We have Voss, now we have the Assistants...

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He got lucky with his first year at Lions (most would agree) and even luckier to win the elimination final against us if you remember (came back from 5 goals down to beat us in the last quarter).
Did some massive damage to his club losing some club champions through very flawed trading philosophies.
We know how Fev trade worked out and the results at the Lions the next few years.
Was given the flick after 4 consecutive years of failure. Took Brisbane about another 3 years to start to finally recover and become a contender.

Don't know much about his time at Port but he missed 2014 their best year (probably until even now).
Think 2020 was a compromised year due to shortened games, season and everything else. (point in case- Carlton almost beat Port mid season and we didnt even make the finals...)
So in truth how much success has he actually had?
Not an awful lot. Champion player, unproven as senior coach.

Happy that you are so confident in his ability to turn things around as a "proven coach" without training wheels. But to me he is still another massive risk with maybe even less credentials than someone like Bolton.

Time will tell and as I said I am the first to hope to beproven wrong, just not sure it will happen.

Cheers
You need to take a better look at his time and situation in brisbane. Seriously.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Bottom line is Michael Voss was a bad senior coach in his stint at the Lions and coached them to their worst results in 10+ years until before the Leigh Matthews era ( dont believe me, look it up yourself).
Very excited. Surround Michael with the right coaches and back him in ffs.

In case it was missed and to get it early in this thread. This was posted on our board on Tuesday.

Seriously read the post RPCB has shown here in his post (click the arrow go to rcpb's post to then see the one quoted). You'll learn plenty.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Voss wasn’t in our top three choices. He was the last man standing which filled Sayers’ criteria.
He ain’t perfect - but he’s making the right noises so far. Dwelling on his past is irrelevant now.
We didn't have a top 3.

We had a top 1 (Clarkson, who wouldn't have him first) and then a process to answer the question if not clarkson, then who? The Ross noise was media noise, he refused to enter the process to see if he'd be that choice or not. Voss came out first in the process. So excluding Clarko he was and is option 1.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
We didn't have a top 3.

We had a top 1 (Clarkson, who wouldn't have him first) and then a process to answer the question if not clarkson, then who? The Ross noise was media noise, he refused to enter the process to see if he'd be that choice or not. Voss came out first in the process. So excluding Clarko he was and is option 1.

As you seem to know that we didn't have a top 3 you may be able to tell us who was actually (apart from Kingsley) interviewed as part of that process?

The Ross noise actually reached crescendo when Sayers, himself, said that he'd had a 40 minute phone call with the man. It was also widely reported that Sayers had also approached Buckley before the panel was even selected and doesn't take a great stretch of imagination to think we may have made initial approaches to Brad Scott and Pyke, pretty sure both were linked in rumour from very early on.

You may believe what you want but I would not be at all surprised if Voss fell outside our top 3 at the beginning of this. I'm not afraid to say that he was well outside mine FWIW.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
As you seem to know that we didn't have a top 3 you may be able to tell us who was actually (apart from Kingsley) interviewed as part of that process?

The Ross noise actually reached crescendo when Sayers, himself, said that he'd had a 40 minute phone call with the man. It was also widely reported that Sayers had also approached Buckley before the panel was even selected and doesn't take a great stretch of imagination to think we may have made initial approaches to Brad Scott and Pyke, pretty sure both were linked in rumour from very early on.

You may believe what you want but I would not be at all surprised if Voss fell outside our top 3 at the beginning of this. I'm not afraid to say that he was well outside mine FWIW.
Well that's it then. Voss was outside your top 3. We are doomed. Thankfully we have people like you who are not afraid to say it to help out the likes of "us".

I'll sleep better tonight thanks to your fearless opinions.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Well that's it then. Voss was outside your top 3. We are doomed. Thankfully we have people like you who are not afraid to say it to help out the likes of "us".

I'll sleep better tonight thanks to your fearless opinions.

Happy that I can help you sleep, you must be a far more passionate Carlton supporter than I who feel suitably chastised for having the audacity to have an opinion that may differ from yours or the mainstream.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy that I can help you sleep, you must be a far more passionate Carlton supporter than I who feel suitably chastised for having the audacity to have an opinion that may differ from yours or the mainstream.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It's just the sanctimonious Derryn Hinch truth trailblazer thing that does my head in.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees

Sayers was making calls to get people into the process, as you can imagine Clarko would have scared all of them off and had them all in the headspace of wasting their time.

I don’t think Sayers was ever confident himself with Clarko, he was plan A and plan B was getting who we could as experienced coaches to join the process which would have been a tough process in itself to be fair.

If Ross decided he wanted to do the process he may have come up trumps, certainly would have been favourite anyway but he didn’t want to do the process so effectively never a candidate

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don't get all the moaning about Voss as coach..
He has been chosen by the committee as the best available choice, it's about time we all supported a Carlton coach...

Personally I'm looking forward to what Voss and his carefully selected team can get out of our group...
Love that the focus is going to be on development, high performance, a game plan focus on team defence and 2 way running...

With
  • Sayers and his team
  • Cooke and his team
  • Voss and his team
  • Austin and his team
Think the club is in the best position it has been in for 20+ years...

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
We didn't have a top 3.

Except that Sayers himself had a 45 minute conversation with him before the final "process" began.
We approached others well before Voss was even part of the "process".
No way was Voss our preferred option, even after Clarkson bowed out. There wasn't a single process, moreso random conversations which went nowhere and forced us to do something resembling modern recruitment.
Voss was the one left standing who could justify Sayers' stance of needing an experienced coach. Whatever the circumstances, I hope he does good things.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Voss wasn't our preferred candidate, but that doesn't mean he isn't the best fit for the club.

He was clearly the most invested in the position and jumped into the recruitment process, with all that that entailed. His excitement about being back in a senior job is pretty palpable and Sayers was clearly very happy at the appointment conference.

Maybe we did or didn't handle the recruitment process perfectly, but it's almost impossible to do with so many moving parts. The coaching landscape changes quickly, and we had to move on one senior coach and recruit another in the same tiny span of time - that takes a lot of effort, a hell of a lot of conversations, while attempting to minimise the number of leaks and remain respectful to all parties involved.

We've been criticised pretty broadly over the past 3 months over the 'process' but I can't pinpoint anything we'd have done differently.

I did. Thank You.

That was very insightful and definitely shed light on his previous tenure at Brisbane and gave a whole new perspective.

Thanks for that
No-one says this here. Ever.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Voss wasn't our preferred candidate, but that doesn't mean he isn't the best fit for the club.

He was clearly the most invested in the position and jumped into the recruitment process, with all that that entailed. His excitement about being back in a senior job is pretty palpable and Sayers was clearly very happy at the appointment conference.

Maybe we did or didn't handle the recruitment process perfectly, but it's almost impossible to do with so many moving parts. The coaching landscape changes quickly, and we had to move on one senior coach and recruit another in the same tiny span of time - that takes a lot of effort, a hell of a lot of conversations, while attempting to minimise the number of leaks and remain respectful to all parties involved.

We've been criticised pretty broadly over the past 3 months over the 'process' but I can't pinpoint anything we'd have done differently.
At one stage I felt the whole process was at a breaking point and getting out of control.

However upon reflection, we did not really deviate at all. It was always in the same direction and always in control.

Where things started to look from the outside that it is not managed properly is when experienced coaches kept dropping out. However apart from Clarkson, they all needed to go through the process and those that were not willing, were not the candidate. Losing control is when you go away from your process to go with someone like Lyon.

We sounded as many experienced coaches as possible. This shows a sign of a good process. You can see that from the get go, the instruction would have been go to everyone, whether they be current coaches, legend coaches, experienced etc. and ask whether they'd put their hat in the ring. It wasn't going to be "here you go, here's the keys".

I feel Voss ticks more criteria than anyone else.

So to say Voss wasn't our preferred candidate, I don't believe it's true. Put Clarkson aside, the preferred candidate needs to tick the most amount of boxes.... and Voss did that.

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
At one stage I felt the whole process was at a breaking point and getting out of control.

However upon reflection, we did not really deviate at all. It was always in the same direction and always in control.

Where things started to look from the outside that it is not managed properly is when experienced coaches kept dropping out. However apart from Clarkson, they all needed to go through the process and those that were not willing, were not the candidate. Losing control is when you go away from your process to go with someone like Lyon.

We sounded as many experienced coaches as possible. This shows a sign of a good process. You can see that from the get go, the instruction would have been go to everyone, whether they be current coaches, legend coaches, experienced etc. and ask whether they'd put their hat in the ring. It wasn't going to be "here you go, here's the keys".

So to say Voss wasn't our preferred candidate, I don't believe it's true. Put Clarkson aside, the preferred candidate needs to tick the most amount of boxes.... and Voss did that.

It was all worth it for the morning that Ross pulled out - some of the best melts on here in years

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
It was all worth it for the morning that Ross pulled out - some of the best melts on here in years

And the majority of those who melted then got back on the Clarkson fantasy train even though he’d said multiple times he was having a break and was never ever contemplating anything but that break…then they melted again

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

I suspect we would have regretted appointing Lyon.

Might have been a decent coach, but not the right fit for the club or the squad.

Maybe we’d have copped a couple of prelim finals, but his game style hasn’t held up to getting over the final hurdle in September (4x) and it also doesn’t work as a sustainable method in the long term. Once his teams have exited their window it is a long time until they contend again.

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Think we all know vossy was a rear guard face saving option for Sayers. Basically Vossy met the criteria… just :).

Doesnt mean I’m upset about the Voss appointment. I like the fact he has failed once As he can learn from this. I don’t like the fact that he hasn’t moved around much.

I like the fact that it could just be good timing and dumb luck for success this time around.

Im ok with just giving him a go too. No real hate here, just hoping.

What am I looking for in 6 months time:
  • Finding a replacement for Plowman

As Voldemort said when Neville Longbottom stepped forward - was hoping for better:p

:p

Apr 24, 2007
at home
AFL Club
Carlton
Except that Sayers himself had a 45 minute conversation with him before the final "process" began.
We approached others well before Voss was even part of the "process".
No way was Voss our preferred option, even after Clarkson bowed out. There wasn't a single process, moreso random conversations which went nowhere and forced us to do something resembling modern recruitment.
Voss was the one left standing who could justify Sayers' stance of needing an experienced coach. Whatever the circumstances, I hope he does good things.
This is all just guess work. No one outside of the selection panel and sayers knows what was said and how it unfolded.
The media speculation was just that.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
We didn't have a top 3.

Voss wasn't in the preferred top 3, but that doesn't mean he is of lesser quality

Clarko, Lyon, Scott were sounded out heavily, as were a number of other candidates

Last edited:
Back