WE MUST KEEP ACRES

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I love Frederick on a wing.... The bloke has kicked 26 goals and 14 behinds this season.

He kicked 2 or 3 goals tonight didn't he?
I don't want to lose his goals but he is being used all over the ground more as his fitness builds.

Next season our forward line is in rebuild mode, which means changes. Amiss, Treacy, Sturt and Jackson seem to be part of that transformation, and perhaps Acres leaves.

Still too many aimless up and unders for my liking. Only a very occasional lowering of the eyes. But he did take himself off my scapegoat list this year.

Can be replaced - Johnson for a start. Could be a revelation.

Don’t blame the inadequacies of our forward line on Acres.

He is definitely partly to blame. When Blake was on Old Bull Young Buck, he described his high bombs into the forward line as a feature, not a bug.

If you have a hard running wingman intentionally delivering those unmarkable nightmares to our forwards... then yes, it hurts our scoring ability.

Elite wingers will lower the eyes, and kick a dart to a lead.

You’d argue those long high bombs are also a reflection of our game plan

If we have no decent forward structure in place, (which is often..) it’s a high bomb on to Lobb’s head in the hope he can create a contest or get it over the line for us to set up and go again

With Lobb going, that strategy isn’t going to be an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is definitely partly to blame. When Blake was on Old Bull Young Buck, he described his high bombs into the forward line as a feature, not a bug.
From memory a couple of them were out to the pocket to someone outnumbered, hardly great decision making.

I remember how Ed Langdon's "long bombs" (his biggest criticism too) magically disappeared when he joined a team who had a forward line with decent leading patterns...

I remember how Ed Langdon's "long bombs" (his biggest criticism too) magically disappeared when he joined a team who had a forward line with decent leading patterns...
My biggest criticism of him back in the day was his turnovers and missed soda’s.

Now it’s his constant campaigning against RTB and general mouthiness. Got ahead himself somewhat.

My biggest criticism of him back in the day was his turnovers and missed soda’s.

Now it’s his constant campaigning against RTB and general mouthiness. Got ahead himself somewhat.
He has a premiership medal, he’s probably not ******* wrong.

I assume the coaches/Wallsy think there is someone else that can step up. For all his faults, its hard to argue we are better without him.

Yep. He wins a lot of contested ball because he is so big and solid. In a lot of ways he is the anti-Brad Hill, and that's not a knock. Two years on decent coin would be fine. Just lower the eyes Blake. Look for Amiss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acres was one of our best. As he was in the win against Geelong. He’s a must keep IMO.

We’ve been murdered on the wing for ages.

Don’t blame the inadequacies of our forward line on Acres.

Like in the first quarter when he had two free players 40 out and bypassed them to bomb it long where we were outnumbered?

Acres can't make short/risky kicks that require more of a bullet. That's what you need to make switches, move through the corridor, and hit leading forwards. This feeds into the rainmakers, because he takes that option as he knows he can't execute the short option unless the player is in acres (pun intended) of space.

I love when he goes for an inside ball get , uses his body to create space around the ball bumping any opposition player away, then gets it to the oustide. He does it a lot and its very effective.

Like in the first quarter when he had two free players 40 out and bypassed them to bomb it long where we were outnumbered?

Acres can't make short/risky kicks that require more of a bullet. That's what you need to make switches, move through the corridor, and hit leading forwards. This feeds into the rainmakers, because he takes that option as he knows he can't execute the short option unless the player is in acres (pun intended) of space.

this…he’s Garrick Ibnotson on a wing…except with more loopy kicks

When Blake was on Old Bull Young Buck, he described his high bombs into the forward line as a feature, not a bug.

Lol, Nearly fell out of my chair when he said that. Couldn't believe it and presumed the coaches would have sorted it the following week.

He does a lot of good stuff,, keeps width, provides outlet, big enough to create and win a contest, but those flower bags have gotta go.

Happy to keep him at a fair price.

I really don't mind us losing him.

I think O'Driscoll and Aish offer more value on the wing. Chapman or Young would be very good there as well.

If we get a second round pick for him, that is a win
All those players except Aish are incredibly inexperienced and will take several years to play that wing role to the level that Acres played it this year.

You compare him to Josh Daicos.
Which are you taking for a wing spot?
Every club in the league will pick Daicos every day of the week.
He’s been decent this year but those F50 entries are just rotten.
Losing Mundy will hurt and we need class to deliver i50.
Maybe Henry is the answer

I think we are playing the long game.

We are making trades that will improve us in 2 or 3 years, not next year.

It’s got that feel to it.
There’s a possibility that our path will not be lineal as we integrate Johnson and Erasmus, Amiss etc into this team on a more full time basis.

We need O’Driscoll to play every game and get to Acres level of possessions and be brave going forward

You compare him to Josh Daicos.
Which are you taking for a wing spot?
Every club in the league will pick Daicos every day of the week.
He’s been decent this year but those F50 entries are just rotten.
Losing Mundy will hurt and we need class to deliver i50.
Maybe Henry is the answer
It's irrelevant whether you think Daicos is better (I do). We're not picking between Acres and Daicos. We are picking between Acres and Henry/Worner/Hughes/some draft pick.

You might as well say you would rather peak Peter Matera.

That said, I'm easy either way as long as we don't get bent over in trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back