The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be hard to replace him as the captain, the player well we have a fair few mids not getting midfield time.
Agree he hasn't been the best Captain but it really isn't a benchmark as a Captain replacement. That should be Maxwell and just another reason we fell so far away from grace.

Agree he hasn't been the best Captain but it really isn't a benchmark as a Captain replacement. That should be Maxwell and just another reason we fell so far away from grace.
Maxwell? You mean the guy you used to s**t on all the time and call 'the finger pointer'?

As most of us predicted we would go after Lynch next year, well here is the confirmation. It certainly explains why we have been so quiet in this years trade period, Walsh has stated we have no issues with salary which is great to hear, now we have to just play some decent footy this year, hopefully make the 8 if not push hard, so Lynch can be convinced, if we get Lynch and develop the player nicely who we pick at 6 this year, things looking good!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-18/pies-eyeing-topofthetree-sun-admits-walsh

"COLLINGWOOD football boss Geoff Walsh says the Magpies won't have a problem fitting Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch into their salary cap if they make a play for the forward.

Lynch, who turns 25 in October, is set to be the major prize of the 2018 free agency sweepstakes, and continues to be linked with a move back to Victoria.

Collingwood looms as a likely destination if Lynch chooses to go home, particularly as coach Nathan Buckley prepares to experiment with Darcy Moore as a defender in the pre-season.

"It's 12 months out and (Lynch) is still contracted, so it's a bit wishlist stuff, but suffice to say, he's a top-of-the-tree player," Walsh told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"I think I speak for all clubs, in that if you do set yourself long-term goals – and list managers and recruiting staff do that all the time – you're working in two and three-year cycles to see just what the future does unfold.

"Encapsulated in that is the ability to massage and manage your cap, so that if you do get an opportunity to bring players in, you find yourself in a situation where you either create that room or that you've planned for that room to coincide with players coming in.

"So, I don't think that's an issue here."

The Magpies have been quiet this NAB AFL Trade Period, but are preparing to complete a deal as soon as Wednesday to secure rookie-listed Swan Sam Murray."

I don't think we should even bother taking into account his Free Agency Status. Gold Coast will have the ability to match just about any offer we throw at him, because the AFL will ensure that's the case.

So either way, we'll be forced to trade. Which is why I am a huge advocate of throwing everything at him now. This years first and next years first would be the offer, and possibly even a sweetner like Greenwood.

It's probably too late now in this trade period, but it is comforting to hear we have the salary cap room if we wanted to do it. I'm assuming though that probably means next year when a few contracts expire and we can clear the books a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My assumption was always us going for Lynch and Sloane next year as to why we're quiet this year.

Ned Guy has probably already got Sloane lined up to nominate us next year and we're working on Lynch for next year who happened to be a fanatical Collingwood supporter. Apparently the family still is. Like crazy fanatical so they'll definitely be pushing for him to join the Pies next year methinks.

Its like that cooking story "How To Cook A Bull Elephant"
Step 1: First go out and get a Bull Elephant

i.e. easier said than done
For us I think it's more like we've gone with Step 1: Raise an elephant calf by hand...

I don't think we should even bother taking into account his Free Agency Status. Gold Coast will have the ability to match just about any offer we throw at him, because the AFL will ensure that's the case.

So either way, we'll be forced to trade. Which is why I am a huge advocate of throwing everything at him now. This years first and next years first would be the offer, and possibly even a sweetner like Greenwood.

It's probably too late now in this trade period, but it is comforting to hear we have the salary cap room if we wanted to do it. I'm assuming though that probably means next year when a few contracts expire and we can clear the books a bit.
Been mentioned in other threads, if GC finish at the bottom of the table next year then their compo is pick 2. Chuck our first rounder at them for another lesser player and they’ll get a better deal than they would just for our 2 firsts for Lynch. The AFL will sign off on it if it means a better outcome for their baby, and it means we only give up a first rounder.

He has too much class for that
Will see his contract out and show the right character , then come to us

I think the thought is that we offer Lynch such an offer that GC receive high band 1 compo. As in pick or 1 or 2.

Then we offer to trade for a fringe players(s) for our first rounder, as in more than market value.

Or if they prefer they trade for a ready made player for a pick that is lower than market value.

GC get a pick 1 (Lukosius), their own 1st rounder (which could already be pick 1 or 2). They'd add that to their own 2018 first rounder. Then they'd get our 2018 first rounder or some ready made players at less than market value. That's a good platform for them to relaunch.

It would be a rort of the system but it could favour both clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back