List Mgmt. We Have A Bright Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they the same people building our list since 2007? No. 2010? No. 2015? No.

Different people.

It's also 'not easy' drafting HBF's for 6 years straight (by measured choice) in lieu of a single Key fwd option, and then reactively shitting the bed in the last 2 years in the mid season drafts.

Who would've thunk????

HOOO. WOOD HUV THUUNNNK?

#backtheclub 🤪
Matthew Clarke has been a recruiter since January 2009 and Head Recruiter since 2016

The club has unfortunately adopted too much identity politics and wokeness (placing it in the coaching position). Essentially in a brutal competitive sport we can’t have such softness and our decision making culturally is soft. Playing selfish older players who want more glory when it’s clearly been over for 3 years, not playing youth, and being too soft to take on the AFL are big big bears of mine.

Dusty
Astbury
Grimes
Brandon
Vlastuin
McIntosh
Butler
Short
Castagna
Lambert
Soldo
D.Rioli
Broad
Bolton
Graham
Balta
Baker
Pickett

That's 18 premiership players, ranging from a top 3 pick to late round rookies, that Matthew Clarke would have had a hand in drafting since he joined our recruiting department in January 2009. Like any recruiter there have been busts, but the successes certainly make up for it given what they delivered as a collective unit.b
So you saying all came from the same recruiters? We are talking since our 2017 flag and the picks that followed, Again stating youngsters not rethreads which we have been good with. I'm sure you will find prior Frances Jackson was running the show basically on his own so if you include all those names t least give him credit. Also, I stated what youngsters did we get and you include Pickett eg hummm From that list, not one youngster!

So you saying all came from the same recruiters? We are talking since our 2017 flag and the picks that followed, Again stating youngsters not rethreads which we have been good with. I'm sure you will find prior Frances Jackson was running the show basically on his own so if you include all those names t least give him credit. Also, I stated what youngsters did we get and you include Pickett eg hummm From that list, not one youngster!
You asked which players our dumb people brought in and I gave you a list of players that have been drafted while Matthew Clarke, who is currently our head recruiter and would have had a hand in drafting seeing he has been at the club since January 2009.

Apologies if you're talking about post the 2017 flag as it didn't read like that in the post I replied to. As it stands we can't really claim any of the post 2017 players outside of Balta & Baker as successful picks, in part because most of them haven't had the chance to become best 22 regulars. However there are some promising signs from a few of them that hopefully become senior players from next year.

Last edited:
So the bulk of our premiership list was built with a different head recruiter. Thanks for confirming my point.
Different head recruiter yes, but a lot of the same people have been part of the recruitment team since 2009 when Hardwick was appointed as coach, so it's effectively the same recruiting policies being used over the last 14 odd years as we've had Hartley Jackson & Clarke in the main roles over that time.

Different head recruiter yes, but a lot of the same people have been part of the recruitment team since 2009 when Hardwick was appointed as coach, so it's effectively the same recruiting policies being used over the last 14 odd years as we've had Hartley Jackson & Clarke in the main roles over that time.
As we will have a new coach and assistants. Is it worth a full change club wide including recruiting?

As we will have a new coach and assistants. Is it worth a full change club wide including recruiting?

Always good to refresh in all areas of football.

I think Blair Hartley is an asset but definitely a gun head recruiter is needed. Clarke out of his depth leading the department.

Unlike changing coaches and assistants to changes game plan and styles, I think k it's easier to change recruitment policy without changing the actual recruiters. It probably depends on their ability to adapt to and understand the changes in the way the game is being played, if that makes sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond’s recruiting hasn’t been bad at all with Clarke besides the Key Forward hole. For some reason the club isn’t great at identifying tall forward talent in the draft but are quite good in identifying talent in other positions. I mean whoever identified Cumberland is doing alright - the guy has all the attributes to be a superstar he should be given every game next season. Dos also has some talent.
I reckon the main gripe with bringing in Hopper is that we would come up short in strengthening the forward line. Hopper as a player is worth the pick traded for

The most frustrating thing is if the club read the writing on the wall after the Bombers game where I knew our season was gone, we'd have games into a number of kids on the list and we'd be no worse off for it, still missing finals, still no first rounder, but still not as bad as Eagles or North.

We'd be a lot further in our development mode this off season if we'd seen Brown, Banks, Coulthard, Bauer, Cumberland, Ryan, Clarke, Sonsie, Dow, Miller Biggy, Tresize, etc. half a dozen more times each.

The most frustrating thing is if the club read the writing on the wall after the Bombers game where I knew our season was gone, we'd have games into a number of kids on the list and we'd be no worse off for it, still missing finals, still no first rounder, but still not as bad as Eagles or North.

We'd be a lot further in our development mode this off season if we'd seen Brown, Banks, Coulthard, Bauer, Cumberland, Ryan, Clarke, Sonsie, Dow, Miller Biggy, Tresize, etc. half a dozen more times each.
Richmond should appoint a more experienced coach to take the brunt of the first two years of the rebuild and then a coach like McQualter. I’ve got nothing against McQualter and reckon he wouldn’t be worse than any other coach but the pressure of being at Richmond the net couple of years will be huge

Richmond should appoint a more experienced coach to take the brunt of the first two years of the rebuild and then a coach like McQualter. I’ve got nothing against McQualter and reckon he wouldn’t be worse than any other coach but the pressure of being at Richmond the net couple of years will be huge

I agree with that if there was someone who fit that mould. Someone with the balls to help the big list decisions that need to be made. Would that appeal to anyone? Sheedys gig at GWS looked like a thankless task knowing he wouldnt be in charge of the good times that would follow his grunt work.

I was wondering as to contracts. New coach will be offered no more than three years and yet they may feel that is not enough time to get the change that will see us moving up the ladder.

Doesnt matter who coaches us for the next two years. We are bottom six in both those years. There will be pressure on a first time coach.

I agree with that if there was someone who fit that mould. Someone with the balls to help the big list decisions that need to be made. Would that appeal to anyone? Sheedys gig at GWS looked like a thankless task knowing he wouldnt be in charge of the good times that would follow his grunt work.

I was wondering as to contracts. New coach will be offered no more than three years and yet they may feel that is not enough time to get the change that will see us moving up the ladder.

Doesnt matter who coaches us for the next two years. We are bottom six in both those years. There will be pressure on a first time coach.
Thats Adam Simpson on a 2 year deal then.

Would make the tough calls for the rebuild and have the balls to sit through bottom 4 years if required.

With our drafting starting in round 2 this year, and some of our depth questionable and with so many retirements I think this year we should look at free agents, silvagni to replace Jack, and paddy Dow for a low draft pick (or has he been a delisted free agent?) To replace cotchin as a start are the two I'd go for. Then tarrant and castagna retirements and maybe a delisting is 3 draft picks.

Beyond that if anyone else wants to leave like a soldo or graham we replace them with their value in a draft pick. New couch will cost less so development coach will be important

2021 Picks 9, 17, 28 Ladder 12th
2022 Picks 44 Ladder 7th
2023 Picks 28, 47, 65 2023 Ladder 13th or 11th

With our drafting starting in round 2 this year, and some of our depth questionable and with so many retirements I think this year we should look at free agents, silvagni to replace Jack, and paddy Dow for a low draft pick (or has he been a delisted free agent?) To replace cotchin as a start are the two I'd go for. Then tarrant and castagna retirements and maybe a delisting is 3 draft picks.

Beyond that if anyone else wants to leave like a soldo or graham we replace them with their value in a draft pick. New couch will cost less so development coach will be important
We don't need rejects we need to put some players with currency on the trade table and get in to the draft it's not rocket science club needs to be brave and make hard calls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back