We have Voss, now we have the Assistants...

Remove this Banner Ad

I had Voss as my third choice ... from rumblings inside the club that I have gleaned from big footy the club, the administration, the coaching staff and most importantly the players all seem to be on the same page. First time in 20 years I reckon.

Who cares if Voss wasn’t first choice, last choice or last man standing .... guy was an out and out champion, inspirational leader, has coached, swallowed his medicine, got better and is chomping at the bit.

He will leave no stone unturned. That’s what vibe I get about him.

I will defend him until he becomes indefensible .... just as I did Teague...... good bloke terrible senior coach, wish him well at RFC

What's the point of potting Voss or claiming someone else was almost our coach? Voss is our coach.

How about backing him in? At least wait till there's some data to judge.

He's currently the oy Carlton coach who's undefeated. Is that worth anything or not?

Maybe wait till he's coached a couple of games before making sweeping statements.

I know you mean well but gee I hope we wait more than a 'couple of games' before the pitchforks come out o_O

Was listening to an interview with Vossy from a couple of years ago. Leigh Matthews clearly his biggest influence but also spoke very highly of his time under Robert Walls and what he learnt from him.

May be an opportunity for Wallsy to be an informal mentor/sounding board for Vossy and be back involved at the club. One would suspect the tactical side of the game has gone past him but he is a tough bastard.

Voss is now a very experienced coach. He is a champion of the game, somewhat under rated by many when comparative discussions of past champions come up. Despite being seduced by the quick fix (and realistically, do we know if it was MV or senior management who chased Fev and co.?) he actually coached Brisbane better than history gives him credit for. Nine seasons and a lot of learnings later, please do not doubt his ability to operate “unsupervised” as head coach.

We have put together a very experienced group of assistants, all with plenty of strings to their respective bows. Diesel Williams is taking a hands on role overseeing our footy department and can be a sounding board. I dare say his lack of humility won’t allow Diesel to be backward in coming forward should there be a need. Then there is CEO Cook, arguably the highest profile man manager in the footy world who is now running the whole shooting match.

Vossy is fine, we don’t need to concoct some Mickey Mouse outside mentorship for him. We have moved on from the training wheels across the footy department and the wannabe omnipotent Marketing Manager come CEO removing all obstacles to his empire while surrounding himself with pliable yes men opposed to leaders and achievers.

This board needs to dump the negativity and doubt. We are on the way back. The bonus is that with the talent and now reasonable level of experience we have, that journey back is a relatively short one. Be patient for a couple of months and enjoy the ride thereafter.

I think we really do need to eventually move beyond the wallsy type of mentor - yep, club champ, premiership coach and vastly knowledgeable etc but this is 2021/2 and as much as a lot of the ideas and concepts are the same as they were in his day, we need to create our now - besides he must be done with it

Voss is now a very experienced coach. He is a champion of the game, somewhat under rated by many when comparative discussions of past champions come up. Despite being seduced by the quick fix (and realistically, do we know if it was MV or senior management who chased Fev and co.?) he actually coached Brisbane better than history gives him credit for. Nine seasons and a lot of learnings later, please do not doubt his ability to operate “unsupervised” as head coach.

We have put together a very experienced group of assistants, all with plenty of strings to their respective bows. Diesel Williams is taking a hands on role overseeing our footy department and can be a sounding board. I dare say his lack of humility won’t allow Diesel to be backward in coming forward should there be a need. Then there is CEO Cook, arguably the highest profile man manager in the footy world who is now running the whole shooting match.

Vossy is fine, we don’t need to concoct some Mickey Mouse outside mentorship for him. We have moved on from the training wheels across the footy department and the wannabe omnipotent Marketing Manager come CEO removing all obstacles to his empire while surrounding himself with pliable yes men opposed to leaders and achievers.

This board needs to dump the negativity and doubt. We are on the way back. The bonus is that with the talent and now reasonable level of experience we have, that journey back is a relatively short one. Be patient for a couple of months and enjoy the ride thereafter.
That was a nice read Coona. Looking forward to next season. I am actually excited about the Voss, Williams, Cook, dynamic has a good feel about it for some reason that I can't put my finger on but I didn't get with the past two regimes. Probably the experience across the board. It seems a very level headed, engaged and excited management / coaching group. Don't think we can underestimate the Cook appointment.

Am sitting at the great Northern catching up on some work over a pint with the Jesulenko screamer framed behind me and Judd's autographed guernsey to the left. Would be nice to update the memorabilia in here with some modern day exploits of stature!!

There's also something to observe about his age. Whilst Ross has more runs on the board how many coaches win their FIRST premiership in their 50s?

Most premiership in the last 2 decades since perhaps leigh and sheedy have won in in that late 30s to mid 40s age.

Maybe there's a hunger, energy and sharpness that the younger guys have. Maybe the newer coaches are more likely to be cutting edge then trying the proven status quo.

With 17 other clubs trying to be the best we need someone whi can hold their own and be leading edge to maximise our chances of clinchimg the flag.

I really like Voss' appointment.

I've been given more leeway? What, you are suggesting I should be punished for posts which are critical of the club? Funnily enough I've been banned twice in recent months so that's probably an indication that I'm not getting any special treatment. Who decides that one poster or group of posters deserve more or less "leeway" because of their stance or view anyway? One thing I know for sure - it certainly is not you.

Lumped in with the naysayers? So you are saying critical posters should be categorised and victimised for having an opinion or posting information? When were you appointed to fulfil this role? Without reading the site rules, I'm just going to guess that you haven't indeed been appointed to the poster categorisation management position and take my chances that other posters might be prepared to be more open-minded rather than the Chinese-government style approach of punishing or removing the dissenters that you are suggesting.

You know the exact reason why and it had nothing to do with being critical of the Club.

Let it go and move on!

I'm backing them all in to shine for the club.

I'm not too sure about defensive game plans....but we do have a few hard and strong players now at the club.

Im a little concerned we are going to focus too much on defence and ball movement will suffer - I just hope we can isolate H one on one like Teague did.

I'm backing them all in to shine for the club.

I'm not too sure about defensive game plans....but we do have a few hard and strong players now at the club.

Im a little concerned we are going to focus too much on defence and ball movement will suffer - I just hope we can isolate H one on one like Teague did.

I’d like to think with a will instilled to defend, and the holes in our defence hopefully plugged, our ball movement will actually improve.

Our foot skills certainly need brushing up. Hopefully Diesel is back on deck with the skills, and the new coaches can impart their bit for improvement on that front.

Our defenders actually are some of our better kicks with Weiters, ZW, Saad, Jones (at times), Plow and Newman (can have his moments as well).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you mean well but gee I hope we wait more than a 'couple of games' before the pitchforks come out o_O
unless they’re the celebratory pitchforks, because we’re doing so well. Those are a thing, right?
“We’re two rounds in and everything is going f****** great, maybe I’ll go loosen some soil”

We’re also in a situation where all the assistants have coached their own team.

Voss: Brisbane
Hanson: WBD VFL
Hamill: Sandringham
Clarke: Coburg/Richmond VFL
Power: AFL Academy
O’Keefe: Carlton VFL

Being the coach of the AFL Academy isn’t quite the same as having a regular team, but it’s probably got other benefits in terms of experience, particularly around development which is obviously Power’s thing.

Funny that all we heard was brad Lloyd is terrible for the club, has no idea, is a cancer etc, yet he is being praised by nearly all inside the club…
I think the knock on Lloyd is that he got the job because he was mates with Liddle. I think if he is still at the club at the end of this year we will know if he is competent

Funny that all we heard was brad Lloyd is terrible for the club, has no idea, is a cancer etc, yet he is being praised by nearly all inside the club…
Prob leads to the point that the review was executed properly and was not just a witch hunt. It did seem Liddle and Lloyd were a two headed hydra and that was the general narrative. I was convinced Lloyd would go as well yet the fact he has stayed in the face of the review there must be quite a bit there in terms of competency / positive contribution. He does not come across as the most inspirational bloke going around, however he might have just been unable to do his job free from interference or something. Good luck to him.

I think the knock on Lloyd is that he got the job because he was mates with Liddle. I think if he is still at the club at the end of this year we will know if he is competent
Which was a narrative formed to explain away the existence certain factions that existed within the club a few years ago..
The fact that he's still at the club now, following our cleanout, should tell you all you need to know.

I was a bit sceptical of Voss and then Hamill but as the coaching group has come together I’m now agnostic
I’ve been burned by the false peaks to often bought into the hype around Teague
But I do enjoy the positive posts ide like to believe it all clicks and we make a real impact at the start of the season
But new coaches new game plan new players I’m thinking 6 to 8 weeks might be good time to draw conclusions.Trying to quell my natural optimism so my lower expectations can shield me from disappointment
My fear is we pick a slider at 25 a gun with highlights to match
They open up training and we get reports of incredible ball movement defensive structures
Amazing synergy in the midfield
I see Harry at my local running track looking like Usain Bolt
Then a few of you blokes harp on how our players are just in the right age bracket
Then I’m done my unbridled enthusiasm for the club will erupt into unrealistic expectations and I’ll be disappointed

This group always needed two way runners. It was as obvious as it could get. We have had the worst midfield for 10 years.

I am hoping we got the balance on the list right this time. Looks like we have - blame coaches all you want but without two way runners in a low ranked midfield not much you can do can only play to your lists strengths,

I’ve been checking the clubs website daily for an update on this appointment, only conclusion I can draw is our social media team are having a week or two off after a busy year as Mr Greaves commenced today. Appreciate we have content up from this week from the VFLW, but they may be different operators and even the recent AFL related articles up are direct copy and pastes / quotes from stories a couple of weeks old. It’s clear I’ve thought about this too deeply 🙈

Perhaps because not a frontline assistant or senior executive?
View attachment 1272136

Remove this Banner Ad

Back