We have Voss, now we have the Assistants...

Remove this Banner Ad

If that would have been enough he would probably have had a go.
Sayers’ unilateral coach search was a complete failure.
If Sayers and the board had determined the process together and were on the same page, I think Lyon would be our coach today.
When it was clear that the goalposts were still moving, Lyon pulled out.

If Sayers and the board had determined the process together and were on the same page, I think Lyon would be our coach today.
Lyon still practicing the rhythm method.

How do you know?

Sayers reached out to some personal contacts of which Lyon was one. Lyon in his universe might of taken that reach out as a wink wink nudge nudge that the job is yours if you want it... what they discussed in private we will never know but Sayers did publicly say their would be a coaching selection panel and process.

Ross should've gone through the process, surely some hard questions relating to his tenure at Freo could've been simply worded as due to the necessary settlement entailed I can not speak of details, but I can assure you through investigations and on my word that nothing beyond board occureed.

Either the committee accepted and believed him, or moved on. Lyon to me wanted to save face and didn't want to be viewed as being "rejected" for the role as people and media would make the assumption it had to do with Freo. Ego and Pride bit him on the arse here... we have Voss, he went through the process... guarantee he got asked hard questions about what happened at Brisbane, and the whole crazy Vossy period of his life.

We go on about how Ross would build a tough culture for us... well I think Voss bringing about characteristics of knowing his sh## don't smell of roses, you can fail but pick yourself up and learn from it, respect and do the team things and success will follow will hopefully bring about the culture we seek as opposed to what I feel would be the hard totalitarian approach Ross may have brought.

Voss wasn’t in our top three choices. He was the last man standing which filled Sayers’ criteria.
He ain’t perfect - but he’s making the right noises so far. Dwelling on his past is irrelevant now.

Except that Sayers himself had a 45 minute conversation with him before the final "process" began.
We approached others well before Voss was even part of the "process".
No way was Voss our preferred option, even after Clarkson bowed out. There wasn't a single process, moreso random conversations which went nowhere and forced us to do something resembling modern recruitment.
Voss was the one left standing who could justify Sayers' stance of needing an experienced coach. Whatever the circumstances, I hope he does good things.

He would have had the president’s support.

You know all of the above how?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know all of the above how?

Sayers is not the one who has the ultimate power and say as to how is appointed coach, that is not how football club boards operate these days.

Clearly there had been some red flags about Ross Lyon and his conduct with female employees at Fremantle with some board members, but I personally believe (without knowing any of the details) that Lyon publicly spruking for the job whilst Teague hadn't yet been officially terminated is probably what set Ross's fate and turned the board and coaching committee off him in the end.

That or Ross's somewhat stubborn and inflexible attitude to be able communicate and work with others is probably what cost him the job in the end.

Sayers reached out to some personal contacts of which Lyon was one. Lyon in his universe might of taken that reach out as a wink wink nudge nudge that the job is yours if you want it... what they discussed in private we will never know but Sayers did publicly say their would be a coaching selection panel and process.

Ross should've gone through the process, surely some hard questions relating to his tenure at Freo could've been simply worded as due to the necessary settlement entailed I can not speak of details, but I can assure you through investigations and on my word that nothing beyond board occureed.

Either the committee accepted and believed him, or moved on. Lyon to me wanted to save face and didn't want to be viewed as being "rejected" for the role as people and media would make the assumption it had to do with Freo. Ego and Pride bit him on the arse here... we have Voss, he went through the process... guarantee he got asked hard questions about what happened at Brisbane, and the whole crazy Vossy period of his life.

We go on about how Ross would build a tough culture for us... well I think Voss bringing about characteristics of knowing his sh## don't smell of roses, you can fail but pick yourself up and learn from it, respect and do the team things and success will follow will hopefully bring about the culture we seek as opposed to what I feel would be the hard totalitarian approach Ross may have brought.
Yep. I couldn't care less if Voss was preferred 1st choice or 20th. He went through the process and answered the hard questions, and therefore showed a lot of mental resilience and character to do so, having been seen as 'failed' before. I'm happy with the selection.

I have heard via a source close to Brad Scott that he was extremely close to being our senior coach, had he not taken the AFL role (given Clarkson didn’t eventuate).

This was also supported via separate information that came via our CEO that Scott and Voss were the backups if Clarkson chose to take up his gardening leave (the info didn’t specify who was preferred of those 2).

Sayers is not the one who has the ultimate power and say as to how is appointed coach, that is not how football club boards operate these days.

Clearly there had been some red flags about Ross Lyon and his conduct with female employees at Fremantle with some board members, but I personally believe (without knowing any of the details) that Lyon publicly spruking for the job whilst Teague hadn't yet been officially terminated is probably what set Ross's fate and turned the board and coaching committee off him in the end.

That or Ross's somewhat stubborn and inflexible attitude to be able communicate and work with others is probably what cost him the job in the end.

Not the question I posed to bigblueboy Elmer.

Why do you feel it really necessary to bring up Ross's 'alleged' conduct at Fremantle every time you mention him.

Wise to accept Voss is the coach and desist in the what if's etc. We don't want the spectre to Clarko, Ross, Scotts hovering over the clubs heads much like the "training wheels" thing did, gives the Slobos of the world food.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back