List Mgmt. WE MUST RE-SIGN HAMLING

Remove this Banner Ad

So you admit Hamling is nothing more than depth. Why would a 31 year old want to spend the rest of his career as depth when he can get the same money regularly playing in a contending team?
This is why the club needs to do everything they can to sweeten an offer. offering him 1 yr is just a slap in his face. Plus as he showed this season he can offer more than depth, and play alongside some of our bigger guys.

You seem to think that 22 players is all you need and depth is not critical. If you're happy with Davies and Draper as our KPB back ups, then expect us to improve as a club then you're dreaming. We're skint down back now after losing Logue and Hamling in the last 2 off seasons. really stuffed is Pearce's body breaks down again.

This is why the club needs to do everything they can to sweeten an offer. offering him 1 yr is just a slap in his face. Plus as he showed this season he can offer more than depth, and play alongside some of our bigger guys.

You seem to think that 22 players is all you need and depth is not critical. If you're happy with Davies and Draper as our KPB back ups, then expect us to improve as a club then you're dreaming. We're skint down back now after losing Logue and Hamling in the last 2 off seasons. really stuffed is Pearce's body breaks down again.
Club gave him another year. And Davies and Draper aren’t our backup. Ryan, Chapman and Hughes are. And I’m more than ok with that

I don’t think the offer can be sweetened anymore mate. I’m on record saying that we should keep Hamling (when lots of people had him delisted here half way through the season) but not at all cost. If we signed him for another 2-3 years and his ankle got stuffed up again there would be a massive outrage here (and rightly so). But more importantly we viewed him as depth (again, rightly so) with no guarantee of b22 spot. Sydney can guarantee that and hence him going there. It really is a no brainer for all parties involved.

The club made the right decision here

Club gave him another year. And Davies and Draper aren’t our backup. Ryan, Chapman and Hughes are. And I’m more than ok with that
Ryan isnt a backup, he's already playing full time.

Chapman and Hughes are hardly big enough to stand a Tom Hawkins or Daniher type Key Forward like Hamling. And last time i checked, Chapman cant even get on the park. He could be the next Morabita for all we know. So you're ok with watching Hughes stand on someone like Tom Hawkins? as Hamling did this year?

I don’t think the offer can be sweetened anymore mate. I’m on record saying that we should keep Hamling (when lots of people had him delisted here half way through the season) but not at all cost. If we signed him for another 2-3 years and his ankle got stuffed up again there would be a massive outrage here (and rightly so). But more importantly we viewed him as depth (again, rightly so) with no guarantee of b22 spot. Sydney can guarantee that and hence him going there. It really is a no brainer for all parties involved.

The club made the right decision here
Sure it can. we have no idea what he wanted and what the money is, but most people in life want security. you couldve probably paid him less and offered him 2 years with a trigger for a 3rd. Everyone wins. Staying in Perth was his 1st priority, but with a 1 yr deal that's a slap with the talent, experience and leadership he has. Our club is failing so badly at keeping our list depth. Each year we lose depth players, as if we think we'll never get injuries to our first choice team. Keeping 30-35 top flight players, all fighting for a spot is how premiership teams are built. We're sooooo lacking in depth across all lines it's not funny

So you're ok with watching HUghes stand on someone like Tom Hawkins? as Hamling did this year?
???
If anything that Geelong game proves the point. Hamling was in the side and yet Ryan played on Cameron and Peace on Hawkins whilst Joel was relegated to playing as a regular lockdown medium defender.
He's almost certainly finished as a AFL standard key back. Sydney feel they can take that risk he's not, but that's coming from a position of having around 1 decent KPD left on the list likely to available Rd 1 2024.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I accept that Hamling wanted to be assured of time in a senior team.

We offer him 2 years, ..... “Freo giving old farts 2 year contracts, will they never learn !!!”. He takes the Sydney offer, ..... “Why are Freo giving away a valuable depth player ..... “.

Loved how Hamling resurrected himself, massive credit. The way I look at it, it now opens up a door for a youngster to prove themselves.

Whilst I’m here, bit tired of the Pearce bashing. Sure he started the season slowly, but he worked for the team. To some, he is an easy target.
Defended Joel all through the year, actually happy he gets to leave and play elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back