The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't reckon the days of two tall forwards is gone. I do think any forwards need the mobility to contribute to the zone. But I wouldn't get caught up in the Bulldogs and Tigers forward structures and let that dictate our recruiting strategy. All they proved to me is you can win in spite of a small forward line. I still think it's an advantage to have a couple of quality key forwards. I think it would be a mistake to ignore key forwards as a need.

I agree. Small forward lines aren't new...1990Gf anyone?? It's about having DANGEROUS forwards. ATM we have Elliot who's actually dangerous. We've got to get more dangerous!!

Pretty much.

But a Lockett would smash a way through, because elite will always be elite
Absolutely, a fast, flat pass to a leading forward is still pretty much unstoppable. Hence why the pressure is directed at the ball carrier by the midfield.

I don't reckon the days of two tall forwards is gone. I do think any forwards need the mobility to contribute to the zone. But I wouldn't get caught up in the Bulldogs and Tigers forward structures and let that dictate our recruiting strategy. All they proved to me is you can win in spite of a small forward line. I still think it's an advantage to have a couple of quality key forwards. I think it would be a mistake to ignore key forwards as a need.
Agree, l think you can get away with one power forward but not two. The other one should be a Moore type. Two good big guys with the rest small and mid type who can be good at ground level. Be dangerous and any back line will struggle.

Hardest part is getting them to nominate you

Yep. We just have to get him to nominate us as his club of choice and that he wants out of the Suns. They won’t match his contract offer if he goes public in not wanting to be there. Once this happens the deal/Trade etc will take care of itself. As others have said he is managed by Paul Connors so if he chooses us then we will get him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing about Lynch is that we can easily afford him next year.Look at some of the players on our list.Blair has one more year on his contract,so has Goldsack,Sinclair and Oxley could easily be delisted next year.The loss of those four players would cover Lynch's salary,and that's without considering that Wells might retire a year early,and Fasolo might head home to Western Australia next year.So it's very doable from a salary cap point of view.I just wonder though,do we have the negotiating skills to pull off a trade like this?Other clubs seem to be able to do this sort of thing quite effortlessly,but not us,unfortunately.We have become the soft touch of the A.F.L when it comes to trading with other clubs.
We'll be better equiped at the negotiation table with Ned Guy I would think....that's why Pies have got him need to strengthen our list management personal. He'll get it done.

We couldn’t even land Schache how are we going to land Lynch. WB Essendon and Carlton will want him. Essendon are a club on the rise that’s who he would be best going to.

We couldn’t even land Schache how are we going to land Lynch. WB Essendon and Carlton will want him. Essendon are a club on the rise that’s who he would be best going to.
Bit hard to land players if you don’t go after them in the first place

TG did we even want Schache? Can’t recall the club saying we were keen.

If the rumours are to be believed we have been working on him and his family for years.

What we need to do is show improvement on last season to build hope and also hope the Suns fall in a heap on the field.

Our main competition for him will come from Hawthorn, Carlton, Saints & even North IMO. We just need to look more attractive long term than them.

What part of Walsh saying we aren’t interested in Schache didn’t you understand?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So i'm watching Planet Earth II. And theres this Bobcat hunting in the snow. He's leaping up all comic like and face planting into the snow. Chasing mice. I was thinking * that's the perfect face palm gif. Perfect. If it existed i'd use it now.

TG did we even want Schache? Can’t recall the club saying we were keen.

If the rumours are to be believed we have been working on him and his family for years.

What we need to do is show improvement on last season to build hope and also hope the Suns fall in a heap on the field.

Our main competition for him will come from Hawthorn, Carlton, Saints & even North IMO. We just need to look more attractive long term than them.

If case you haven’t noticed we don’t have much tall forward talent on the list to watch develop.

So you accept that? That’s it.
Given that he said it at the start of the trade period, yes. By all means though, continue imagining that we were feverishly chasing his services and we ‘missed out’ on him.

So you accept that? That’s it.
I would say there was a good chance that if we had wanted him, schache would have been ours. So yes that’s it tg.

Given that he said it at the start of the trade period, yes. By all means though, continue imagining that we were feverishly chasing his services and we ‘missed out’ on him.
Well don’t get your hopes up if he doesn’t come in 2018. Hope we have a back up plan. Seems Collingwood isn’t good at that.

Interesting point of view.

One thing I do predict, another Carey or Lockett comes along, there'll dominate all over again.

I've tried to explain to some younger footy fans just how good these guys were, and how they absolutely dominated. But do you think the way modern footy is played, that they could have it all to themselves in quite the same way? Will we ever see that again?

I'd like us to get Lynch, and we will have to pay to get him, but it should not be at the expense of properly compensating the Moores, Do Goeys, Grundys, etc, as they come on.

Last edited:
I've tried to explain to some younger footy fans just how good these guys were, and how they absolutely dominated. But do you think the way modern footy is played, that they could have it all to themselves in quite the same way? Will we ever see that again?

Dunstall's brilliant leading and the all round tricks of Gary Ablett snr would also translate very well to today.

They would not kick as many goals per game because of greater emphasis on team defence, but they would be better forwards than anyone playing today including Buddy (better overhead marks).

Leigh Matthews and Daics would also carve it up as small forwards/mids.

So i'm watching Planet Earth II. And theres this Bobcat hunting in the snow. He's leaping up all comic like and face planting into the snow. Chasing mice. I was thinking **** that's the perfect face palm gif. Perfect. If it existed i'd use it now.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back