The "We must get Tom Lynch at all costs...or maybe not" Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't reckon the days of two tall forwards is gone. I do think any forwards need the mobility to contribute to the zone. But I wouldn't get caught up in the Bulldogs and Tigers forward structures and let that dictate our recruiting strategy. All they proved to me is you can win in spite of a small forward line. I still think it's an advantage to have a couple of quality key forwards. I think it would be a mistake to ignore key forwards as a need.

Absolutely. I can't see Cox doing that for us or Reid.

Reids mobility is fine imo. Cox is a big question mark. He isn't slow, but he isn't agile either and his fitness is still off the mark.

I really fear Reid is in decline. Just too many years struggling with injury and fluctuating form, in an indifferent side. Think it has taken its toll on him, although I hope I'm wrong.

I really fear Reid is in decline. Just too many years struggling with injury and fluctuating form, in an indifferent side. Think it has taken its toll on him, although I hope I'm wrong.

You look at Reid. And you look at Varcoe. You look at Broomhead and Sinclair. And that's where the value of a good high performance manager will come. I don't subscribe to the theory Reid is over the hill. But we need to get the right support in place to ensure he has a full career that isn't cut short by his injuries. That's the value and importance of getting that decision right.

Is anyone able to access this article?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/851d720fb81b98c9b8270a5569baca7b

THE AFL's northern rivers of gold have evaporated, with only a modest AFL ambassadorship available to Tom Lynch if he stays at Gold Coast. Lynch's pay packet already hovers around $1 million at the Gold Coast, with the AFL adamant it would only consider a deal after he re-signed.

I can get the first bit from google, but I'm interested to read the rest.

Looks like Gold Coast may not be as lucrative as it was previously assumed.

Is anyone able to access this article?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/851d720fb81b98c9b8270a5569baca7b

I can get the first bit from google, but I'm interested to read the rest.

Looks like Gold Coast may not be as lucrative as it was previously assumed.
To summarise:
Lynch will only get 50k to be an AFL ambassador.
Ablett only got 50k but had a lucrative deal with Gatorade.
Zorko gets 25k.
Hipwood gets 15k for Auskick.
Brisbane tried to get Hodge an ambassor deal but the AFL knocked it on the head.
The Hunt and Folau style deals are no more.
Pendles earns the most but majority is paid by Telstra and Gatorade.

To summarise:
Zorko gets 25k.
Brisbane tried to get Hodge an ambassor deal but the AFL knocked it on the head.
Cheers, thanks for that. Well at least that's some good news.

To summarise:
Zorko gets 25k.

If this is true then the last paragraph is the most significant in terms of Tom Lynch's future.

We are not an expansion club, our players do not get AFL ambassador roles, the media seemingly have a vendetta against the club with the constant negative sentiment around us and we are going poorly on the field, yet our player (who despite his brilliance as a player is far less marketable than many) is the highest paid from external sources. That's Collingwood.

If Lynch comes to Collingwood he will get that, plus greater prospects of lucrative media roles during and after his career (if he wants them). If he's leaving, we're in this.

You look at Reid. And you look at Varcoe. You look at Broomhead and Sinclair. And that's where the value of a good high performance manager will come. I don't subscribe to the theory Reid is over the hill. But we need to get the right support in place to ensure he has a full career that isn't cut short by his injuries. That's the value and importance of getting that decision right.

I subscribe to the theory Reid will be 30 next year.

By the sounds of Stuart Dew in a recent interview, he is playing a straight bat and doesn't know how long Tom Lynch is going to take to make a decision about his future. If Gold Coast start preparing for Lynch to go like Hawthorn did with Franklin in his last season, expect him to be pushed further up the ground throughout the season with Peter Wright getting more opportunities at full forward. They are playing their cards close to their chest but it seems very likely he's on the move.

I subscribe to the theory Reid will be 30 next year.

Delightfully dismissive. Reid signed a 5 year contract with us and we didn't get a lot of value of it considering what we paid. I imagine our fortunes would be a lot different if we could have gotten Reid and our other best players on the field more regularly. That was my point. Invest in high performance smartly and there could be some pretty impressive returns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delightfully dismissive. Reid signed a 5 year contract with us and we didn't get a lot of value of it considering what we paid. I imagine our fortunes would be a lot different if we could have gotten Reid and our other best players on the field more regularly. That was my point. Invest in high performance smartly and there could be some pretty impressive returns.

You were replying to a post that said he was in decline. At his age and with his history its hard to argue against. Hopefully his decline is gradual and he can contribute as well as he has so far this season (ok in round one in unsuitable conditions and very good last start albeit against weak opposition).

Reid is getting on in years is irreversible.

Sure, better player management will always help but some players will just be injury prone.

We need Lynch in 2019. All the eggs seem to be in that basket and rightfully so.

To achieve that we need a decent season in 2018. For two reasons....1 to encourage Lynch to make the move....and 2 to build trade value in the players we will need to hand over to the Suns to get the deal done. (Well there are more than two reasons but I've isolated Lynch related reasons only).

If this is true then the last paragraph is the most significant in terms of Tom Lynch's future.

We are not an expansion club, our players do not get AFL ambassador roles, the media seemingly have a vendetta against the club with the constant negative sentiment around us and we are going poorly on the field, yet our player (who despite his brilliance as a player is far less marketable than many) is the highest paid from external sources. That's Collingwood.

If Lynch comes to Collingwood he will get that, plus greater prospects of lucrative media roles during and after his career (if he wants them). If he's leaving, we're in this.
To sponsors, a Collingwood in turmoil is almost as lucrative as a Collingwood having success. Take this week's banner. Which one would a sponsor rather be on. A correct banner that gets shown once or the "Tonihgt" banner which has been replayed all week?

IF he comes to Collingwood and wins a flag he will never have to pay for beer or dinner again in his life.

IF he comes to Collingwood and wins a flag he will never have to pay for beer or dinner again in his life.
Until he stuffs up,

But he won’t :)

Did you say that about Jolly?
I said it about Luke Ball.
I actually predicted that we needed Jolly and would poach him a year before it happened.....
I predicted and posted that Nick Maxwell would one day be Collingwood Captain in his first year, that he would be a Premiership Captain in his first year as Captain. These facts are documented on BF.
I am an oracle............

Bow before me.....

Oops
Did I write that out loud?

To sponsors, a Collingwood in turmoil is almost as lucrative as a Collingwood having success. Take this week's banner. Which one would a sponsor rather be on. A correct banner that gets shown once or the "Tonihgt" banner which has been replayed all week?

That's actually a very salient point. It's almost more lucrative to back us when we're down, because you can almost guarantee that'll get more airplay!

I actually predicted that we needed Jolly and would poach him a year before it happened.....
I predicted and posted that Nick Maxwell would one day be Collingwood Captain in his first year, that he would be a Premiership Captain in his first year as Captain. These facts are documented on BF.

Bow before me.....

Oops
Was a tongue in cheek comment.
I was referring to never having to pay for a beer or dinner. Jolly's not as popular now as the average Collingwood premiership player.

Bow before me.....

Oops
Luke Ball would get the benefits you described. Because he’s a nice bloke.
Jolly however......

Jolly will be the last player of that team to get life membership
Yeah great ruckman and a key cog in our premiership side but emptied the can over the club by misusing his position in the media - no class at all.
Certainly deserves life membership but I definitely wouldn't cross the road to shake his hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back