about it
  • Doing the fundamentals? Other than Balta trying to be too cute with his kicks, all our defenders do the fundamentals well

Ross - Taranto - Banks
Nank - Hopper - Bolton
  • Slow? Has a healthy blend of the two. I don't expect Taranto to be receiving a handball and then bursting out of a stoppage with legs, nor do I expect Bolton at the bottom of a stoppage trying to win a contested ball and clearance.
  • Too inexperienced/too old? Banks sure, but the others? Not so much
  • Injury prone? A watch on Hopper, but that's about it
  • Doing the fundamentals? They all do the fundamentals well, I would think

Baker - Bauer - Rioli Jr
Dusty - Lynch - Cumberland
  • Slow? lol
  • Too inexperienced/too old? Potentially, yes. But players like Rioli Jr and Cumbo aren't 'inexperienced' per se, just lack confidence at AFL level.
  • Injury prone? Possibly Lynch? But like I flagged in my post, that would be the one area where the recruitment team has overlooked, and should obviously be an area we target in the off season.
  • Doing the fundamentals? Baker yes, Lynch yes, Dusty obviously. Will be a watch on Cumbo and MR Jr.

Ryan - Sonsie - Clarke - Brown/Pickett/Young/Grimes/HRS
  • This is obviously the part where we look a little thin, and it would be the bench and the next players in. Sonsie is obviously on the too inexperienced part of the pendulum, but with Hopper, Taranto, Dusty, Bolton all supporting through the middle, I feel like Sonsie's inexperience is ok.
  • Same with Clarke and Brown wherever they're picked.
It's a great theory on paper. And a similar theory give or take that made most of the board bullish about having an awesome year in 2023.

The same dumb people who built our 3 time premiership list yeah? What other team has won 3 flags and then contended again straight away besides Geelong?
It’s not easy mate.
Are they the same people building our list since 2007? No. 2010? No. 2015? No.

Different people.

It's also 'not easy' drafting HBF's for 6 years straight (by measured choice) in lieu of a single Key fwd option, and then reactively shitting the bed in the last 2 years in the mid season drafts.

Who would've thunk????

HOOO. WOOD HUV THUUNNNK?

#backtheclub 🤪

Last edited:
I don’t see us being crap for long. Just feel like we’re a different organisation to what we were many moons ago.
Proven by what crap is to us now. Last year we crap and we made the finals and lost it by a point.

Remember when making finals itself was like a dream. Last year we still got further than every year from 2002-2016, yet we call that crap now.

It's a great theory on paper. And a similar theory give or take that made most of the board bullish about having an awesome year in 2023.
And 2016 and 2017 proves names on paper mean very little. Or Collingwood recently.

The exact same, or close to the same, team can perform wildly different depending on things like coaches, gameplan and belief. All it takes is a little bit of good form and suddenly you look at our list and are wondering how we well fit on these kids in the team at once.

Like we have 5 top 30 picks that are about to go on the 3rd. Generally players take 3-5 seasons to actually start showing something. All it takes is a few of them to do a Jack Ross next year and our team will be far more promising.
Ross didn't even have a massive leap, he just slowly and consistently improved to a best 22 type. And once they hit that then you look at the next 3-5 years they could continue to improve before their peak

And 2016 and 2017 proves names on paper mean very little. Or Collingwood recently.

The exact same, or close to the same, team can perform wildly different depending on things like coaches, gameplan and belief. All it takes is a little bit of good form and suddenly you look at our list and are wondering how we well fit on these kids in the team at once.

Like we have 5 top 30 picks that are about to go on the 3rd. Generally players take 3-5 seasons to actually start showing something. All it takes is a few of them to do a Jack Ross next year and our team will be far more promising.
Ross didn't even have a massive leap, he just slowly and consistently improved to a best 22 type. And once they hit that then you look at the next 3-5 years they could continue to improve before their peak
A very optimistic 100% strike rate proposition which wasn't the case at our recruiting heights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back