The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suns have a great spine but awful mids. They are bottom 4 next year.

Lynch will have to take unders to come to the pies. Will he do it?
Unders? Compared to what.

Let's say the Suns are going to up his current contract, and then get AFL assistance on top of that. Even then it's only about 1.5 million a year at most.

Collingwood, with smart salary cap management can easily match that. It was widely touted that we had enough money to "fit in" a Devon Smith type contract this year, and that's a good 500-600k right there.

Add the increase in salary cap and hopefully Daniel Wells retiring at the end of 2018 (his choice as stipulated in his contract) and we are almost at 1.5 million already.

As far as the offer we make, you have to remember that Lynch will turn 26 next October, days after the free agency/trade period ends.

I'd be happy with a 5 year, $7.5-8 million offer to be made to him. It wouldn't blow our bank/SC and at the same time wouldn't be too much unders compared to anything any other club will offer. If he really does "love Collingwood" that offer is enough. No need to go nuts.

What we can't be doing though is offerring him a Buddy like length of deal, no more then 6 years for a 26 year old, or else it's just going to come back and bite you on the arse in those final few years, which it will with the Swans and Buddy very soon.

Lynch will change this side, no doubt about that, but he's not the answer to all our problems. I still our defense long term as a massive problem.

Let's say the Suns are going to up his current contract, and then get AFL assistance on top of that. Even then it's only about 1.5 million a year at most.

Collingwood, with smart salary cap management can easily match that. It was widely touted that we had enough money to "fit in" a Devon Smith type contract this year, and that's a good 500-600k right there.

Add the increase in salary cap and hopefully Daniel Wells retiring at the end of 2018 (his choice as stipulated in his contract) and we are almost at 1.5 million already.

As far as the offer we make, you have to remember that Lynch will turn 26 next October, days after the free agency/trade period ends.

I'd be happy with a 5 year, $7.5-8 million offer to be made to him. It wouldn't blow our bank/SC and at the same time wouldn't be too much unders compared to anything any other club will offer. If he really does "love Collingwood" that offer is enough. No need to go nuts.

What we can't be doing though is offerring him a Buddy like length of deal, no more then 6 years for a 26 year old, or else it's just going to come back and bite you on the arse in those final few years, which it will with the Swans and Buddy very soon.

Lynch will change this side, no doubt about that, but he's not the answer to all our problems. I still our defense long term as a massive problem.

paying Lynch 1.2m+ is insane and way overs imo. its a recipe for disaster.

paying Lynch 1.2m+ is insane and way overs imo. its a recipe for disaster.
Lynch will not sign for anyone in 2019 for under $1.5 million a year. If he does his management have failed him poorly. Someone will offer even more than that. So 1.5 a year is actually what we should offer, if we really want him.

Ina

I actually hope a fit wells plays on

$550k for Wells and $450k for Mayne best case scenario. $600k and $500k worst case.

$100-200k difference depending on who you ask. Wells may retire next year, so there’s $600k freed up already.

Lynch will not sign for anyone in 2019 for under $1.5 million a year. If he does his management have failed him poorly. Someone will offer even more than that. So 1.5 a year is actually what we should offer, if we really want him.
If he comes to the pies for 8-9 years and wins a flag and retired a Collingwood hero, what do you you think that does for earning potential for 20 years after he retires?

$1.2 and the right pitch could get it for done IMO. And a good manager should be talking about that too.

$550k for Wells and $450k for Mayne best case scenario. $600k and $500k worst case.

$100-200k difference depending on who you ask. Wells may retire next year, so there’s $600k freed up already.

Im sure we could find the money. I'm just against investing that much into one player.

He's a nice player but he isnt Buddy or Carey.

In a year or 2 we'll have to deal with treloar, adams, moore, degoey. If Lynch gets 1.2M they'll all put their hands out.

Geelong and Hawthorn have shown to be successful long term players dont get market value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch any Suns games this year? I watched a few and he didn't have much impact. I don't get the hype, from what I've seen, he's a damn sight closer to Josh Jenkins than Tony Lockett.

Lmfao. People need to move on the days of having your big power forward combos. Because guess? what its dead. The game has evolved.

Richmond and Bulldogs both smashed teams with 2 power forwards. The last 2 premiers have had small forward lines with 1 target. Even Hawks during there three peat really didnt have your traditional twin power forward set up.

Its honestly a myth the people need to move away from. Unless Moore is planning to play back and lynch will be our target then itll probably work.

But the price will be stupid.

Did you watch any Suns games this year? I watched a few and he didn't have much impact. I don't get the hype, from what I've seen, he's a damn sight closer to Josh Jenkins than Tony Lockett.
Better than josh Jenkins
Not close to tony Lockett (if only)

Lmfao. People need to move on the days of having your big power forward combos. Because guess? what its dead. The game has evolved.

Richmond and Bulldogs both smashed teams with 2 power forwards. The last 2 premiers have had small forward lines with 1 target. Even Hawks during there three peat really didnt have your traditional twin power forward set up.

Its honestly a myth the people need to move away from. Unless Moore is planning to play back and lynch will be our target then itll probably work.

Interesting point of view.

One thing I do predict, another Carey or Lockett comes along, there'll dominate all over again.

The thing about Lynch is that we can easily afford him next year.Look at some of the players on our list.Blair has one more year on his contract,so has Goldsack,Sinclair and Oxley could easily be delisted next year.The loss of those four players would cover Lynch's salary,and that's without considering that Wells might retire a year early,and Fasolo might head home to Western Australia next year.So it's very doable from a salary cap point of view.I just wonder though,do we have the negotiating skills to pull off a trade like this?Other clubs seem to be able to do this sort of thing quite effortlessly,but not us,unfortunately.We have become the soft touch of the A.F.L when it comes to trading with other clubs.

Defending has changed so much. Simply pagans paddock is laughable now. They would just drop 1/2 extra spares if you attempted to empty the fwd50 out.
Pretty much.

But a Lockett would smash a way through, because elite will always be elite

Pretty much.

But a Lockett would smash a way through, because elite will always be elite

Yep....how would you like to be the mid that gets sent to "just block space in front of Plugger":huh:
Besides Buddy there just aren't many elite power forwards around any more. Bring back a big MEAN FF and watch those "extra" defenders get shaky!

I don't reckon the days of two tall forwards is gone. I do think any forwards need the mobility to contribute to the zone. But I wouldn't get caught up in the Bulldogs and Tigers forward structures and let that dictate our recruiting strategy. All they proved to me is you can win in spite of a small forward line. I still think it's an advantage to have a couple of quality key forwards. I think it would be a mistake to ignore key forwards as a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back