We have Voss, now we have the Assistants...

Remove this Banner Ad

If Barker wasn't problematic, why did he leave as soon as we announced the review.

It seemed very much that as he had been there long time and had strong relationships with older players, he was seen to be undermining Teague.

He had already decided to move on before the review. Once he told the club higher ups decided to move him on straight away. Teague actually wanted him to stay till the end of the year.

I personally think alot of the criticism of Barker is overblown. I'm not saying he is a great coach but you don't stay in the industry for 15 years just because you are a nice guy.

Yeah, lets bring in an alleged drug trafficker to help shape a young team...
Cook would be able to assess him much better than you or I. Reformed people can be the best advocates against their previous addiction- if they are genuinely reformed.
There is no doubt he had the footy nous back in the day. Could be ideal in a mentorship role IF cook judges it to be a good idea.

Cook would be able to assess him much better than you or I. Reformed people can be the best advocates against their previous addiction- if they are genuinely reformed.
There is no doubt he had the footy nous back in the day. Could be ideal in a mentorship role IF cook judges it to be a good idea.
I'd be more concerned about how long out of the game he's been.
Will be hard enough for the likes of Solomon.

Thats true, but if you listen to cook he is big on leadership. Putting people with great leadership in all areas of the club. Bombers leadership would be a huge support to Voss and give us part of the Flatter coaching structure that seems to be the successful model in the afl.
Let the line coaches bring in their up to date IP on the current game, Bomber as a senior mentor ticks a lot of boxes.But to repeat, he would have to get past Cook the ultimate gate keeper first.

If Barker wasn't problematic, why did he leave as soon as we announced the review.

It seemed very much that as he had been there long time and had strong relationships with older players, he was seen to be undermining Teague.

We lost all our assistants, were they all undermining Teague? Who here would know.

From what I heard, Baker and Teague saw the game differently, if conversations were robust/healthy, great, if they weren't, then you need change

I found a comment from an ITK interesting, something along the lines of Barker being one of the most excited that Stocker kicked his first goal

Anyway not defending or potting any assistant, just find the opinions interesting when they are so extreme in one direction

We lost all our assistants, were they all undermining Teague? Who here would know.

From what I heard, Baker and Teague saw the game differently, if conversations were robust/healthy, great, if they weren't, then you need change

I found a comment from an ITK interesting, something along the lines of Barker being one of the most excited that Stocker kicked his first goal

Anyway not defending or potting any assistant, just find the opinions interesting when they are so extreme in one direction
I was making a correlation between an immediate departure and rumoured tensions.

When someone resigns and is going to a competitor, they are often removed from the premises on the same day. A coach leaving the day of the review is not a good sign.

Gee wiz it's getting grim in here if we are talking about Bomber the drug trafficker.

Get Cook on the phone to Chocco, Ayres, Yze, King, Buckley or Scarlett. Get the best in.

Gee wiz it's getting grim in here if we are talking about Bomber the drug trafficker.

Get Cook on the phone to Chocco, Ayres, Yze, King, Buckley or Scarlett. Get the best in.
Listening to Cook in the interview the club posted today on the website, he said his gonna have a major say in the supporting team that surrounds Vossy, that gave me confidence we will bring in the right people. I have no idea who but hopefully we find out this week

I was making a correlation between an immediate departure and rumoured tensions.

When someone resigns and is going to a competitor, they are often removed from the premises on the same day. A coach leaving the day of the review is not a good sign.

He stated prior to the resignation that it would be his last year, again, every other assistant that was out of contract was moved on. Bruce was retained, yet he resigned, only difference, it was end of year

Back to my original post, we were 5th for average clearances before Barker departed, 15th end of year

Did the quality of clearance improve? Not from my end

So, buck starts and stops with the head coach

But, it's now time to move on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats true, but if you listen to cook he is big on leadership. Putting people with great leadership in all areas of the club. Bombers leadership would be a huge support to Voss and give us part of the Flatter coaching structure that seems to be the successful model in the afl.
Let the line coaches bring in their up to date IP on the current game, Bomber as a senior mentor ticks a lot of boxes.But to repeat, he would have to get past Cook the ultimate gate keeper first.
Agreed but any mentor-based roles need to either have a hands-on role as their primary function or just be part-time/on-call.
Voss won't be needing a mentor on a day-to-day basis.

Not sure what assistants are available but we need quality and experience around Voss.

Would have liked Cook working now so he could work his magic and bring people across.

As it is I would be more than happy with Hamill (has left StKilda) and Gary Ayres (Choco Williams type role). If we could snaffle two highly rated younger coaches/ex-players like a Gia/Hodge/Burgoyne?Kingsley (probably won't come after missing the head coach role) I would be extremely happy.

Voss
Power
Ayres
Hamill
Gia
Burgoyne

I like it..

Not sure what assistants are available but we need quality and experience around Voss.

Would have liked Cook working now so he could work his magic and bring people across.

As it is I would be more than happy with Hamill (has left StKilda) and Gary Ayres (Choco Williams type role). If we could snaffle two highly rated younger coaches/ex-players like a Gia/Hodge/Burgoyne?Kingsley (probably won't come after missing the head coach role) I would be extremely happy.

Voss
Power
Ayres
Hamill
Gia
Burgoyne

I like it..

Is that the other Burgoyne brother - Moes Burgoyne ?? (Shaun signed with Adelaide hasn't he ??)

Is that the other Burgoyne brother - Moes Burgoyne ?? (Shaun signed with Adelaide hasn't he ??)
Hadn't heard that. My point was that it would be good to have a team of coaches with a contrasting range of experience and skills. Young - highly regarded assistants, recently retired ex-premiership players (Hodge/Burgoyne/Lewis etc), experienced coaches (Ayres).

Teague's assistants were all similar in experience and age - Amos, Bruce, Barker etc..Not enough contrasting views/experience.

Surprised Jaymie Graham hasn't been confirmed to Freo. Perhaps we're talking? (Or others are)

I don't think this is a thing. Footy, despite the afls constant tinkering is still footy. Coaches don't have the game go past them, they lose their motivation and desire and can't do the 5am to 9pm days anymore.

If any coach who's been out of the game a few years is able willing and wanting to put the work in then they'll be fine wrt football 'going past them'

You would think guys like Gia and Kingsley would stay at their existing clubs given it, as mark Harvey said, it's not a head job :D

Therefore the scope is limited to:

- Coaches at other clubs on their way down or near the bottom who want to get on the Carlton train and see it as an exciting prospect with a big Melbourne club (e.g coaches at GWS, Gold Coast, North even Adelaide.)

- Ex-teammates of Vossy who want to team up and help a mate.

- Untried assistants - again with Cooke and the right panel we could unearth some gems.

- The unemployed (Ayres, Hamill ??)

You would think guys like Gia and Kingsley would stay at their existing clubs given it, as mark Harvey said, it's not a head job :D

Therefore the scope is limited to:

- Coaches at other clubs on their way down or near the bottom who want to get on the Carlton train and see it as an exciting prospect with a big Melbourne club (e.g coaches at GWS, Gold Coast, North even Adelaide.)

- Ex-teammates of Vossy who want to team up and help a mate.

- Untried assistants - again with Cooke and the right panel we could unearth some gems.

- The unemployed (Ayres, Hamill ??)
Gia may want a reasonably successful run at a second club to boost his Head coaching aspirations. Generally clubs like you having more than 1 club on the resume. I think it's one of the reasons assistants do jump around a bit.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Barker was the one assistant advocating for Teague to shelve his kamikaze gameplan for something more sustainable :p

Gia may want a reasonably successful run at a second club to boost his Head coaching aspirations. Generally clubs like you having more than 1 club on the resume. I think it's one of the reasons assistants do jump around a bit.

You're right but Gia has only been at Essendon for 1 year, and helped get Essendon to finals...basically Essendon is that club you're talking about.

But there might be other highly rated assistants who have been at their club for at least a few years who might be open to a change to build their resume.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back